Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 04:53 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,809,438 times

Advertisements

Wow... I didn't realized Blacks, Hispanics and Asians forced white people to move... that is news to me...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 05:45 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,614,204 times
/\ Wow, I didn't know Whites and Asian gentrifiers are casuing Blacks and Latinos to move either. Funny huh?

Playing stupid is cute in Middle school, not so much when people actually are trying to generate a genuine conversation.

Old 06-16-2011, 05:52 PM

Obviously you didn't get what i meant by that so I'll use small words... Unfortunately, when Blacks and Hispanics move into white areas, for the most part prices go down... however as soon as these white and asian gentrifiers move into minority areas... guess what happens? Do we need to keep on going back and forth when we both know the reality...

I can't tell you how many times I've heard that ridiculous line about how if whites didn't complain about there areas integrating in the 60s and 70s neither should Black and Hispanics when the difference was that they actually moved because of their own choosing and fear of integration...

Old 06-16-2011, 09:54 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,451,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
@ cocoave, if what you say is true... which to me is sad because Bed-stuy had always been Brooklyn's Harlem, then there's no stopping its transition to become Bedford Ave 2 though to a more sustained level... This may sound racist but honestly this is not my intention... if you weren't Black and you lived or walked on Malcolm X especially on the B38 route by the PJs you had a problem... Even 5 years ago, that was as bad as it got for Bed-stuy... I'd even put it ahead of Nostrand in terms of blocks you wouldn't walk on...

While I am happy that the neighborhood is getting better, it's sad to see how many black folks are getting displaced by the transplants... Not everyone there even on Malcolm X was a thug... Just like any working class hood it had its good and its bad and unfortunately both are getting priced out...
Quote:
Obviously you didn't get what i meant by that so I'll use small words... Unfortunately, when Blacks and Hispanics move into white areas, for the most part prices go down... however as soon as these white and asian gentrifiers move into minority areas... guess what happens? Do we need to keep on going back and forth when we both know the reality...
You seem like one of those people who still talk about what happened "back then". That mentality will only get you so far, and probably not in the right direction. I'll explain and use your post as my guide in a sense.

Bed-Stuy was like Brooklyn's harlem? Okay, but what's sad about cleaning up areas that were known notoriously? For crime? For people getting mugged for no reason? Please explain. Don't bring up the whole "Oh, it's the vibe/culture that blacks created for that area"

Another thing I HATE that you guys seem to love to say is "blacks are being displaced" WTF?!! What are they doing that they can't afford the rents any longer? How long do/should people ask for the government to help them out? I just don't understand. I'm sorry but if you can't keep up with the city taxes and increases or whatever you SHOULD leave. It's life. Oh well. Cry me a river blacks are being kicked out (you guys are so dramatic). . . ROTF this kills me. I'm sorry.

Oh and since WHEN blacks move into an area prices go down? LMFAO Which areas? Chelsea? UES? Astoria? NOPE! Prices are still high and diverse. You know why? Because people (with sense) know every black person isn't a thug and/or trying to rob/kill them. Some black people still have that "Oh no I don't want to move to ______ because that's a white neighborhood" So sad. I'm not saying white people people don't do that, I'm saying PEOPLE in general shouldn't contribute to that mess. Look at the neighborhood for what it is, not who's in it.

Lastly before any one tries to throw stones, I'm black and hispanic and I'm from Bed-Stuy. Grew up on Madison. I was born in the 'hood' but that doesn't mean I had to become a statistic.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:48 PM

Since when has Chelsea, UES and Astoria been a hot spot for black folks moving in on the regular... I'm not talking about one or two families...

Honestly @ studded leather, I'm really surprised you feel that way and no offense but it makes me question the truthness of that last statement... Only an ignorant person or someone who chooses to be blind to the reality will say that displacement has never occured in any of these areas, I won't even get into that... That's just obvious... Now, to what extent is a different story and I'm not saying it's rampid but it does happen...

Second, I have been a victim of the white people having a stigma against black and hispanic folks many a time when trying to move to a better neighborhood, and it was only until recently that black folks started moving into my area of Ridgewood past woodward ave down to Fresh Pond Rd. because for years they had been denied...

Never forget when family members of mine who could pass for italian tried to buy a house in Ridgewood along the Forest and Norman block. Everything was going smoothly and they were about to sign the paperwork when the owner of the house starts looking at my family member more closely and then he asks what part of Italy are you from? He said: I'm from Puerto Rico, and the rest was history... Eventually we did find a nice place here in Ridgewood but it wasn't without first getting rejected numerous times...

