Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 06:55 AM

9 posts, read 14,193 times

Advertisements

okay...that is great...i tried it. I didn't even know that existed..very helpful. When you transfer from one subway to the next do you have to buy another single rider ($2.50) ticket or once you are down there can you just keep riding the subway? I remember when I was in NY years ago they had a pass that was $7 for the whole day but I didn't see that when I was in NY a couple of weeks ago. Do they have anything like that anymore?

Last edited by lucyp123; 07-07-2011 at 07:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 08:57 AM

88 posts, read 311,118 times
You don't need to pay an additional fare unless you leave the subway system. Transfers are free.

This page should answer your questions re. the Metrocard... looks like the $7 for the whole day is no longer available, but they offer other deals that might work for you depending on how long you will be in the city.

http://www.mta.info/metrocard/mcgtreng.html (broken link)

Also here is a page for the Airtrain.

MTA - Airtrain JFK: Make the Connection

When you arrive at JFK I suggest you ask an Airtrain employee for some help re. the name of the station to exit (The name of the subway station is Sutphin but the Airtrain station might be called Jamaica) and how to buy a Metrocard that you can use for both the Airtrain and the subway.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:45 AM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedoo View Post
I used the MTA trip planner that Chava says he used. I'll give you the directions it gave me to the school:

Approx Travel Time : 38 minutes Map MAP From SUTPHIN BLVD-ARCHER AV/JFK E/J/Z/LIRR
Take the WORLD TRADE CENTER bound Train departing at 7:40 PM7:40 PM
Arrive at FOREST HILLS - 71ST AV STA E/F/M/R/LIRR at 7:49 PM
Pay Per Ride Fare : $2.25 - Reduced Fare : $1.10

Transfer to the 95TH ST-BAY RIDGE bound Train departing at 7:51 PM7:51 PM
Get off at 36TH ST STATION M/R at 8:08 PM

Walk 0.43 miles(9 minutes) North to destination.

I suspect Chava did not correctly locate the school in using the site.

So take the Airtran to SUTPHIN BLVD-ARCHER AV, and then use the directions above. Or you can use Chava's directions and walk a lot further to the school. Your choice.

To get to the hotel:

Approx Travel Time : 31 minutes Map MAP Walk 0.43 miles(9 minutes) South to 36TH ST STATION M/R
Take the METROPOLITAN AV-MIDDLE VILLAGE bound Train departing at 7:43 PM7:43 PM
Get off at 42ND ST - BRYANT PARK STATION B/D/F/M at 7:55 PM

Walk 0.46 miles(10 minutes) South-East to destination.
The trip planner is a nice tool, except that it does not include the Airtran link to JFK. Try it yourself:

MTA NYC Transit - Interactive Map
I submitted the information correctly. But perhaps the time of day that I used was when there was a schedule change of some kind (i.e. weekend track work, etc.). So the person needs to make decision and input the exact time and date of the travel to get the most accurate travel information.

The initial ticket for one ride $2.50 (meaning a single ticket). Additional rides on the ticket are $2.25 per ride. All transfers inside the subway system are free. But if one exits the subway system and goes back in they will have to pay an additional fare. Also you get up to 2 hours to transfer for free between the subway system to a bus (or also the other way around).

Old 07-07-2011, 09:52 AM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedoo View Post
This page should answer your questions re. the Metrocard... looks like the $7 for the whole day is no longer available, but they offer other deals that might work for you depending on how long you will be in the city.

http://www.mta.info/metrocard/mcgtreng.html (broken link)

Also here is a page for the Airtrain.

MTA - Airtrain JFK: Make the Connection

When you arrive at JFK I suggest you ask an Airtrain employee for some help re. the name of the station to exit (The name of the subway station is Sutphin but the Airtrain station might be called Jamaica) and how to buy a Metrocard that you can use for both the Airtrain and the subway.
The one day Fun Pass was eliminated last time the subway fares were raised.
At JFK there are 3 Airtrain routes: the Jamaica route, the Howard Beach route and the Airtrain that only goes between all the terminals. You need to take the Jamaica Airtrain to Jamaica, Queens. When you arrive there you will follow the signs leading to the subway station there which is called the Sutphin Blvd. Subway Station (which is in the same location but underground). I hope this clarifies things for you.
You can buy a Metrocard before you exit the Jamaica Airtrain station (in Jamaica) from a Metrocard machine to cover your Airtrain fare as well as your subway fare. There are Airtrain employees there that can help if needed.

Old 07-12-2011, 05:02 PM

Re. Trip Planner... I sent an email asking why they did not include Airtrain and they responded saying it is included in the "Trip Planner +" so I tried it.

Result:

From : John F. Kennedy International Airport, NY To : 35th St & 35th Ave, Astoria, NY 11106 Leaving at : 7/12/2011 09:45 AM Itinerary 1 [-]Collapse
Approx Travel Time : 1 hour 2 minutes Map MAP Walk 0.13 miles(3 minutes) South-East to JFK AIRTRAIN TERMINAL 1
Take theJFK AIRPORT TO JAMAICA STATION bound AIR Train departing at 9:49 AM9:49 AM
Get off at JFK AIRTRAIN TERMINAL D - JAMAICA at 10:07 AM
Pay Per Ride Fare : $5.00 - Reduced Fare : $5.00

From SUTPHIN BLVD-ARCHER AV/JFK E/J/Z/LIRR
Take the WORLD TRADE CENTER bound Train departing at 10:17 AM10:17 AM
Arrive at JACKSON HTS - ROOSEVELT AV STA E/F/M/R at 10:32 AM

Transfer to the METROPOLITAN AV-MIDDLE VILLAGE bound Train departing at 10:32 AM10:32 AM
Get off at 36TH ST STATION M/R at 10:40 AM

Walk 0.39 miles(8 minutes) North-East to destination.

Total Fare : $7.25 - Reduced Fare : $6.10

Link for Trip Planner + is here:

MTA NYCT - Trip Planner+

Old 07-13-2011, 06:59 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
Here's a little tip that Port Authority (which owns and operates the Air Train) doesn't particularly want you to know about:

From JFK, you can get the Q10 bus, which will take you to Lefferts Boulevard on the A train or Kew Gardens on the E/F. It's a free transfer from bus to subway with MetroCard. You can eliminate Air Train and its additional fares any time you want to!

Old 07-13-2011, 08:39 AM

Thanks Fred for that tip. It may make my public transit route to/from JFK from South Brooklyn much more doable.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:40 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
...You're very welcome. And if you don't mind the trip to that part of the borough, the B15 bus from the New Lots Avenue terminal on the #3 train also goes directly to Kennedy Airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City