Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 01:32 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,813,666 times

Advertisements

[quote=sekhmet1974;20068132]There is a kid that has been frequenting the N/Q train. I have only seen him on this train, but I have seen him 3 times in the last month. His story is that he is 18 years old, sleeps on the 6 train every night, is constantly applying for jobs when he can get internet access. The first time I heard him, he said he had a son that was depending on him. Yesterday it suddenly became his 2 year old daughter named Julliette...hmmm. the truth is this kid has nice clothes and expensive tennis shoes on, and I know for a FACT that if he walked into 10 restaurants in NYC looking for work, he could get hired in at least half either as a busser or in the kitchen. I know because I have seen others get jobs like this dressed in shorts and a tshirt. I know law and investment firms and jobs in the high end corporate world may be shifting and teaching jobs are hard/impossible to come back, but if you want to work, you CAN work. There are SO many jobs (and I am not just talking restaurant) that are under the table here, too. People all over the place CREATING their own work because they use their minds to see the possibilities and opportunuties and they seize it. This is what NYC is all about, and is true today as when it was "founded." I'm not saying it's a walk in the park, but if you want opportunity, it is infinite here. When I see an old, disabled senior or someone that has truly and obviously lost all hope, that is one thing...I will help them in some way whether it is food, water, kind words, clothes, and/or maybe sometimes money. But when it is a perfectly able bodied and minded person who is using shame and guilt to play on the emotions of others in order to get money? I wish you the best in life but I will look you straight in the eyes and not feel bad in the slightest when I do not contribute to your "income."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 02:01 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,707,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sekhmet1974 View Post
I am sorry but it is NOT hard to get work here. There are tons of temp agencies. Event work. There are endless opportunities in NYC and if you really want to work, you will be working. I am a prime example of this....since I have been here, I have worked at a holiday market, in restaurants, temp office work, and catering work. Every time I have sought out work, I have gotten it immediately and gotten multiple offers and had to actually turn work down. NYC is the mecca of opportunity and possibilities if you are open to it. There are programs to house and feed the homeless and there is a pretty liberal unemployment program in effect. If you really want to help people, teach them how to use the limitless potential of their MINDS to see the reality of infinite possibility.

Sekhmet, do you know how many temp agencies have folded in recent years? You are either very luck, very skilled, or have great connections. It's not that easy.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:47 PM

5,524 posts, read 8,787,364 times
I love giving to good musicians and singers in the street or in the subway. They give me pleasure and I'm willing to pay them for that.

I will give to panhandlers who actually have a sense of humor. Can't describe exactly what that humor is--it's different in every case--but if they can make me smile, they're worth a buck.

I will give (unopened) food or drink to peole who ask for it, if I happen to have something like that with me.

I will give money on the street or the subway to anyone asking for it who is obviously physically disabled.

I will NOT give money to anybody with a sob story sign ( help i lost my lost my passport, i need $15 to get back home to Pennsylania, help I'm out of work, need change dause im having a baby), or to anyone who says that they have kids--but the kids are nowhere in sight. Maybe my New York hard shell, but I think 99% of these are scams.

I will not give money to anyone at a bank or fast food joint with a cup holding the door open for me. I can open the door myself.

People I know in social services tell me that the vast majority of panhandlers now either have mental problems or drug/alcohol problems. I figure giving them money not only doesn't help them get better but will help make their problems worse. Anybody who looks like an old alkie or a new crackhead I pass by.

I've worked in a homeless shelter and what I do know is that many homeless people dress and look no differently than the housed. You'd never know they have no place to live unless they told you.

Old 07-20-2011, 05:23 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,570,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_O'Leary View Post
People who give out their hard earned cash to these bums are SUCKERS. REAL SUCKERS, you think I would give my money to one of these sleezy people who stand on the corner or frequent the trains to beg? Get a damn job, I'm sure the government and city help you out well enough with "aide", whats the extra dough for? Tryin' to get a little a crack for the night?
I couldn't agree more. I don't feel sorry for the vast majority of these people, especially when I see they are of sound mind and able-bodied. If they were serious they could go to any one of a number of shelters and work with support staff to obtain a job. Maybe just a minimum wage job... but you know what? That's enough to rent a room and be off of the streets begging, enough to eat. The fact is most of these individuals already have that if not more- and it's just gravy money to buy their next fix or whatever suits their fancy. I wouldn't be surprised if some of them use it to finance the purchase of their next Louis Vuitton bag, and I'm not talking about the ones down on Canal Street. I didn't live in NYC long enough to know as much about it as I'd like... but I do know that if you want a minimum wage job you can get one the same day. There were always people at Penn Station recruiting security guards. As long as you were clean and had no felonies you were in. And at a lot of these fast food places they don't even check for felonies. So the whole 'times are tough' bit is kind of an excuse. You might not be making $50 an hour, but if you want a roof over your head and food on your table there is no excuse other than your own laziness and ignorance. The truth is these people make far more than minimum wage doing what they are, and as long as people are dumb enough (which they will be) to keep funding their lifestyles they will be out there selling their fake sorry stories *puke*.

Last edited by EastBoundandDownChick; 07-20-2011 at 05:46 PM..

Old 07-20-2011, 05:39 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,154,102 times
Default Who is who?

The recession has turned many lives upside down. Many families split up due to the stress alone. And many have found themselves alone and in major trouble with regards to these difficulties. I think being homeless has to be the most difficult and despairing situations. All the things we take for granted every day. A warm bed, shower and safety and privacy. What makes it difficult is many we see DO have addictions/disorders. But how do we know? Some homeless are not on the street. They are called the invisible homeless. Couch surfing different places (Hopefully) trying to get back on their feet. they look like you or I. One OP said it best. It can happen to anyone. These things always happen to someone else as they say.

Some may scoff, but i believe people have a right to have a roof over thier heads. Those with addiction deserve a chance to fix things and get back to life.Some choose not to, and just check out of life. For this nothing can be done. Anyone can fall, and some are weaker then others. Only the most hardened can see human suffering and feel not a twinge of empathy.

There was a young man in my old neighborhood who taught me this growing up. He said,"Never say never, say reverend. You may find yourself having to say a prayer one day, either for yourself or another." never forgot it. Some of it proved true for me in regards to situations different then the above. this is not a religious saying, its a realistic view of life's unpredictability.

As far as giving money..I usually offer to buy food or something inexpensive for the individual. Many times they refused and asked for $$ instead. regardless, my heart goes out to ALL folks like this..May they fid the strength to rise again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City