It really pains me to see how oblivious and how people can simply disregard the obvious prejudices that still take place so frequently to this day... Gentrification is the biggest example of that... The definition claims that it's all about class but parts of Bed-stuy and Harlem aside, is that really the case? What is the driving force behind gentrification? Better yet, if the homes that had been sold in Bed-stuy to middle class whites were instead sold to middle class Blacks and the demographics remained similar to the 90s era though a completely different class of people... would the housing prices and apartment rentals have skyrocketed the way they did? Come on now...

It gets really tiresome debating with people who know the truth and simply choose to ignore it or tell us because they're not the dealing with it, to get over with it... The sheer arrogance of some people is mind-boggling to me... I really am debating closing this account because for one, unless my opinion is for the masses I cannot speak on here (even if it is the truth)... and 2) when I do say something that everyone knows is valid, I get crucified, labeled a drama queen, an exaggerator, fear-mongerer... The whole routine is just getting really tired...

Old 06-16-2011, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Since when has Chelsea, UES and Astoria been a hot spot for black folks moving in on the regular... I'm not talking about one or two families...

Honestly @ studded leather, I'm really surprised you feel that way and no offense but it makes me question the truthness of that last statement... Only an ignorant person or someone who chooses to be blind to the reality will say that displacement has never occured in any of these areas, I won't even get into that... That's just obvious... Now, to what extent is a different story and I'm not saying it's rampid but it does happen...

Second, I have been a victim of the white people having a stigma against black and hispanic folks many a time when trying to move to a better neighborhood, and it was only until recently that black folks started moving into my area of Ridgewood past woodward ave down to Fresh Pond Rd. because for years they had been denied...

Never forget when family members of mine who could pass for italian tried to buy a house in Ridgewood along the Forest and Norman block. Everything was going smoothly and they were about to sign the paperwork when the owner of the house starts looking at my family member more closely and then he asks what part of Italy are you from? He said: I'm from Puerto Rico, and the rest was history... Eventually we did find a nice place here in Ridgewood but it wasn't without first getting rejected numerous times...

It really pains me to see how oblivious and how people can simply disregard the obvious prejudices that still take place so frequently to this day... Gentrification is the biggest example of that... The definition claims that it's all about class but parts of Bed-stuy and Harlem aside, is that really the case? What is the driving force behind gentrification? Better yet, if the homes that had been sold in Bed-stuy to middle class whites were instead sold to middle class Blacks and the demographics remained similar to the 90s era though a completely different class of people... would the housing prices and apartment rentals have skyrocketed the way they did? Come on now...

It gets really tiresome debating with people who know the truth and simply choose to ignore it or tell us because they're not the dealing with it, to get over with it... The sheer arrogance of some people is mind-boggling to me... I really am debating closing this account because for one, unless my opinion is for the masses I cannot speak on here (even if it is the truth)... and 2) when I do say something that everyone knows is valid, I get crucified, labeled a drama queen, an exaggerator, fear-mongerer... The whole routine is just getting really tired...
Anon, this is a cool debate it's just the internet, I'm not getting mad or anything, neither should you. I couldn't care less if people like/approve the things I say but getting back to the topic. . .

You didn't specify any areas and that was my point. All you said was when blacks and hispanics move into a neighborhood people flee which isn't true. If a little neighborhood was "off the map" and blacks + hispanics (or which ever race that brought a lot of crime, not saying it's ALWAYS blacks + hispanics) started to move in AND crime goes up don't you think the long time residents would want to leave then? I don't think people go "Omfg black people are moving in lets move before they all come!" No it's not like that. There are great diverse places in the city and some places that's still nostalgic (in a way). People don't care about color anymore but the quality people bring to the neighborhood. Trust me I know first hand.

I wouldn't say I'm blinded by the fact that there are *******s in America. I know that. My only gripe with people, specifically black people, is the "just making it" mind set a lot seem to have. It's always a story, it's always a struggle etc. Anon, I'm not blind, but just sick of hearing the same crap from people who don't want to better themselves. Meaning they want to stay in the projects, they like hanging in front of the store, they love NOT looking for a job to get out of the hood. That's where I say "displacement"? Oh well. You don't want to better your situation so when someone else wants your spot you throw down the race card. Annoying. (Not you the people that's getting displaced. . . I really don't like that term btw)

Another thing, if an owner or business or whoever declines your money/business look at it this way you're not supporting them and their corporation. Have I gotten every job I've applied to? No. Isn't that the process of searching? Yes. Don't feel like it's YOU all the time. There are *******s EVERYWHERE but when you put your head down and feel like it's you that's the problem, it'll give you the wrong outlook on things. You live in Ridgewood man. Clearly you didn't give up and you got a great neighborhood because you kept searching. Once again I know racist people are still out there but just because people are, that doesn't mean you have to "do the same. . ."

