Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2014, 11:20 PM

2 posts, read 2,489 times

Advertisements

I really need help . I live as an occupant with my partner at Emarald green under 80/20 programme . I am not on the lease since we are not married and now I recently found out that my partner has cancer. Unfortunately he is in last stage and has no hope. Will they evict me if he dies? If we register for domestic partnership, will this help me to transfer lease to me if he pass away? How can I be a co leaser or on the lease? This is very serious situation and building is no help to me. Please help me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 11:22 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,250,251 times
Do they know you are living there with him? Does your income combined with his income still fit in the bracket that qualified him to get the apartment?

Old 02-05-2014, 11:31 PM

2 posts, read 2,489 times
Hi. Thank you for your reply. I do yearly recertification process along with my partner. But I am under occupant status NOT coleaser unlike any married couple. My income is 130k but my partner income is 10k. I was told that this doesn't matter since my partner applied and got the unit long time ago and now it's only my partner whose income matters and they do yearly rent adjustment based on my partner's income not mine since I am just an occupant. How to be on the lease or how can I become co leaser?. This is very complicated.

Old 02-05-2014, 11:42 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,250,251 times
Yikes sorry about your situation and your sick partner. I really don't know how to help you. I think if they were able to transfer it to you you would be disqualified as your income is way to high. But I don't know anything for certain. I assume you contacted or tried to contact the people he deals with when he does his yearly certification. They would really be the ones that would need to direct you to someone who has answers for you.

Old 02-06-2014, 06:44 PM

298 posts, read 707,801 times
You should have a lot of cash saved by now.

Old 02-06-2014, 06:50 PM

31,962 posts, read 27,101,861 times
There is not such a thing as a "transfer" of a lease, but in certain instances various family members have a legal right either succession and or having their names added legally to the lease.

I for one do not understand if marriage is the only issue why almost two years after NYS has made such things legal hasn't this couple done so already. Elderly NYS gays have been married in hospitals and nursing homes for instance.

In any event the OP needs to contact a good real estate attorney for clear advice regarding his rights, if any exist. I would do so sooner rather than later before the demise of the ill partner.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:28 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,995,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitpatel99 View Post
I really need help . I live as an occupant with my partner at Emarald green under 80/20 programme . I am not on the lease since we are not married and now I recently found out that my partner has cancer. Unfortunately he is in last stage and has no hope. Will they evict me if he dies? If we register for domestic partnership, will this help me to transfer lease to me if he pass away? How can I be a co leaser or on the lease? This is very serious situation and building is no help to me. Please help me.
With all the changes in domestic partner law you really need to seek the advice of an attorney on this one and not the people here. Sorry for your partners troubles and hope you can hang in there,

Old 02-07-2014, 07:08 AM

343 posts, read 1,093,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitpatel99 View Post
I do yearly recertification process along with my partner. But I am under occupant status NOT coleaser unlike any married couple. My income is 130k but my partner income is 10k. I was told that this doesn't matter since my partner applied and got the unit long time ago and now it's only my partner whose income matters and they do yearly rent adjustment based on my partner's income not mine since I am just an occupant. How to be on the lease or how can I become co leaser?. This is very complicated.
You make 130k a year and you want them to put a low income apartment in your name? even if they did that, which i highly doubt the would.. they'd raise your rent according to your income and it'd basically be market rate for a luxury building so whats the point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: