Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 05:31 PM

52 posts, read 133,156 times

Advertisements

You guys misunderstood. I live in Kentucky now. I've lived here a year. However, I lived in Chicago for 5 years. I'm familiar with people being self-absorbed, rude and inconsiderate (not saying ALL people in NYC are like this by any means). I wasnt offended by what that person said. I was upset because they offered no advice or anything that could be considered helpful to me. Its like people saw "Kentucky" but not "Chicago".

Im just here trying to get information. Yes, the job part will be difficult. I understand the struggle that may occur but that doesnt mean I dont want to try and give it 100%. If it works out, it works. If not, then .. not.

I also never said I wanted to move to Manhattan. That is beyond my means. I also said I wasnt looking for the "Sex and the City" lifestyle. I also know that that is beyond my means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 08:25 PM

477 posts, read 1,406,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal. View Post
What?? 100K barely living in Manhattan?? If you make 100K and you live in Manhattan and you are struggling than you need personal finance classes. Unless, you like to live a sex and the city lifestyle than 100K is not enough. If you are going to live within your means than 100K is more than enough and more. There is a lot of affordable apts in Manhattan that are NOT luxury, don't have a doorman, elevator, etc.

As for the OP - Bring you A game. Resume, interviewing skills, references etc. Plan a parachute as well. 8.2 million nyc residents, + nys, nj, and ct residents + domestic and international job-seekers moving here with your same goals = HEAVY DUTY COMPETITION.
100k doesn't go that far in manhattan. I see estimates from this thread that 100k will net 75k. It won't. I made between 90-100 last year plus I don't live in NYC so I'm not paying city tax. I have some work related deductions but not too many, I claim single 0 and I brought home ~50k. If someone makes the 100k mark they will bring home even less since they are in a higher tax bracket. The OP has no legit major deductions like property taxes, spouse or dependants, so if she claims anything other than 0 trust me, she will owe NYS come tax time. I know people do live on less than that, but like others said, it's slumming it. Isn't the point of living in NYC to enjoy the restaurants, bars, shopping, ect? Why move here if you are going to have to work 40+ hrs a week just to make enough $ to eat, pay rent and buy a metro card?

A roommate situation may allow one to live on less money but then again, you never know what your gonna get. My friends have stories about roommates from hell.

To the OP.. If you really want to come here, you have to first make sure you have a job as no landlord will approve a lease unless u make 40x rent. Get a roommate and check out neighborhoods like bushwick and crown heights. I know there are also cheaper shares in places farther from the train like Boro Park or Dyker heights (which are safe area) and save as much money as you can to eventually upgrade to a better place.

Old 03-24-2012, 12:27 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachela0525 View Post
You guys misunderstood. I live in Kentucky now. I've lived here a year. However, I lived in Chicago for 5 years. I'm familiar with people being self-absorbed, rude and inconsiderate (not saying ALL people in NYC are like this by any means). I wasnt offended by what that person said. I was upset because they offered no advice or anything that could be considered helpful to me. Its like people saw "Kentucky" but not "Chicago".

Im just here trying to get information. Yes, the job part will be difficult. I understand the struggle that may occur but that doesnt mean I dont want to try and give it 100%. If it works out, it works. If not, then .. not.

I also never said I wanted to move to Manhattan. That is beyond my means. I also said I wasnt looking for the "Sex and the City" lifestyle. I also know that that is beyond my means.
Chicago isn't NY. You may as well have lived in Kentucky for 6 years.
Chicago is a big city but that's where the comparisons end. Chicago carries traditional Midwestern values when it comes to its population and economics.

In NYC everyone's either trying to hustle you, step on and over you, or outright *********.

You should come and play the game. lol

Old 03-24-2012, 12:35 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
Chicago isn't NY. You may as well have lived in Kentucky for 6 years.
Chicago is a big city but that's where the comparisons end. Chicago carries traditional Midwestern values when it comes to its population and economics.

In NYC everyone's either trying to hustle you, step on and over you, or outright *********.

You should come and play the game. lol
You've never been to or spent much time in Chicago have you?

Old 03-24-2012, 01:03 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
You've never been to or spent much time in Chicago have you?
I've been there and Chicago is nothing like NY except for the skyline and relative size of the City.

I'm not claiming that NYC is better than Chicago just that the 2 cities may share similar facades but their cores are very different.

Old 03-24-2012, 01:29 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
I've been there and Chicago is nothing like NY except for the skyline and relative size of the City.

I'm not claiming that NYC is better than Chicago just that the 2 cities may share similar facades but their cores are very different.
I won't argue that, you just made it sound like Chicago was nothing more than some poo-dunk town or something, which is not true. Chicago may be cheaper and easier to live in compared to NYC, but it can still be a rough city, and it is still a big metropolis to "make it" in.

Old 03-24-2012, 02:02 AM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,306 times
I lived in both Chicago and NYC and they are nothing alike. The OP really had better do her homework. The vacancy rates for housing are next to zilch in NYC, it's not like Chicago where you can find a decent apartment within a week.

Also, for what it's worth, a luxury studio with gorgeous views in the Gold Coast is the same amount of rent as a roach-infested dump studio in a bad section of Brooklyn. And even those are fought over and go quickly. Think about that one.

And stating that 100K is barely getting by in Manhattan is not an exaggeration, it is reality. That's just barely enough for a decent place and basic expenditures. In the outer boroughs maybe more like 70-80K.

Old 03-24-2012, 08:58 AM

52 posts, read 133,156 times
Ugh you guys ... that's what Im trying to do - my homework! Can we please move on from Chicago/Kentucky talk? NYC is very different from Chicago as I previously stated. . if I thought they were the same, I'd be in for trouble. I meant as far as city life. All Im saying is I havent just lived in po-dunk towns my whole life. That's it.

And urbanlife... I plan to play the game.

Old 03-24-2012, 02:32 PM

477 posts, read 1,406,710 times
I know people that had shares in boro park for
$650 a person + utilities but they are far from the train. The general rule is the closer to the subway the more expensive it is. The main problem you will have is that all people on the lease must make 40x rent and if you have no job they will not offer you a lease unless you pay the whole year upfront. New York is notorious for renters not paying rent and it being difficult for landlords to get them out so the renting requirements have become very strict. If you can find a roommate who will let u rent a room without putting u on the lease it's possible to get into an apartment.

Old 03-24-2012, 02:33 PM

13 posts, read 23,143 times
OP this is a good site to check out for apartment listings in different neighborhoods: StreetEasy: NYC Rentals, Manhattan Apartments & Rentals In New York City, Brooklyn, Queens And The Bronx

You can choose whether having certain amenities like an elevator or laundry in the building are important to you as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City