Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 01:25 PM

224 posts, read 347,915 times

Advertisements

The sky is NOT the limit.

The average price for an apartment in Manhattan was 1.46 million. And that includes the entire Manhattan.

Anyway, I think the Upper West Side should suit you well. I personally would go with Tribeca.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 01:36 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
The UES/UWS have more family buildings, which would work with the rental price, whereas TriBeCa has many newer buildings, and might be more restrictive when looking for a larger 2BR/3BR apartment.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 10-07-2011, 01:38 PM

615 posts, read 1,676,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balmain View Post
The sky is NOT the limit.

The average price for an apartment in Manhattan was 1.46 million. And that includes the entire Manhattan.

Anyway, I think the Upper West Side should suit you well. I personally would go with Tribeca.
^^Ok, don't get your undies in a twist; read my reply to another poster! Geez.......

Got to watch what we type here or else.......

Oops! My 1st Mod delete. Hehe Didn't notice I broke a rule. :-/

Last edited by SummerBabe; 10-07-2011 at 01:52 PM..

Old 10-07-2011, 08:20 PM

No rules broken. Just that we have to remove certain sites from which there are issues of competition.

For the OP: One thought you may wish to consider are the schools. Even in the best zoned public schools, like the UES, TriBeCa, and Park Slope, there have been reassignments within school boundaries due to overcrowding. So, while you may do everything in your power to ensure you are within a particular zone, if the enrollment is over a certain number, your student could be sent to another school in the area. It's something to consider, since it's not an unknown phenomenon in a popular Manhattan/Brooklyn school zone.

Also, the highest rated district is District 26, which is Eastern Queens. You could find a single-family home within your budget in this area, including parts of Bayside, Douglaston, and Little Neck. Riverdale in The Bronx also has very good local schools, and placements due to overcrowding are not as common. You would also be able to find a single-family home within range as well. The advantage to the city is that you don't have to pay the exorbitant taxes of NJ, Westchester, and LI suburbs, but you also don't have the smaller schools that are centered around a a particular town/village in the city.

City-Data FAQs

Old 10-08-2011, 03:03 PM

10 posts, read 60,752 times
If we buy, we could potentially go higher than 1.5 million, but we don't know exactly how long we'll be in NYC. We know we'll be there at least three years, but beyond that, we have no idea. If we know that we'll be there for a long time, we'll buy, but I think we've decided to rent for the time being.

We aren't 100% set on Manhattan, but that is definitely where we're centering our search. We really like the TriBeCa area, but we like the private schools around the UES (One of my cousins attended Brearley, and couldn't say enough about it. Her step-sister attended Marymount, and absolutely adored it). Both my husband and I will be working in the Financial District, so TriBeCa is definitely better commute, distance-wise.

Ugh. Why does this have to be so hard? I have a feeling this will turn into a thing where one of us will want TriBeCa, and the other will want the UES.

If we lived in TriBeCa, would enrolling our older one in school on the Upper East Side be a problem? I feel like this might be a bit of a stupid question, but we've run into a very similar problem in our current city. We couldn't enroll our older one in a private nursery school because we lived too far away.

Old 10-08-2011, 05:28 PM

174 posts, read 415,200 times
I have a 3 and 8 year old and live in the UWS.
I looked at everywhere in Manhattan and it was the best we found for our kids.We live ontn the corner of 71st and Columbus and love it.We have everything at our doorstep and would not consider to move anywhere else. I love Tribeca/West Village/Chelsea however with kids I feel the UWS is better equipped.The UES is lovely but the commute was a problem. There is only one train line. Make sure you consider your commute!!
Good luck with your choice.

Old 10-08-2011, 07:48 PM

The commute to the UES from TriBeCa in the morning would not be too difficult; however, once at the school, you would then have a regular commute from the UES in the morning, with an added complication of possibly getting your vehicle back to its TriBeCa garage before going to work; and, a repeat performance in the afternoon. There are car services like Kid Car NY that have school drop-off service, but your child would be too young to go on their own, so an adult would need to accompany them to school. If your hours are flexible enough, it could work, but there would be added complications getting to/from the UES twice a day, such that the commute would be longer than if you lived in parts of Westchester or New Jersey, despite not leaving the island of Manhattan. If you were to find a school closer to home in TriBeCa, then it would dramatically simplify life for you as you would be close to work and home, without the twice daily detour to the UES.

For an initial three-year duration, I would not buy a property since it could be difficult to sell; and, in this market, you may not have significant appreciation to offset the sales commission. Renting would make more sense, as you can always buy later if you opted to stay in NY.

City-Data FAQs

Old 10-08-2011, 11:12 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,917,376 times
The Upper East Side/West Sides are some the best neighborhoods in the whole city, especially for kids.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:31 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Between 60th and 90th and Fifth to Lex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City