Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 05:39 AM

431 posts, read 2,126,854 times

Advertisements

Guywithacause,, You Are So Dead On! Totally Agree, Especially About The Job Market. It's Like Night & Day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2007, 09:47 AM

857 posts, read 4,881,589 times
Guywithacause... I agree with much of what you say, but each individual has different priorities and that makesa difference as to where is the better place to live.
I grew up in Bklyn, went to school in NYC, moved to White Plains in my 20s, and enjoyed every minute of it. Had a great social life and plenty of cultural interests. Great museums, theater, restaurants, etc.
In my 30s I moved to the Atlanta area because I was divorced and raising a child. It was much cheaper, I could afford a nicer house in a good neighborhood, and I had more free time to spend with my son (due to the lack of a social life and cultural interests) but that was my priority at that time.
In my 40s I have finished raising my son and I can do anything and go anywhere that I want. I go back up to NY for a "culture fix" every so often, but its hard to move back because of the prices. But, truthfully, I make more money in the south than I would if I stayed in NY. I found that it was easier to start a company here than up there and if you are willing to work hard I think most northerners relocating to the south will find that they don't have to make less money here, but they sure will spend less here.
I have gotten tired of Atlanta and am researching other areas, probably in NC, but I don't think I would ever move back to NY. I have a construction company, and I can more easily make a living down here than up there. Plus, when I go up to NY for a visit it is still a treat for me. If I lived there then the novelty would wear off.

Old 09-02-2007, 02:24 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,681,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthmeetsSouth View Post
I have a construction company, and I can more easily make a living down here than up there. Plus, when I go up to NY for a visit it is still a treat for me. If I lived there then the novelty would wear off.
How's the construction industry in ATL? Construction costs (union and non-union) in New York are by far the highest in the nation! That's the main reason for the high housing prices in the Apple!

Old 09-04-2007, 07:50 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,007,351 times
NorthmeetsSouth I agree with what you are saying. The city is certainly not for everyone, and that's okay...there is a big world out there (or so I read!). Some people, my parents included, enjoy a better overall quality of life outside of the city...heck ALOT of people do. Almost everything is much easier out there, and the lure of some breathing room @ an "affordable" price, and the option of having money left over to start a business is a huge plus. I agree.....the city serves it's purposes, as do places like Atlanta.

Unfortunately, many people are lured to these places with a dream of a lawn, a "big" house, and a "normal" live, only to find that they have a "big" life, a lawn, and not much else, as they are accustomed to city life. The low wages is sometimes tough to overcome for many, as is the need for a car to do EVERYTHING. All of this as well as a lack of an established social/support network means many people come back...not because they hated it necessarily, but because they were not properly prepared, mentally/financially.

However, I do believe those in low wage/unskilled professions live a MUCH better life than they would otherwise in the city. Those $10-$20 an hour jobs are everywhere, and certianly go MUCH further outside of the city. Those people, I find, greatly improve their lifestyle by moving out of the city...where they can afford a home, send their kids to a decent school, and live a "normal" life, one that they could never have living in this city.

Old 03-02-2016, 09:25 PM

10 posts, read 13,482 times
I have moved away 3 times and each time I returned. I missed the culture, the opportunities, the mindset of the people and i feel when i am in NYC I am accomplishing something. I came from a different country and I have lived in NYC 90% of my time in the US. No place like New York. I am currently in the midwest and came to pursue my degree as it was cheaper, but now that I am done I am on my way back to NYC or most likely somewhere nearby because it is too expensive now. Everyone has a reason for moving, just make sure this is what you truly want. Though you may be afraid, saddle up anyway (whichever choice you make) Most importantly don't let fear stop you or you will forever wonder what could have happened. I wish u the best on your return or stay and a lot of success in your decision

Old 03-02-2016, 10:30 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,724,281 times
Moved 3 years ago, I'd move back if someone held a gun to my head. I miss the sushi, pastrami & bagels, maybe a few other things, but it's a short list and not enough to tempt more than a long weekend visit. I miss the honesty of "native" NYers, which are dwindling in numbers; I like knowing up front what people REALLY think and if someone hates my guts or not.

The "mindset" of NYC is largely trashed by political extremes, gentrification strangling the arts, and douchy, shallow transplants who camp out a few years desperately trying to reinvent themselves for vacuous reasons. It felt like I was wading through a perpetual tsunami of craiglist dipsh!ts. Very few transplants I met were good eggs with potential, I much prefer immigrants to transplants because they generally to want to be here for the right reasons and I have more in common with them.

As far as "people" go, I moved to a place where the overall character of the people are much better. Where I'm living one can be polite for the sake of being polite and not worry about the other person in the conversation trying to hit you up for money. The downside is they're too polite to tell you the truth about the little things ("WTF, I lost the chili cook-off to s-and-so, does my chili suck? Really, you can tell me if it does." "Awww bless your heart, your chili was fantastic!!!").

Old 03-02-2016, 11:30 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,570,990 times
It's all about doing what's best for you. Like it was once said- the other side of the fence isn't necessarily greener, it's just green. I do think NYC is as good as it gets for finance jobs, obviously. And for other things like fashion, media, the arts. But unless you make fantastic money it is just so, so hard to get ahead. If I ever leave it's going to be for financial reasons, namely, the fear of being of a certain age and still renting. That and my parents getting older. There are also the quality of life issues. But the one big thing that keeps me here is my job- I simply would never make what I make here back home, even adjusted for COL. Not even close. It's just scary watching property values rise and the super-rich take everything over.

Putting that elusive 20% down in a comfortable fashion becomes trickier and trickier a thing to do in this environment, especially if you want to buy in Manhattan. And I'm one of those types that refuses to settle so eventually I may get pushed out if things carry on the way they have been. I read voraciously about the real estate market and feel somedays it's just a big insider trading scam. Who wants to invest in something that may be (very much seems like) another bubble? And who wants to live somewhere throwing their money away in middle age, not accruing any equity?

Trust me when I say the thought of the Midwest again makes me CRINGE. I think about my hometown, not far from where the Flint water crisis is happening right now. The horrible governor, Rick Snyder who poisoned innocent kids to save a few bucks and help his friends get rich. The crumbling roads there that are literally destroying people's cars they're so bad. Detroit trying to act like it's unaffected by declaring bankruptcy. You want to see something really sad? Go to Detroit, Michigan right now and watch how they are trying to make it like NYC. It's the most depressingly strange thing to witness having the reference point. You can't even go to a gas station there without putting your safety in serious jeopardy, they have almost no grocery stores, and they are charging over 2K a month for rent on the new developments. All I could think my last time there was "Why would people pay this kind of money to live here?". When I'm paying the same thing right now in a world-class city? If I went back I'd have to live in the suburbs. Kind of painful to do Chili's and Applebee's when you've done Daniel and Per Se. And the people suck. Fake-nice, will stab your grandmother in the back for fifty cents. Intellectually void, weekends center around things like beer and college football. And every person was cut from the same f&cking cloth, little diversity and dull, dull, dull. Have to pop pills and do blow just to make it tolerable.

Last edited by EastBoundandDownChick; 03-03-2016 at 12:00 AM..

Old 03-03-2016, 06:18 AM

37,238 posts, read 39,529,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
It's all about doing what's best for you. Like it was once said- the other side of the fence isn't necessarily greener, it's just green. I do think NYC is as good as it gets for finance jobs, obviously. And for other things like fashion, media, the arts. But unless you make fantastic money it is just so, so hard to get ahead. If I ever leave it's going to be for financial reasons, namely, the fear of being of a certain age and still renting. That and my parents getting older. There are also the quality of life issues. But the one big thing that keeps me here is my job- I simply would never make what I make here back home, even adjusted for COL. Not even close. It's just scary watching property values rise and the super-rich take everything over.

Putting that elusive 20% down in a comfortable fashion becomes trickier and trickier a thing to do in this environment, especially if you want to buy in Manhattan. And I'm one of those types that refuses to settle so eventually I may get pushed out if things carry on the way they have been. I read voraciously about the real estate market and feel somedays it's just a big insider trading scam. Who wants to invest in something that may be (very much seems like) another bubble? And who wants to live somewhere throwing their money away in middle age, not accruing any equity?

Trust me when I say the thought of the Midwest again makes me CRINGE. I think about my hometown, not far from where the Flint water crisis is happening right now. The horrible governor, Rick Snyder who poisoned innocent kids to save a few bucks and help his friends get rich. The crumbling roads there that are literally destroying people's cars they're so bad. Detroit trying to act like it's unaffected by declaring bankruptcy. You want to see something really sad? Go to Detroit, Michigan right now and watch how they are trying to make it like NYC. It's the most depressingly strange thing to witness having the reference point. You can't even go to a gas station there without putting your safety in serious jeopardy, they have almost no grocery stores, and they are charging over 2K a month for rent on the new developments. All I could think my last time there was "Why would people pay this kind of money to live here?". When I'm paying the same thing right now in a world-class city? If I went back I'd have to live in the suburbs. Kind of painful to do Chili's and Applebee's when you've done Daniel and Per Se. And the people suck. Fake-nice, will stab your grandmother in the back for fifty cents. Intellectually void, weekends center around things like beer and college football. And every person was cut from the same f&cking cloth, little diversity and dull, dull, dull. Have to pop pills and do blow just to make it tolerable.
If you had to move back to the Midwest, why wouldn't you opt for a city that's doing well or at least noticeably in recovery?

Old 03-03-2016, 06:38 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,946,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
If you had to move back to the Midwest, why wouldn't you opt for a city that's doing well or at least noticeably in recovery?
She already mentioned her job. Ive said it many times here, everyone gripes about the col here, but you won't find the same professional jobs that you would here in other locations. And even if you do, salaries are generally lower to reflect the lower col elsewhere. Jobs are a major factor with most who contemplated moving unless you are in the retirement stage.

Old 03-03-2016, 07:22 AM

1,494 posts, read 2,724,281 times
It's called "Golden Handcuffs": not being able to move elsewhere because you won't get a comparable salary anywhere else. It's a rather common problem in big cities like NYC and SF, even if you want to and can move the salary drop is a giant kick in the nuts. My spouse and I had the problem for a while, but other large cities are starting to have better job prospects as fortune 5's and finance companies start setting up satellite locations outside of the tri-state and Cali because the tax environment and business climate suck balls. You have companies starting to flee and causing a bit of brain drain from NY and CA to other states, look for opportunities in cities that are having an business influx from other states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City