Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 06:43 PM

53 posts, read 213,766 times

Advertisements

Hey all, I'm a college aged student looking to possibly relocate to the NY area and I was looking for a suburb near New York where it would be possible to afford a 1 bed room or even a studio apt in the neighborhood of around $700- $800 per month. I understand I won't be able to really live right in the center of downtown for that cheap but I was wondering if there were any towns that are still commutable to the NY boroughs via public transportation for around that much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 07:44 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
You could try Newark NJ and commute via the PATH train, which is relatively inexpensive. However, there are quite a few parts of Newark that aren't really that safe.

Another option would be Staten Island.

The problem with going out to suburbs that are beyond the five boroughs is that your transportation costs grow quite a bit. The trains, like the Metro-North an LIRR, are not cheap. The subway is kind of cheap, though ($104 per month.)

Old 10-06-2011, 08:04 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
I dont think such a thing exists. The burbs near NYC are pricey from what Ive gathered. Btw newark wouldnt really qualify as a burb although it is cheap. The closest thing I can think of is maybe a place like west new york/guttenberg in jersey. I have family that lives over there. Although i dont know what the rates are like there now...

Old 10-07-2011, 03:43 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayuso View Post
Hey all, I'm a college aged student looking to possibly relocate to the NY area and I was looking for a suburb near New York where it would be possible to afford a 1 bed room or even a studio apt in the neighborhood of around $700- $800 per month. I understand I won't be able to really live right in the center of downtown for that cheap but I was wondering if there were any towns that are still commutable to the NY boroughs via public transportation for around that much.
If you consider airplanes public transportation, maybe.

Seriously though.

In that range, you might and I emphasize might find an illegal (and most likely crappy at the least, dangerous at the worst) basement to live in.

Think about renting a room or being roommates with someone.

Old 10-08-2011, 01:51 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Apply for affordable housing at Newport, Jersey City, NJ...you might get lucky. Big one bedrooms are $990 but there are only 200 of these apartments.

Worth your time.

Old 10-08-2011, 04:41 PM

141 posts, read 353,455 times
I rent a 1 bedroom for $900 in a middle class area of Yonkers. I'm close to the 4 train, and a bus ride away from the 2 or 5 (Mt. Vernon/Bronx border). $700 is low, but you could find a place for $800 or $900 in Mt. Vernon, Yonkers, or the Bronx. Just make sure it's a safe area.

Old 10-08-2011, 09:38 PM

168 posts, read 523,366 times
You can do a share in Brooklyn for $800/mo. You won't be living in Park Slope or Brooklyn Heights, but you won't have to settle on East New York either. Check Bushwick, Ridgewood, Clinton Hill, western part of Crown Heights and even Ditmas. If you can't do the roomate thing, then yeah, you'll be looking at some bad parts of Jersey or Mt. Vernon/Bronx/Yonkers.

Old 10-09-2011, 03:45 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,125,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayuso View Post
If you're willing to find a 2-bedroom and split it with a roommate, you could probably find a place in a decent part of Staten Island. The problem is the commute is really long if you take the ferry, or even the local bus to the (R) train. Express buses run, but they cost over $200 per month.

Then again, that's what the sommuting costs would be like in a lot of suburbs.

But in any case, consider looking for a 2-bedroom and splitting it with a roommate or two.

Old 10-10-2011, 05:38 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
You might try JERSEY CITY HEIGHTS.
Commute is not anywhere as easy as being atop a PATH train but rents are much lower. With some digging you might find something decent at your price.

A 2-bedroom for $1600 is going to be the easier option.

Old 10-15-2011, 04:01 PM

801 posts, read 2,565,130 times
If I was to live in NY I think i would be looking for the same thing as you, so just out of curiosity I looked at Craigslist.

There were over a dozen apartments listed today for between $800 and $1100... I have no idea if the areas were safe or desirable, but most of the interior photos looked really clean and liveable -- small, studio or 1br walkups in older buildings, with wood floors, radiators, and decent size kitchens. It was quite a variety of locations. Some were NY addresses and some were in Jersey.

Look at Craigslist apartments by owner, search by price, and you'll see what's out there. If any sound good, map them, and then search or post on the forums to find out about those particular locations.

All things considered, $100 to $200 per month for public transit doesn't sound bad. I live on the far outskirts of Chicago and commute another 45 minutes further out for work, and I put out $240 a month for gas, $120 a month for car insurance, and $335 a month for a car payment.

Good luck and let us know what you find!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City