Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 03:18 PM

791 posts, read 1,434,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
You may also want to consider the Yankee Stadium area which has lots of amenities, walkable, parkspace, waterfront access, and very easy/short commute to NYC via express train or Metronorth. Great buildings, good prices, and an improving area.
I live there. I concur.

Not much in the way of social life arouind there, though, if I read what you're looking for properly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 10:05 PM

41 posts, read 115,768 times
Thanks you all. I appreciate the response

Old 08-19-2011, 12:17 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,050,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Thanks 7th...SuperWario is just being SuperWario. The closest thing you will find to what she is looking for is the Yankee Stadium area because we generally don't have that in the Bronx. The only area that has been attracting a significant number of Urbanites from Manhattan is the Yankee Stadium area, and many of those buildings have gone co-op across from the park, filled with transplants.

It is a changing community, not every block is, but that area has changed, and it has the walkability, amenities, affordability, housing stock, and transportation/proximity to Manhattan which are driving the changes and make it the closest thing to what she is looking for. Otherwise, the Bronx relaly doesn't have it.
It has not changed Cluelessguy. You are talking about a very small area in that neighborhood. The neighborhood is University Heights 2.0. Same exact BS. Dominicans and blacks, low income, and projects. Some blocks off the Concourse are trash. My co-worker from 168th and Sheridan tells me that on his block there are gunshots every night. Venture into any of the W 160's in the vicinity of University ave projects ( Highbridge Gardens) and you're in real danger. This isn't a scare tactic or anything but I'm not going to allow you to give false information. You're making it seem like the changes in the area are similar to what Harlem/LES went through (which for Harlem isn't much). It is not that at all. Mullaly Park on 167th is full of Latin Kings, Marcy place by Jerome ave is a drug bazaar. Stop talking nonsense.

Remember you're talking about a neighborhood which was in the upper few in homicides last year with 14, and currently among the top this year at 11. A neighborhood which year after year has held the distinction of amassing the highest homicide totals in the borough, going back 20 years ago.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:50 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCGirl_2011 View Post
Thanks you all. I appreciate the response
The other day I took a walk from Franz Sigel Park which is around the Bronx county court house, I noticed Yuppie and Hipster like people walking thier dogs in the park. Its either a sign of improvement or they are clearly taking the advantage of slightly cheaper rent and mortgages with close proximity to Manhattan.

Old 08-19-2011, 01:12 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
It has not changed Cluelessguy. You are talking about a very small area in that neighborhood. The neighborhood is University Heights 2.0. Same exact BS. Dominicans and blacks, low income, and projects. Some blocks off the Concourse are trash. My co-worker from 168th and Sheridan tells me that on his block there are gunshots every night. Venture into any of the W 160's in the vicinity of University ave projects ( Highbridge Gardens) and you're in real danger. This isn't a scare tactic or anything but I'm not going to allow you to give false information. You're making it seem like the changes in the area are similar to what Harlem/LES went through (which for Harlem isn't much). It is not that at all. Mullaly Park on 167th is full of Latin Kings, Marcy place by Jerome ave is a drug bazaar. Stop talking nonsense.

Remember you're talking about a neighborhood which was in the upper few in homicides last year with 14, and currently among the top this year at 11. A neighborhood which year after year has held the distinction of amassing the highest homicide totals in the borough, going back 20 years ago.
The thing is this that Dominicans are synanomous for drugs and Blacks are Synanomous for guns like thier contempary Redneck counterparts downsouth. Sheridan and Sherman avenues have been problems for years from what I remember and still see.

Old 08-19-2011, 05:00 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
SuperWario, you are absolutely right in that if you are looking for trouble, you will find it easy in that area, or in most other areas of NYC for that matter. The fact is, it is not anywhere near University Heights 2.0..are you kidding? The area is lightyears ahead of University Heights, which is basically one of the last hold-outs of NYC circa 1990 you will find...the rows of crumbling dense tenements, with all the noise, kids/teens, and immigrants packed liked sardines.

The Yankee stadium area, yes a small area, is still one of the only areas of all of the Bronx which attracts the Manhattan transplant, hipsters, and other NYers because of the plethora of transportation options, amenities, walkability quick commute to Manhattan, new parkland, housing stock, and the economic heart of the Bronx...none of which University Heights has or will have.

I recommend taking a stroll through the Yankee Stadium area and seeing for yourself. Lots of the sidestreets are still in "transition" (to put it nicely) but you will note change is happening, you will note lots of faces you did not expect, great buildings, and an easy commute to Manhattan. And for the record, people moving to the Yankee Stadium are not moving to Sherman or Sheridan (yet).

Old 09-11-2011, 03:48 AM

579 posts, read 945,817 times
I can't help but see all of the racism that is uncutting most of these responses. You all seem to think that only white people can be "hipsters" or 'urban professionals". The area around Yankee stadium and the area in general up the whole spine of the Grand Concouse has improved and it is evidenced by th reduced crime, the improvement of the building stock, and the asking proces for rents and coops. You really should try to move past your misconception that a group of brown people must be low class. Really, are we in 2011 or 1941?

Old 09-11-2011, 07:13 PM

393 posts, read 891,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeRrYcRaCk View Post
The exact neighborhood that you are describing does not exist in the bronx.
Yeah, you are describing the gentrified parts of Brooklyn and Queens.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:07 AM

579 posts, read 945,817 times

Chuck Talks about Why He Decided to Move to The Bronx & 800 Grand Concourse - YouTube

Robert & Kate Talk about Why They Love 800 Grand Concourse & The Bronx - YouTube

Here's a couple of videos that describes what's been going on. Comments?

Old 02-05-2012, 01:13 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietrang View Post
I've been in that building before.....back in the mid '90s. It was nice even back then.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City