Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2011, 06:12 PM

393 posts, read 892,049 times

Advertisements

Ok, so my parents are considering a move to New York City. They are semi-retired (they both work part-time, very few hours) and our family is from Wisconsin. Both my sister and I have ended up out here for work, and she has married and is pregnant. Because they want to be by their grandchild, my parents are thinking about moving. But, compared to Wisconsin, housing prices are prohibitively expensive here, so they want to try living in a senior community. Not assisted living or anything, just one of those "55 or better" or "60 or better" type things with reduced rent and such. They do not care about size, no studios though. My sister and her husband live in Brooklyn Heights, and I live in Flushing, although I'm moving soon to either Greenpoint or Long Island City. They'd like to be able to easily take transit to visit us both, but obviously it is more important for them to be closer to her, because they'll probably get saddled with watching the baby a lot (the husband's parents live in Connecticut). I can't seem to find a lot of information about it online, so I turned to y'all. Any good senior communities in the New York area, preferably Brooklyn or Queens? They could keep their car but it'd be much easier and cheaper for them not to.

Edit: My sister and I both like Staten Island for them, because we're not sure how they'd adjust to the big city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 08:44 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,386,019 times
I know there is a new development explicitly for the 55+ crowd, although there are income and other restrictions. It may already be full too, however it is worth checking out. It is adjacent to the train lines with an easy commute to the city..called the Cedars in Longwood (Bronx).

Cedars | Urban Quotient

Old 09-01-2011, 10:55 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,624,794 times
Don't forget that New York State exempts all pensions from taxation--Federal, municipal and private. Another good reason to consider the Big Apple as a retirement destination!

Old 09-01-2011, 10:59 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,984,260 times
If you find something, jump on it.
I knew a woman in Secaucus, NJ (near NY).
She applied to senior living, they had a sliding scale according to your income.
The waiting list was multiple years long. You had to be a resident of the town at the time you applied.

Old 09-05-2011, 01:50 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,818,230 times
Any locally subsidized housing will have residency requirements, and rightly so. NYC taxes are not intended to subsidize out of State residents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Don't forget that New York State exempts all pensions from taxation--Federal, municipal and private. Another good reason to consider the Big Apple as a retirement destination!
Are you saying that NYS exempts FEDERAL taxation?

@SOBRO

So, it seems sensical for a senior couple from WISCONSIN to relocate to somewhere in The Bronx!? Specifically, when their reason for relocating is to be near their grandchild in BROOKLYN!

Old 09-05-2011, 09:46 PM

Mom would be fine in the Bronx, she lived in a pretty bad neighborhood in Milwaukee from age twelve until 24. Dad I would be worried about, he's from italy and has never really lived in a city. But, we're not going to find any senior communities without residency requirements (forgot about those!) So we're just going to try and find them a reasonable apartment immediately down a subway line from brooklyn heights. Thanks for the help all!

Old 09-05-2011, 09:57 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,922,710 times
You could probably find something good in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn. That area has numerous senior homes and it's a very good neighborhood.

I would advise you to avoid most of the Bronx, unless it's in an area like Riverdale.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:05 PM

11,646 posts, read 12,724,857 times
There are the ones that are government subsidized, with income limits, a long waiting list, and residency requirements. Then there are the Del Webb/Century Village ones for "active seniors." They are usually townhouse or garden apartment style dwellings with buses for shopping excursions, broadway shows, club house, etc. There are many of those in NJ and some on Long Island. The builders got tax breaks so the purchase price is usually much lower than somethng comparable for younger folks.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:13 PM

Unless there are some down the subway line from Brooklyn Heights, those aren't going to work out too well unfortunately. And I highly doubt that there are any in Brooklyn.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:17 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,386,019 times
jcoltrane, I am offering the information that I know and allowing her to make the decision. So what's the problem?

Paddock, don't be discouraged...I know the city is creating housing specifically for many kinds of situations, like teachers, seniors, etc. The Cedars in the Southern Bronx is one example, however there might be more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City