Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 01:08 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payne222 View Post
That's what I was referring to...it's ON Long Island. I know it's part of NYC, but it's still on Long Island. I guess it's just a difference in not being from there. I know and get that Queens and Brooklyn are both part of the city but I didn't think for saying that they're on Long Island (which we established that, yes, those 2 boroughs are on an island called Long Island) would get so much backlash.
Now you know.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 01:36 PM

124 posts, read 219,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Now you know.
Hahahah you're right! Thanks!

Old 10-28-2011, 01:50 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWesternEastern View Post
To get to Manhattan you'd have to take the Q46 to Queens Blvd and get the E or the F train. Its only like a 15 minute ride to the station. I think the school has its own Manhattan express buses as well.
The express buses are run by the MTA. They are the QM1, QM5, QM6, QM7, and QM8. Out of those, the QM1/7/8 run rush hours only, and the QM5/6 run 7 days a week.

The fare is $5.50 per trip, or $50 for a weekly pass (that's also good on the subway and local buses). If you plan on going to Manhattan often, it might pay to get the weekly pass. (You pay more, but you get a direct ride and a guaranteed comfortable seat on the express bus vs. the local bus/subway)

The local bus/subway cost $2.25 per trip, or $104 for a monthly pass (or $29 for a weekly)

Old 10-28-2011, 04:47 PM

67 posts, read 244,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
The express buses are run by the MTA. They are the QM1, QM5, QM6, QM7, and QM8. Out of those, the QM1/7/8 run rush hours only, and the QM5/6 run 7 days a week.

The fare is $5.50 per trip, or $50 for a weekly pass (that's also good on the subway and local buses). If you plan on going to Manhattan often, it might pay to get the weekly pass. (You pay more, but you get a direct ride and a guaranteed comfortable seat on the express bus vs. the local bus/subway)

The local bus/subway cost $2.25 per trip, or $104 for a monthly pass (or $29 for a weekly)
What I meant was, I think the school has its own coach buses to Manhattan because they now have a small campus in Manhattan. So they have their own 'express bus' at certain times during the day back and forth between their Manhattan and Queens campuses. I've seen them, they are red and have their logo on them.

Old 10-30-2011, 07:13 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Quote:
but I didn't think for saying that they're on Long Island (which we established that, yes, those 2 boroughs are on an island called Long Island) would get so much backlash.
On this board you can say "The sun is shining today" and you will get backlash.

Old 10-30-2011, 07:18 AM

307 posts, read 928,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Payne222 View Post
That's what I was referring to...it's ON Long Island. I know it's part of NYC, but it's still on Long Island. I guess it's just a difference in not being from there. I know and get that Queens and Brooklyn are both part of the city but I didn't think for saying that they're on Long Island (which we established that, yes, those 2 boroughs are on an island called Long Island) would get so much backlash.
I didn't really see a big backlash, but anyone who lives in the tri-state area would never say "Queens and Brooklyn" are IN or ON Long Island. Just not done. When we refer to Long Island it always means Nassau and Suffolk.

Old 10-30-2011, 03:41 PM

166 posts, read 443,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHEPNYC View Post
I didn't really see a big backlash, but anyone who lives in the tri-state area would never say "Queens and Brooklyn" are IN or ON Long Island. Just not done. When we refer to Long Island it always means Nassau and Suffolk.
Right, it sounds very awkward to me.

Old 10-30-2011, 03:55 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,580,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWesternEastern View Post
What I meant was, I think the school has its own coach buses to Manhattan because they now have a small campus in Manhattan. So they have their own 'express bus' at certain times during the day back and forth between their Manhattan and Queens campuses. I've seen them, they are red and have their logo on them.
Here is what their website says about the buses:

Shuttle Bus Schedules

Old 10-30-2011, 04:01 PM

67 posts, read 244,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
Here is what their website says about the buses:

Shuttle Bus Schedules

Yea thats what I was referring to. The bottom schedule in particular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City