Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 09:36 PM

9 posts, read 13,582 times

Advertisements

I am a single mom of three,two 11 yr olds and a 2 yr old.Their father left us in the Dominican Rep.,where we lived in for 14 years. We were suppose to move to Canada with him,but he went ahead of us and met someone before we could get there,then he abandoned us,anyway I don't want to stay in the DR any more and would like to move back to the states.Mom lives in NYC,would love to live here,but she tells me it's too expensive,I have had a laid back life the last many years and lack formal education,so don't have a skilled profession to get a good paying job,I am currently staying with mom in NYC but trying to find some where to live,my kids are still in that country waiting, and school will start soon.Mom says move to Florida,but the country where I was living in is very hot and I am so tired of the extreme heat.I would like to see some changes of weather,also I am not sure about going to Florida without a job with the three kids.I heard the unemployment is high.I really need some help!Please if any one could give some advice as to some good places a single mom raising three kids could go too,please help me out with some advice or options.Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 11:39 PM

542 posts, read 1,479,560 times
Seattle, WA

Old 07-21-2011, 05:27 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,086,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momofthemonkeys View Post
.......also I am not sure about going to Florida without a job with the three kids.I heard the unemployment is high.
You are not sure about going to Florida without a job but you think NYC without a job is a viable option ?
With a family and no education ?

Old 07-21-2011, 06:48 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,583,220 times
If you're staying with your Mom right now and she can help watch the kids, then I suggest you educate yourself in some way to pick up some viable skills where you can get a job. It sounds like you are in a very challenging situation. Are you originally from the US? (US Citizen?)

Old 07-21-2011, 07:26 AM

actually,I am an Australian citizen,but I have not lived there since I was 2.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:29 AM

I cannot stay with my mom,she has a studio and cannot handle having all three kids here and myself.That's why the two 11 yr. olds are still in DR.I could not bring all three,but I am desperate to bring them,I miss them terribly!!!

Old 07-21-2011, 07:54 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,583,220 times
Would you consider going back to Australia? You know that you will need a visa to work legally in the US, right?

Old 07-21-2011, 08:13 AM

12 posts, read 32,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
Would you consider going back to Australia? You know that you will need a visa to work legally in the US, right?
My thoughts exactly on the work visa. But at this point in your life, you need to find a way to support yourself first and there's no one around, except your mother to depend on (that is if she wants to help) while you figure things out.

I feel for you about missing your kids, but you need to get on your feel first before you can bring them anywhere.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:16 AM

I have a prmanent res. card.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:47 AM

I just need a small break that can get me started.Like a place to stay temporarily so I can look for work.I plan to go to school,probably online,since I have the two yr old and baby sitters can be expensive,anyway thank you for you advice.I would love to stay north east coast since I have been in the heat for so many years,I like Pennsylvania,but again,unsure about jobs,I think NJ is expensive,not sure but looks that way,NY is out of question at this point,all though I love what NY has to offer for the kids as far as variety,just too expensive.Well the kids cannot stay much longer where they are ,it is kind of a dangerous place and school is starting very soon,mom is not up to having us all here,so I think I need to just rent a car,drive around and see what I can find!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City