Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 03:38 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times

Advertisements

Brooklyn I did not allege the term "white" had anything to do with Hitler, but I did say it is promoted so much as a race in this country so as to make him proud. I would agree that most people are aware of whether they are "white", but how is this determined? Who makes this decision? And why? None of this is answered because it is a moving target and completely subjective...so nevermind that it isn't actually a race, why is it relevant?

White should be dropped as a race, because you would simply have Caucasian with subcategories describing ethnicities. That will solve the problem and eliminate this nonsense "white race" and still hold true to the social construct you are clinging to. And the better question is...why keep/promote this social construct which clearly has been a major problem with this country in the first place?

Anon, forget what you heard...Caucasian is a race originating in the Caucasus (Armenia for example), and includes "whites", arabs, North Africans, Indians, and many Hispanics. I do not doubt that no Hispanic you have ever known has checked off caucasian on the census....because there is no Caucasian category! It is white, and the census specifically excludes Hispanics from checking "white" on the census (non-hispanic "whites" are the only ones allowed). If the census replaced "whites" with Caucasian, then many Hispanics, Arabs, Indians, North Africans and the "traditional whites" can check that box, and then a subcategory for their specific ethnicity. Why this is some sort of problem or goes against US ideals is beyond me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 03:39 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,860,986 times
[quote=UrbanQuest;19503939]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post

Say again!!! In India, southern Dravidian (basically black) and northern Aryans (middle eastern looking lighing skinned north) mixed together with some Indo-Sino tribes mixed in.
So you would think the aborigines of Australia are not caucasian either right? They are considered caucasian also. You are getting caught up with skin color and maybe the shape of the nose.

Old 06-08-2011, 03:43 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
[quote=DAS;19503830]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
NO Indians are not. Caucasian - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
Use a valid source, not wikipedia.

Caucasians are North Africans, SW Asias along with Europeans in ORIGIN. QUOTE]

India is in SW Asia.
Correction India is in South Asia, SW is Saudia Arabia, Yemen, Oman, Qatar, Bahrain, UAE et al.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:05 PM
DAS

[quote=Bronxguyanese;19504466]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post

Correction India is in South Asia, SW is Saudia Arabia, Yemen, Oman, Qatar, Bahrain, UAE et al.
True, and they are caucasian for the most part.

Also some one mentioned Blacks in the Middle East. There are Native Blacks in the Middle Eastern countries and they are discriminated against for the most part in those countries, and live separately in their own areas.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:41 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,155,830 times
[quote=DAS;19504391]
Quote:

So you would think the aborigines of Australia are not caucasian either right? They are considered caucasian also. You are getting caught up with skin color and maybe the shape of the nose.
You do live in your own little (I wish it where) world, don't you? Aborigines, Indians etc. are NOT caucasian. The census does not offer a choice of caucasian for Indians. It does for white hispanics though. I can definitely see the common features of the caucasian race with one extreme being blond-blue eyed scandinavians to black hair/brown-eyed Persians. Saudis, Yemenese, Egyptians, Moroccans etc. are a caucasian/black mix in reality but the census let's them choose white if they please. Many Arab American groups would like a seperate racial category for them since they don't really see themselves as white. I guess they aren't as confused and desperate as the Indians are. lol

Old 06-08-2011, 11:55 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,592,348 times
aborigines of Australia are pacific islanders. just my opinion

Old 06-08-2011, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintgum84 View Post
Least we know where its safe to go for a stroll now.
lol.

here's an interesting piece from nat geo:

The Human Family Tree Main Page- National Geographic Channel (http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/human-family-tree - broken link)

it was a dna project using real life participants from astoria queens. the participants were not of one ethnicity. that was the point. the producers tried their best to get folks of different ethnicities to participate. ...very interesting and i suggest everyone checks it out if they have time. i think it was cool and apropos that the project used queens.

Old 06-09-2011, 01:43 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
[quote=DAS;19504743]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post

True, and they are caucasian for the most part.

Also some one mentioned Blacks in the Middle East. There are Native Blacks in the Middle Eastern countries and they are discriminated against for the most part in those countries, and live separately in their own areas.
True indeed many east africans as far south as kenya all the way up in sinai in egypt are related to bedouoins and other arab tribes. Arabs are not caucasian race. Then again many middle eastern areas of the levant was occupied by greece, rome and crusader states led by venice and france so mixing may have occured. Ethiopians speak a language similar to arabic. As for arabs being white its because they are part of the holy scriptures supposdly.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
The Human Family Tree Main Page- National Geographic Channel (http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/human-family-tree - broken link)
i forgot to add: there is an optional video in this link

i thought it was tres interesting but some people might have beef with the theory it gives (that we're all "from africa")

Old 06-09-2011, 04:29 PM
DAS

Quote:
You do live in your own little (I wish it where) world, don't you?
No but I think you do. I think most Indians and Arab people would be deeply offended if anyone said they are a caucasion/negroid cross, as you refer to them. Most would never identify with being subsaharan African at all.

If you have DNA of any subsaharn African group and live anywhere in the world including north Africa you are considered at least part Black, or part of the Negroid race, if anyone can see that in you, or you mention it because you don't appear to be.

The people you are referring to from India, Australia, Middle East that do not have any subsaharan African DNA can be as dark as the sky at midnight, but they would still not be part of the Black (Negroid) race as defined.

People in North America, South America and the Caribbean that identify as Black or part Black, are descendents of Subsaharan Africans.

Using the word Caucasian is really different from using the word "White" as we know it. Also how "White" is defined in most countries that started out as colonies of the UK as opposed to those that started out as colonies of Spain is very different in its meaning.

"White" in the US means that you are purely descendended from European ancestry. With nothing mixed in. If a person has to check other, or give some combination of mixture, in this country they are not "White" and that is how it is. So by that definition you are correct about what is considered "White" in this country.

I do think people that want to check other, and give breakdowns is perfectly correct to do so, and should do so on census for their posterity, that may want to research family history,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City