Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2011, 12:52 PM

1,090 posts, read 3,170,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Pinky, my stepdaughter just graduated from college and has moved to the city and landed a position as a receptionist in Midtown for $45,000. She has zero experience. She competed with Wharton and Brown grads for the position and got it with a degree from the University of South Carolina.
I worked at an agency with some of the biggest financial firms out there and receptionist positions generally paid $15+/hr. Esp. without experience. Seems like she hit the jackpot. What company and/or industry is she in? I can understand why they chose her over someone who graduated from Wharton or Brown, as those are some top tier schools and employers know that people that graduated from them aren't going to sit in a receptionist position for more than the blink of an eye...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 01:11 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,789,859 times
Default Connections trump resume

Quote:
Pinky, my stepdaughter just graduated from college and has moved to the city and landed a position as a receptionist in Midtown for $45,000. She has zero experience. She competed with Wharton and Brown grads for the position and got it with a degree from the University of South Carolina.
Is she physically attractive? Was her interviewer a guy? Who did she know at the company prior to the interview? My guess is she had a connection..oir was the prettiest candidate out of all the women that interviewed for the job..

Old 06-16-2011, 01:23 PM

216 posts, read 373,344 times
Quote:
Good for your step-daughter I hope it works out for her.

Old 06-16-2011, 01:26 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,606,467 times
Yeah the $45k receptionist job definitely sounds like a sweetheart deal of some sort. $35k to start with no exp. would be a ton more believable. And who passes up a Wharton grad for a state school grad anyway? I think the boobs n' butt factor trumped everything else there, as it's wont to do sometimes.

Old 06-16-2011, 02:33 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,141,190 times
Hahaha! Yes, she's very smart, Mensa and loads of common sense. She's also very beautiful, organized, and well mannered.

What got her the job was that while waiting with the other grads in the conference room to be interviewed, she got up and cleaned the conference room.

I also think what made her stand out is that she is different. She didn't come from a northeastern school.

She is working long hours, 60+ per week but she's very happy. She got hired about a month ago.

Old 06-16-2011, 02:36 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,079,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
Is she physically attractive? Was her interviewer a guy? Who did she know at the company prior to the interview? My guess is she had a connection..oir was the prettiest candidate out of all the women that interviewed for the job..
She musy have been preety and had that sweet girl daisy dukes accent, and she was from south carolina. How can any employer pass that up.

Old 06-16-2011, 02:42 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,344,522 times
Quote:
Hahaha! Yes, she's very smart, Mensa and loads of common sense. She's also very beautiful, organized, and well mannered.

What got her the job was that while waiting with the other grads in the conference room to be interviewed, she got up and cleaned the conference room.

I also think what made her stand out is that she is different. She didn't come from a northeastern school.

She is working long hours, 60+ per week but she's very happy. She got hired about a month ago.
Just FYI according to NYS DOL if she is working more than 40 hours a week, each of those additional hours should be paid at time and a half. If they claim she's exempt from that (as in only gets her salary no matter how many hours she works) and is not paying her OT, they are cheating her.

Old 06-16-2011, 03:09 PM

[quote=blueherons;19620586]Hahaha! Yes, she's very smart, Mensa and loads of common sense. She's also very beautiful, organized, and well mannered.

She is working long hours, 60+ per week but she's very happy. She got hired about a month ago.[/quote]

Ahhh...I see...if you do the math on that it's really like she's making more like $14.24-15.62/hr which is a joke. Now I believe you. This makes sense.
Being a beautiful kiss ***** also helps. I've always considered myself extra friendly and helpful, but who the hell seriously gets up and cleans the place before they interview? That's just overkill.
Sorry..no offense.

Old 06-16-2011, 03:22 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,344,522 times
Default An Oldie But Goodie ...

... how about the attorney's office that posted an ad in 2009 for a secretary on craigslist in which part of the duties would be sex?

Here's the story:

Lawyer of the Day Last Week: Seeking a Sexy Secretary « Above the Law: A Legal Tabloid - News and Colorful Commentary on Law Firms and the Legal Profession

Quote:
Loop law firm looking to hire am [sic] energetic woman for their open secretary/legal assistant position. Duties will include general secretarial work, some paralegal work and additional duties for two lawyers in the firm. No experience required, training will be provided. Generous annual salary and benefits will be provided, including medical, dental, life, disability, 401(k) etc. If interested, please send current resume and a few pictures along with a description of your physical features, including measurements. We look forward to meeting you.

As this is posted in the “adult gigs” section, in addition to the legal work, you would be required to have sexual interaction with me and my partner, sometimes together sometimes separate. This part of the job would require sexy dressing and flirtatious interaction with me and my partner, as well as sexual interaction. You will have to be comfortable doing this with us.

Lastly, we’ve actually hired a couple of girls in the past for this position. But they have not been able to handle the sexual aspect of the job later. We have to be sure you’re comfortable with that aspect, because I don’t want you to do anything that you’re not comfortable with. So since that time, we’ve decided that as part of the interview process you’ll be required to perform for us sexually (i didn’t do this before with the other girls i hired, now i think i have to because they couldn’t handle it). Because that aspect is an integral part of the job, I think it’s necessary to see if you can do that, because it’ll predict future behavior of you being able to handle it when you have the job.
The pay? Between $50K and $75K.

So THAT'S what you've gotta do to earn over $40K a year in an office from a craigslist ad job!

Old 06-16-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
... how about the attorney's office that posted an ad in 2009 for a secretary on craigslist in which part of the duties would be sex?

Here's the story:

Lawyer of the Day Last Week: Seeking a Sexy Secretary « Above the Law: A Legal Tabloid - News and Colorful Commentary on Law Firms and the Legal Profession

The pay? Between $50K and $75K.

So THAT'S what you've gotta do to earn over $40K a year in an office from a craigslist ad job!
Shoot that's all?!

A little bit of prostitution and YOU TOO can make a whopping 50k a year! Why didn't I think of that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City