Sorry for the long post and I hope I made myself a little clearer. Not trying to bash my own race/ethnicities.

Last edited by StuddedLeather; 06-16-2011 at 11:51 PM..

Old 06-16-2011, 11:50 PM

@ studded leather I really respect and appreciate that post... I definitely agree with what you said 100%... I guess this issue hits home for me in a lot of ways since people I know on more than one occasion have been affected by it... And they weren't your traditional lazy welfare moochers... these people were hard-working immigrant folks that couldn't afford a better neighborhood and were priced out of their homes or had their apartments fixed and exterior cleaned so that the owner could hike up the rents and indirectly kick out the people that did nothing wrong but who couldn't afford an un-regulated rent increase...

I definitely hear your point though that the racist/prejudice routine is played out... It has become an excuse to hold themselves back when the reality is that nowadays those issues are at an all-time low... @ studded leather I misjudged you... Good post man...

Old 06-17-2011, 12:12 AM

Quote:
@ studded leather I really respect and appreciate that post... I definitely agree with what you said 100%... I guess this issue hits home for me in a lot of ways since people I know on more than one occasion have been affected by it... And they weren't your traditional lazy welfare moochers... these people were hard-working immigrant folks that couldn't afford a better neighborhood and were priced out of their homes or had their apartments fixed and exterior cleaned so that the owner could hike up the rents and indirectly kick out the people that did nothing wrong but who couldn't afford an un-regulated rent increase...

I definitely hear your point though that the racist/prejudice routine is played out... It has become an excuse to hold themselves back when the reality is that nowadays those issues are at an all-time low... @ studded leather I misjudged you... Good post man...
Thanks man and I'm sorry about the people who were priced out you knew. I genuinely am. I wasn't referring to people who worked and contributed, only the lazy ones who wanted things to be handed to them. Nevertheless I just wish one day, money would burn and we'd all have to start over or something. Just always looking/hoping for the best. I'm an optimist!

Old 06-17-2011, 08:07 AM

412 posts, read 1,327,292 times
Quote:
No neighborhood in the country has thugs on the streets 24/7/365... that being said, you would be taking a risk even at 5pm... It's one thing to pass through there on occasion but if you haven't lived there, you really wouldn't know... Probably about 60% of ENY and all of Brownsville combined are as bad as it gets for this city...

@ cocoave, if what you say is true... which to me is sad because Bed-stuy had always been Brooklyn's Harlem, then there's no stopping its transition to become Bedford Ave 2 though to a more sustained level... This may sound racist but honestly this is not my intention... if you weren't Black and you lived or walked on Malcolm X especially on the B38 route by the PJs you had a problem... Even 5 years ago, that was as bad as it got for Bed-stuy... I'd even put it ahead of Nostrand in terms of blocks you wouldn't walk on...

While I am happy that the neighborhood is getting better, it's sad to see how many black folks are getting displaced by the transplants... Not everyone there even on Malcolm X was a thug... Just like any working class hood it had its good and its bad and unfortunately both are getting priced out...

I'm sorry but I'm tired of hearing about people supposedly getting displaced by so called "transplants".

If these "transplants" will make the neighborhood better and property values rise wth is the problem.

Yes some folks will get displaced but hey that's how it is now in the city.

Don't get it wrong Bed-Stuy still has its "character" and "characters" but I'm GLAD it's changing for the better.

I'm happy to be able to walk down a street and see beautiful brownstones with gardens and of course TREES AND CLEAN STREETS.

I grew up in the Bronx back in the day and feared moving to BK becuase of it's reputation but in all actuality I love living out here.

To me there is absolutely nothing wrong with neighborhoods acquiring so called "transplants".

I rather have them move into the neighborhood than have the buildings condemned, broaded up and crackheads squatting in them causing a fire hazard.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:10 AM

412 posts, read 1,327,292 times
[quote=Ruready4Bklyn;19619469]
Quote:
@ grigou I think you need to see a therapist cause nothing from my post indicated that I hate anyone or am tired of them moving in here or whatever else you claim... and if you are that ignorant (or what I really believe, agenda oriented) to believe that black folks are not getting displaced just like it "never happened" in Williamsburg, Bushwick, Clinton Hill, Harlem... then I have no need to defend myself when speaking with you...

Don't forget Fort Greene, even until 2001 I remember it being predominantly a black neighborhood, walk there now and a black person will be the minority seriously. So yes this seems to be the trend of displacement not sure why people are acting like it doesn't exist.

Not sure what scare tactics?, Bedstuy is still pretty hood only because you have a couple of whites buying up brownstones and having BBQ's in their front lawn does not all of a sudden make it a good neighborhood.
You're right BED-STUY will always keep it's character regardless who moves there just as HARLEM still has its character.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City