Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2007, 01:51 PM

167 posts, read 553,506 times

Advertisements

What's your favorite neighborhood in NYC, either for work, play, architecture, food or whatever? And why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 01:58 PM

214 posts, read 1,005,413 times
food -- chinatown! =) nuff said.
hang out -- union square. i don't know... i just feel very comfortable around that area. a close 2nd would be central park (not a neighborhood, but you get the idea).
architecture/live -- brooklyn heights, park slope, cobble hill. very nice brownstones, more relaxed than manhattan, with good restaurants.

Old 08-22-2007, 02:10 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,944,603 times
I LOVED living on the upper West side. A GREAT place to live. Then I relocated for work and had to leave. Coming back for yet another relocation I opted to live on the East side in the midtown area because then I could walk to work. It's OK here, but I still miss the West side.

Old 08-22-2007, 07:11 PM

650 posts, read 2,518,030 times
for living, I think Brooklyn Heights might be the nicest.
for hanging out in the city, I agree Union Square is one of the nicer spots

Old 08-23-2007, 02:34 PM

442 posts, read 790,641 times
Architecture- Tudor City or Forest Hills Gardens.

Old 08-23-2007, 04:24 PM

2 posts, read 6,189 times
Default Nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerita View Post
What's your favorite neighborhood in NYC, either for work, play, architecture, food or whatever? And why?

for food - I choose China town

for work - of course Manhattan

for shopping - 5th avenue

for fresh air and green color - Central park & Botanic garden

that is all I know about NYC

Old 08-24-2007, 08:17 AM

314 posts, read 492,778 times
i'll never understand people who rave about chinatown. that joint is disgusting. ask any fireman who's worked that company about the restaurants in chinatown. you'll never go there again.

work: midtown (convenient trains, good variety, lots of other people, easy to bang the new girl who's trying to act corporate but is way too sloppy at happy hour)

architecture: BK heights or park slope (love the old brownstones. too bad that they're multi-million $ joints now thanks to the onslaught of outsiders)

food: bay ridge (yes, my joint. maybe the old neighborhood (b-hurst) used to compete, but no longer. we definitely hold the title now.)

play: UES, Union Sq., East Village (i hate to admit this. although the outsiders have ruined the island, business caters toward making their experience fun. and, the sports bars in the UES with every sports package imaginable, the dark, dirt-cheap union sq. joints, and the live music places in the E village are damn fun)

Old 08-24-2007, 01:59 PM

10,068 posts, read 14,449,392 times
Food: East Village has tons of variety--about anything you want to eat.

Work: Downtown has that vibe of focus and work energy. Get it done and make lots of cash doing it.

Play or Hang Out: Williamsburg, Brooklyn feels like a grown-ups college campus with an edge. Laid back, exciting, strange, and inviting all at the same time.

Architecture: Soho is beautiful on a grey, foggy, or rainy day.

To Live: The West Village!! Ideal brownstones on tree-lined curvy streets evoke the feeling of a quaint village. Yet 2 blocks away you are in the middle of the most exciting city on earth!

Shopping: Union Square has easy access, large stores, small stores, and outstanding central location. When the farmers' market is there, you can't beat it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City