Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 06:16 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterpetron View Post
It already did, in '75 when the city went bankrupt.

It is different now because of the confluence of several trends, including:

-the exponential and unsustainable increase in the city's budget, particularly for medicaid, welfare and pension costs

-the mass exodus of the middle and upper classes over the past 10-15 years, which has severely reduced the tax base - wonder why the city and MTA have to issue so much debt just to pay for basic, ongoing expenditures?

-the mass influx of illegals and poor replacing those leaving above, who demand massive social services but cannot pay for them

-the feds are also bankrupt and unable to bail out the city the way they have in the past

- the increase in the number of municipalities around the country like Harrisburg that have or are about to declare bankruptcy as a means of fighting against the public union employee cancer

- the overall, long-term trend of pensions and health care for current and retired public union workers that is consuming an ever increasing percentage of the budget

- a higher percentage of homeowners in the city's wealthier districts are pied a terres, meaning that they own here but live abroad - which translates to zero income taxes paid for many people living in high-end residences. As much as 1/3 of some hi-rise buildings in manhattan are said to be owned by foreign nationals spending less than 2 weeks per year in NYC

When a rational person looks at these trends from a broad perspective, it becomes obvious that the city is massively outspending its revenues. With the continued exodus of the higher income earners and business sector, the city's future is desperate.

If Wall street had not had recent banner years juiced by borrowed chinese money, the city might already have collapsed.
Ranting at its finest.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 06:19 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
Puerto Ricans are already born citizens. How could they have anchor babies? You lost the little cred you had with that pearl. I stopped reading after that...

Old 10-13-2011, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Puerto Ricans are already born citizens. How could they have anchor babies? You lost the little cred you had with that pearl. I stopped reading after that...
Every block has one of these. The token old guy who walks around and talks to himself. Everybody pretty much ignores him.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:23 PM

1,123 posts, read 776,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
And another toad with zero ability to debate the vast points in my multiple posts in this thread.

Someday a quality far left poster will walk into this forum, I await with high hopes but low expectations...

Old 10-13-2011, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Every block has one of these. The token old guy who walks around and talks to himself. Everybody pretty much ignores him.
And you're a mod? With the garbage you post? Emblematic of the forum, indeed...

Surprise us with something intelligent and on-topic.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
And you're a mod? With the garbage you post? Emblematic of the forum, indeed...

Surprise us with something intelligent and on-topic.
I'm a mod, not a role model.
You post the same stuff every few months. Yet you're still here. Why?

Old 10-13-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:
I'm a mod, not a role model.
You post the same stuff every few months. Yet you're still here. Why?
....still waiting for an intelligent response to the facts listed in the OP and subsequent follow up above...someday we might get one....

Old 10-13-2011, 06:37 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,166,733 times
Quote:
Here's some interesting facts about this city and state:

1) 35% of the NYC budget is for welfare

2) NYS spends over $52 Billion per year on medicaid, far more than any other state

3) Cuomo the idiot governor just mandated that medicaid recipients can receive their forms in any one of SIX languages other than english - and they are no longer visited by the state to make sure they quality, they only have to write in their assets/income on the forms

4) NYC is estimated to have over 2 million illegal aliens living in the 5 boros

5) over 335,000 people work for the City of NY - a higher proportion BY FAR of employees per population of any city in the country

6) and of course, NYC has the highest combined income tax rate in the country

Given that this city and state are hurtling towards bankruptcy, and I am just beyond fed up with the leftwing, liberal idiocy that passes for government in this city, having lived here for over 40 years, it is long past time to get out.

Any wonder why half of mexico and puerto rico live in NYC, if not to collect the ridiculous welfare medicaid benefits and free housing and schooling for their anchor babies that <I> am supposed to endlessly pay for?

If there is a reason to remain in this rathole, I can no longer think of one.
Yeah? So which one of your conservative rat-holes has a higher GNP, is wealthier, or more influential in world affairs than either the city or the state?

If conservatism works so well you'd think that there'd be some evidence of that, like an area that rises up out of the near-thirdworld status of conservative states to become unusually wealthy, and which commands the respect of nations.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:42 PM

Quote:
....still waiting for an intelligent response to the facts listed in the OP and subsequent follow up above...someday we might get one....
Ok here's an argument...Let's say I don't have kids. Yet I pay tax that contribute to the public schools where I live. Why should my tax go towards kids who are not my own? Bottom line is you won't avoid contributing towards social programs. You fail to realize that your right-wing comrades, as much as they hate to admit it, secretly love the unions and programs. How else can someone afford to live here when getting paid to wash that right-wing Bentley or process their right-wing driver's license renewal (with an Upper East Side address) at the DMV. Enough of the crap already. Republicans love capitalism; they eat it up like candy, and look what it caused. A country run by the 1%, and the other 99% starve. You probably have a bumper sticker that reads "Reaganomics."

This country was so well ran by your lovely Republicans that their own terrorist friends stabbed them in the back with 9/11. They promoted all that "Made in the USA" crap in the 80s, and dont impose any tarriffs. Lol. It should cost me $50-60K to buy a Camry. You go to France, you think you see American cars? Lol. Matter of fact, can you go to any other country and see American cars? Lmao. Please. Nobody wants them. Republicans are money hungry bastards who would slice their own mother's neck for the estate.

Back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Ok here's an argument...Let's say I don't have kids. Yet I pay tax that contribute to the public schools where I live. Why should my tax go towards kids who are not my own? Bottom line is you won't avoid contributing towards social programs. You fail to realize that your right-wing comrades, as much as they hate to admit it, secretly love the unions and programs. How else can someone afford to live here when getting paid to wash that right-wing Bentley or process their right-wing driver's license renewal (with an Upper East Side address) at the DMV. Enough of the crap already. Republicans love capitalism; they eat it up like candy, and look what it caused. A country run by the 1%, and the other 99% starve. You probably have a bumper sticker that reads "Reaganomics."

This country was so well ran by your lovely Republicans that their own terrorist friends stabbed them in the back with 9/11. They promoted all that "Made in the USA" crap in the 80s, and dont impose any tarriffs. Lol. It should cost me $50-60K to buy a Camry. You go to France, you think you see American cars? Lol. Matter of fact, can you go to any other country and see American cars? Lmao. Please. Nobody wants them. Republicans are money hungry bastards who would slice their own mother's neck for the estate.

Back to our regularly scheduled programming.
PS: Look at what you Republicans did to Detroit. You took the manufacturing industry out to the pasture and shot it dead. Now you whine about people needing Medicaid? No wonder why.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City