Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 05:38 PM

1 posts, read 14,097 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm a female, in her early 20's about to move to NYC on a budget to start career. I have an opportunity to sublet in the Riverton? apartments around 135th and Madison for cheap because its a friend of a friend of a friend. I will be living alone and I am wondering if its safe and practical. I will be working in the early 100's on fifth ave - basic 9-5 gig but will also be taking in some night life. I will, of course, be checking this area out for myself before I say yes to anything but want to know others take on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 05:49 PM

4 posts, read 27,446 times
Riverton Houses are now managed by Stellar Management. Subleasing is not legal and I hope the person who told you this have it in writing...

Don't worry I won't say anything.. However, Riverton Houses (Stellar Management) is very safe and it's pretty close (across the street on 5th & 135) to Harlem Hospital (swamp with Police, EMS worker 24 hours)...

Riverton Houses (Stellar Management) now have gates and you need scan keys to get in the building. It's a bit noisey and the rent is high. The only problem is, across the street there is Abraham Lincoln Houses (PJ=projects or lower income houses whatever!). They have a lot of children ages ( 15 to 26) who like to start trouble day in and day out...

My suggestion to you is, if you look intimidated, then you will be picked on or robbed you.. Whatever! (Just like in Elementary school)...

Now, on 135 and Lenox Avenue or Malcolm Ave, there are Lenox Terrace Luxury apts?? I think they are considered Luxury!! Anyone could correct if I am wrong!

So, to make a short story shorter, Riverton is ok... They have security and gates but walking from the train station to the building, you might have to run every other day... ahahahahah!!! Just joking...

There are middle class afro america, whites, hispanic, latino, Arab, Indians, etc.. living and residing in Riverton.. The rent is so high, you might not want to move in... BUT IT IS REALLY SAFE!!

Old 06-26-2008, 05:34 PM

473 posts, read 1,670,277 times
I am in the complex A LOT and it’s quite secure and safe. You will just have to be careful commuting to and from the train stations at night – just like you should in any part of the city.

I’ve seen foot-patrol officers in the vicinity during the day so besides the occasional crowding by the basketball courts on 35th & 5th, you should be O.K. You will get hit on/cat calls every so often but the good news is, this is not unique to Harlem. If you’re not so “blessed” in the “looks” department, then you don’t really have much to worry about.

Walking to the complex from the Lenox & 35th station at night (after midnight) is not encouraged. If you stay out late, it is recommended taking a cab home. During the day, it's a lot easier, more quite and much shorter, to get off at the 138th stop in the Bronx, walking across the bridge into Harlem, than it is walking from the 35th/Lenox stop. Besides it’s a better view walking across the bridge anyway……

The complex has LOADS of professionals and it’s diverse. I always see many ladies coming back from work so you won’t be alone. Oh don’t forget that Harlem River Park is also within yelling distance …… It’s a recommended place to live that’s for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie35 View Post
....Now, on 135 and Lenox Avenue or Malcolm Ave, there are Lenox Terrace Luxury apts?? I think they are considered Luxury!! Anyone could correct if I am wrong!....
lol @ luxury

Old 06-26-2008, 07:20 PM

415 posts, read 1,394,845 times
Be sure not to take the subway home after a night out on the town. I'd suggest a cab after dark in that part of town. Day time you should probably be ok as long as you walk with a purpose and not chit chat with the crackheads when they are hustling you for money to get high. Lovely part of town..

Old 06-27-2008, 02:51 PM

473 posts, read 1,670,277 times
gtrain - have you been there recently? more than once?

Old 06-27-2008, 06:41 PM

901 posts, read 2,986,784 times
i go there a lot. the area's fine. You should always take a cab if you are going to travel late at night by yourself. That goes for any area in NYC

Old 07-02-2008, 11:56 AM

172 posts, read 589,936 times
once you step out the tall gates of the riverton, your right in the hood, dont talk to strangers.....

Old 08-15-2008, 02:03 PM

90 posts, read 423,089 times
FYI regarding Riverton. According to a story in the Wall Street Journal today, Stellar and Rockpoint (the co-developer) have told their mortgage servicer that they're probably going to default on their mortgage by next month. Apparently they haven't been able to convert it to market-rate apartments fast enough to keep up payments.

For people renting there, that probably means they're going to have to sell the building and you'll have a new management company. In foreclosures of things like homes, banks sometimes kick people out once they take over, but in the case of a huge development, I seriously doubt the new owner would or could kick out paying tenants. The building might also be under some sort of agreement with the city to be rentals for a while depending on what tax incentives it got when it was originally developed or renovated.

However, something to think about when you look at the place.

Old 08-15-2008, 04:00 PM

575 posts, read 1,515,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie35 View Post
Riverton Houses are now managed by Stellar Management. Subleasing is not legal and I hope the person who told you this have it in writing...

Don't worry I won't say anything.. However, Riverton Houses (Stellar Management) is very safe and it's pretty close (across the street on 5th & 135) to Harlem Hospital (swamp with Police, EMS worker 24 hours)...

Riverton Houses (Stellar Management) now have gates and you need scan keys to get in the building. It's a bit noisey and the rent is high. The only problem is, across the street there is Abraham Lincoln Houses (PJ=projects or lower income houses whatever!). They have a lot of children ages ( 15 to 26) who like to start trouble day in and day out...

My suggestion to you is, if you look intimidated, then you will be picked on or robbed you.. Whatever! (Just like in Elementary school)...

Now, on 135 and Lenox Avenue or Malcolm Ave, there are Lenox Terrace Luxury apts?? I think they are considered Luxury!! Anyone could correct if I am wrong!

So, to make a short story shorter, Riverton is ok... They have security and gates but walking from the train station to the building, you might have to run every other day... ahahahahah!!! Just joking...

There are middle class afro america, whites, hispanic, latino, Arab, Indians, etc.. living and residing in Riverton.. The rent is so high, you might not want to move in... BUT IT IS REALLY SAFE!!
"The only problem is, across the street there is Abraham Lincoln Houses (PJ=projects or lower income houses whatever!). They have a lot of children ages ( 15 to 26) who like to start trouble day in and day out..."
THEY DON'T CALL IT STINKING LINCOLN FOR NOTHING, THINK STRAY BULLETS!

Old 11-05-2008, 04:16 PM

1 posts, read 13,243 times
Anyone familiar with the Beacon Tower at 29 West 138 Street? How safe is the area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City