Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 09:22 AM

105 posts, read 322,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Not denying that these people are moving in your neighborhood but alot of these people go to visit their friends or go to cafes in the area and then go back to their actual neighborhoods... I know cause I see it in Bushwick... I'm coming home from Brooklyn back to Ridgewood and I have to take it to Grand and you'll see a bunch of white folk on the L train at 12am coming home from the Dekalb Jefferson stops to go back to where they live on Morgan, Montrose, Lorimer and Bedford stops... same thing goes for Bed-stuy... There are a few that live in the brownstones but alot more are visitors of the area and not people that live there...

Also the A train has become very similar to the L train because alot of people use that train to go to JFK and Brooklyn Heights/park slope

Your relentlessness is kind of remarkable, Anon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 09:30 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,809,438 times
Notice I said most of BUshwick... Didn't deny the gentrification but as opposed to earlier on in the year things have gotten worse in terms of gang presense and violent crime in the area and I cannot in good concious recommend that area especially past Dekalb to no one. Do i see a few of them even along the wilson and halsey stops? Of course. But I said significant presence and 5-10 people in one section of Bushwick does not constitute significant in my book...

Also is the part about them going to the cafes and then returning home to east williamsburg or williamsburg wrong... take the L train a couple of times at night time riding it from Broadway junction down and you'll see what I'm talking about... Same goes for Bed-stuy along the A train... Now that these areas have become synonymous with gentrification alot of people come to visit these areas to see what the hype is about. If they feel comfortable some look for cheaper apartments, if not they go on their merry way and return to their safer but slightly more expensive neighborhoods...

It's not really a tirade just speaking from the observations...

Old 06-30-2011, 09:41 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,500,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I love the concept of "Up and Coming!"
It seems a realtors favorite way to describe a slum!
Very true!

Old 06-30-2011, 11:38 AM

188 posts, read 920,427 times
I feel like there is some sort of magentic force keeping hipsters on the Bushwick side of Broadway from what I see on the J. I do notice a small but growing population of Asian and Mexican immigrants towards Ocean Hill, along with Africans and West Indies Blacks so the area is up and coming in that sense. After Goodbye Blue Monday by Kosciuszko, there isn't much catering to transplants in the area.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:20 PM

125 posts, read 229,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I have not seen hipsters get off at Rockaway or Ralph yet. I take the A every day. Not doubting you, I'm just saying I haven't seen it personally. Utica however is a definite. I'll never forget the first time I saw them get off at Utica. And I chill around Utica Avenue on the A train sometimes, and its a little rough over there. Hell, I was around there today.
I wouldn't say it happens every day. It is still very rare. But I have seen a few get off at these stops. I almost died of shock the first time I saw this. I'm thinking the gentrification will eventually stop at the Brooklyn/Queens border because beyond that, Manhattan is too far and the "A" train splits so it's too much of a hassle.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:14 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searching4ARainbow View Post
I wouldn't say it happens every day. It is still very rare. But I have seen a few get off at these stops. I almost died of shock the first time I saw this. I'm thinking the gentrification will eventually stop at the Brooklyn/Queens border because beyond that, Manhattan is too far and the "A" train splits so it's too much of a hassle.
No its not rare...actually 3-4 times out of the week I'm seeing white people get off at Utica and Nostrand. It was rare 7-8 years ago; now it's a common occurence. And I don't think anything east of Crown Heights will ever be gentrified....it's pretty much anything that's a half hour and within to Manhattan that has the most chance of becoming gentrified, because that's pretty much the maximum amount of time the transplants are willing to commute. What neighborhood do you live in? Just curious.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-01-2011, 08:25 PM

125 posts, read 229,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
No its not rare...actually 3-4 times out of the week I'm seeing white people get off at Utica and Nostrand. It was rare 7-8 years ago; now it's a common occurence. And I don't think anything east of Crown Heights will ever be gentrified....it's pretty much anything that's a half hour and within to Manhattan that has the most chance of becoming gentrified, because that's pretty much the maximum amount of time the transplants are willing to commute. What neighborhood do you live in? Just curious.

Ozone Park. I don't see this area getting gentrified anytime soon. But we are getting lots of newcomers from Brooklyn that were either priced out of gentrified neighborhoods or left the really bad areas to get their kids in better schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City