Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 09:56 PM

542 posts, read 1,478,653 times

Advertisements

New York was/is built on "transplants"..it is what NYC *IS*....so anyone who claims to be a real New Yorker and complains about them is a hypocrite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 10:05 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,390,804 times
There are numerous threads that discuss every permutation of transplant possible. Let's please return to the original topic. Thank you.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 07-12-2011, 09:33 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,373,343 times
DAS I suspect there is no shortage of fire hydrant water to drink based on what I see in the Bronx. People (mostly kids) have and always will (for the foreseeable future) drink from it...I have and still do when I need to. The prevalence of bottles of water for sale everywhere however is greatly reducing the need.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:35 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,858,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
DAS I suspect there is no shortage of fire hydrant water to drink based on what I see in the Bronx. People (mostly kids) have and always will (for the foreseeable future) drink from it...I have and still do when I need to. The prevalence of bottles of water for sale everywhere however is greatly reducing the need.
That is good to know. In Harlem and Washington Heights you hardly see a hydrant open any more. Now that it is summer you may see some with the sprinkler cap for the children to play in.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:55 AM

Yeah alot of them have the sprinkler cap. There are a few around that I see..but it's not as popular as it once was. I think it is perceived negatively these days, with only certain types playing in a hydrant, whereas back in the days everyone did it.

Old 07-12-2011, 12:19 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,858,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Yeah alot of them have the sprinkler cap. There are a few around that I see..but it's not as popular as it once was. I think it is perceived negatively these days, with only certain types playing in a hydrant, whereas back in the days everyone did it.
Oh really. Where I live in Morningside Heights it is a very diverse block, and one hot Saturday since the weather got warmer, they turned it on with the sprinkler cap, and all the children had so much fun. It was so nice to watch. It brought back many memories, when I saw the children riding their bikes, and running through the water. We have children of all races, and combination of races. If it's hot outside this Sat. I'm going to grab some adults and run through it myself. So I guess I'll be one of those types.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:19 PM

There are plenty of those types around so you will be in good company and have fun.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:43 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,282,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30STM View Post
Queens Newspaper New York - Queens NY News Paper- The Queens Courier > Archives > News > Top Stories > Water-on-the-Go stations sprouting up

after all those hound dogs blessed those hydrants now you can drink from them... Would you drink it. I wonder if Bloomie does.
It's crisp, clean and refreshing during these hot summer days

Old 07-13-2011, 09:00 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,063,795 times
Back in Jersey City a couple decades back the aqueduct from the Boonton Resevoir broke and water was diverted from the Passaic River...that tasted like schitte!
So for several weeks I drove into Manhattan and filled 20-25 gallon bottles from a permanently leaking hydrant near Canal Street.

It was delicious.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:15 AM

1,228 posts, read 1,928,036 times
I feel NYC has the best tasting tap water. I would drink it. Its a great idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: