Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 04:20 AM

69 posts, read 217,809 times

Advertisements

I appreciate all the information you all have shared with me. However, I must say that it makes me even more concerned than ever about moving up there. The perception of Southerners is a real worry. I have a pretty strong Southern accent and am used to Southern hospitality and charm. So, I'm certain that moving to NY would be like night and day to me. I am especially worried about the cost of living. Can any of you give me an idea of what the property taxes are like in surrounding areas of NYC? Here, we pay around $5,000 a year. I can't imagine paying $6 for a pound of butter! WOW! Is that true only in the city or does it stand true of nearby areas, as well? Orangeburg, I believe, is about 15 miles from NYC. Are you saying that a salary of $100,000 won't sustain you if you live IN the city, or does that pertain to the outskirts, as well? I'm trying hard to gather as much information as I can so that we can make an informed decision that could greatly impact the rest of our lives. I don't want to get up there only to find that we're struggling to make ends meet. We have a pretty good life down here and I'd hate to give that up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 08:03 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,500,385 times
I wouldn't do that move. Stay in the south where it is still nice and affordable. Your utilities alone will go through the roof when you live here. Just paying for heating in a house will be a fortune. And electricity in the summers is brutal. Just to give you an idea, I have a small one bedroom apartment and my electric bill was over $200 for one month in July of this year. For a house, you are easily looking at over $400 a month (just a guess).

Old 10-27-2011, 08:09 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,921,952 times
If you're happy in the south stay there. YOu can come visit NYC whenever you want.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:14 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,581,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doxie64 View Post
Are most New Yorkers Catholic? Just wondering.
In my experience, most New Yorkers are.... nothing in terms of religion. They might say "Oh I'm Jewish" or "Oh I'm Catholic" and while they celebrate the big holidays, the majority of those I know and work with are not practicing any religion.

Orangeburg is near Pearl River, Monsey, Spring Valley, etc which are actually orthodox Jewish areas. I don't know what Orangeburg is like.

I don't know much about Orangeburg, but $100k for a family with 2 kids in NYC would be difficult. Is the 19 year old in college? You would have to be careful on the 15 year old's high school. I think Orangeburg is in Rockland County, so homes would be less expensive. You would have to take into consideration how you would commute if you are working in the city. Don't plan on driving into Manhattan every day. You might get better opinions from the New York forum that isn't specific to NYC.

You're asking how Southerners are perceived - have you ever BEEN to NY? Don't move without visiting at first. Check out Rockland County too before moving.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:39 AM

5,521 posts, read 8,773,454 times
Contrary opinion here:

If your husband is working in Orangeburg NY there will be several affordable communities within a half hour's drive where you can buy a house for, let's say, $400,000 ( assuming you can sell your present one). It may only have 3 or 4 bedrooms instead of five. But you will also be in a very typical suburban community much like any other in the US. The high prices for everything are in Manhattan and Westchester. Much of Rockland and northern NJ (which is an easy drive to Orangeburg) are substantially less expensive. I can assure you nobody there pays $6 for a pund of butter. It won't be as cheap as Atlanta, and property taxes will be higher, but you don't have to be a millionaire to live there either. Rockland, in fact, is home to many many NY police, fireman, school teachers and civil servants, who support families on less than 100 grand and commute to the city.

You will live the life more and more people in metro NY are living--they work, send their children to school, and live in the suburbs, and generally come into NYC mainly to be entertained, like to see a show, a parade, the fireworks, something like that. The same, I'd guess, that many people in suiburban Atlanta do, with people coming into the city for a ball game or a concert, but living 99% of their lives in the 'burbs.

I There are plenty of churches around, though you may have to drive to find one--but Sunday commutes are a lot easier. Many Baptist churches in the NE are indeed mainly black, but certainly not all of them. If you're looking specifically for a Southern Baptist church, however, that may be hard to find though.
If your husband's job offer comes through press them for a relo person who is expert in Rockland and northern NJ and can point out which towns are best suited for you in terms of affordability and schools. Offhand I can think of Permont and Tappan in NY, and Old Tappan and Northvale on NJ, though I do not know those towns really well, having only visited.

As far as being a southerner goes, it will basically be a non-issue for most folks. They will note your accent, ask where you're from, and then go on their way. Some will be totally ignorant about the South and have stereotypes about it. Some will not. You will make friends. And remember the old saying: "What other people think of me is none of my business."

Good luck.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:29 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,631,472 times
Quote:
I appreciate all the information you all have shared with me. However, I must say that it makes me even more concerned than ever about moving up there. The perception of Southerners is a real worry. I have a pretty strong Southern accent and am used to Southern hospitality and charm. So, I'm certain that moving to NY would be like night and day to me. I am especially worried about the cost of living. Can any of you give me an idea of what the property taxes are like in surrounding areas of NYC? Here, we pay around $5,000 a year. I can't imagine paying $6 for a pound of butter! WOW! Is that true only in the city or does it stand true of nearby areas, as well? Orangeburg, I believe, is about 15 miles from NYC. Are you saying that a salary of $100,000 won't sustain you if you live IN the city, or does that pertain to the outskirts, as well? I'm trying hard to gather as much information as I can so that we can make an informed decision that could greatly impact the rest of our lives. I don't want to get up there only to find that we're struggling to make ends meet. We have a pretty good life down here and I'd hate to give that up.
If you live within 50-100 miles of nyc depending which direction, it is very expensive. I pulled it off by living in an "undesirable area" an inner city. The high rent I paid living in an urban crime area where u can't walk outside at night, I could have lived like a king in some parts of the country. He better have a damn good job up there and like the impersonal fast pace of life. I grew up in the burbs and u couldn't pay me to stay up here. I'm leaving in 2 months.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:32 AM

69 posts, read 217,809 times
No...I have never had the chance to visit NY before, so I know very little about it, to be honest. The two times my husband has been to Orangeburg on his interviews, he's said it's like being out in the country. However, with it so close to NYC, I don't think he's accurate. I think he might be trying to play it up for my sake. He really hasn't had the opportunity to drive around to check out the area. He wouldn't be working in NYC...Orangeburg would be his central location.

Yes, that is the way that many people live here in the Atlanta area. Most with families prefer to live in the suburbs and drive into the heart of the city only for entertainment purposes.

Why do you feel we'd have to be careful with our 15 year old's high school? Do you mean that we'd need to be careful to make the right choice for her? I'm very concerned about having her transition to a whole new environment at such a tender and impressionable age. Yes, our 19 year old daughter attends college in AL.

I sincerely appreciate your help. My hope is that if my husband gets the job, his company will understand our situation and concerns and will allow my daughter and I to remain here in GA. while my husband travels each week to NY. I know that isn't the ideal situation, necessarily, but I believe we could make it work for the betterment of us all.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:40 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,581,189 times
Quote:
No...I have never had the chance to visit NY before, so I know very little about it, to be honest. The two times my husband has been to Orangeburg on his interviews, he's said it's like being out in the country. However, with it so close to NYC, I don't think he's accurate. I think he might be trying to play it up for my sake. He really hasn't had the opportunity to drive around to check out the area. He wouldn't be working in NYC...Orangeburg would be his central location.

Yes, that is the way that many people live here in the Atlanta area. Most with families prefer to live in the suburbs and drive into the heart of the city only for entertainment purposes.

Why do you feel we'd have to be careful with our 15 year old's high school? Do you mean that we'd need to be careful to make the right choice for her? I'm very concerned about having her transition to a whole new environment at such a tender and impressionable age. Yes, our 19 year old daughter attends college in AL.

I sincerely appreciate your help. My hope is that if my husband gets the job, his company will understand our situation and concerns and will allow my daughter and I to remain here in GA. while my husband travels each week to NY. I know that isn't the ideal situation, necessarily, but I believe we could make it work for the betterment of us all.

I didn't mean anything to make you nervous about the high school. I am just not familiar with Rockland county schools. I know NYC/Westchester schools much better. I don't know whether Public vs Private in Rockland is usually a pressing consideration. You would have to do your research. I will tell you from personal experience that 15/16 years old is a tough time to move / change schools.

If you can plan a trip to the area, you might put yourself more at ease. Rockland County and other suburbs ARE considered the "country" to many that live in NYC. If he is not commuting into the city, that makes it easier on you guys as well. Orangeburg's website has an aerial picture of the area. Certainly looks pretty "country" to me : Town of Orangetown - Orangeburg, New York

There are pros and cons to the move. Since it is a big one, you want to make sure you consider your options. What would be the downside of staying where you are vs. moving?

Here is some more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orangeburg,_New_York

Old 10-27-2011, 09:40 AM

1,494 posts, read 2,722,498 times
Quote:
I appreciate all the information you all have shared with me. However, I must say that it makes me even more concerned than ever about moving up there. The perception of Southerners is a real worry. I have a pretty strong Southern accent and am used to Southern hospitality and charm. So, I'm certain that moving to NY would be like night and day to me.
It's just the random punks and jerks who might make an issue out of the southern origin, but your neighbors, co-workers and new friends won't care and they will like you.

However you won't find the southern charm or hospitality here. In the suburbs people are a bit nicer than in the city, but it won't come close to what you're accustomed to in the south. I love southern charm and manners and wish we had more of it here too.

But yes, it will be like night and day.

Quote:
I am especially worried about the cost of living. Can any of you give me an idea of what the property taxes are like in surrounding areas of NYC? Here, we pay around $5,000 a year. I can't imagine paying $6 for a pound of butter! WOW! Is that true only in the city or does it stand true of nearby areas, as well? Orangeburg, I believe, is about 15 miles from NYC.
The $6 pound of butter price is common in Manhattan. In the suburbs it will be less then that, it's still going to be much more expensive than what you're used to- maybe $3-$5. I've seen a $4.89 5lb bag of flour at a major grocery store chain in Putnam county. While the cost of living is exceptionally high in NYC, it is still inflated and expensive in the NYC tri-state area suburbs compared to Atlanta. Hubs and I live in Manhattan but we have family in the suburbs. While we whine and moan about how much cheaper groceries are in the "burbs", we were nearly ready to slash our wrists when we visited Dallas and saw how much lower food costs were over there. Our eyes were nearly bursting out of our heads in amazement, and that was when we began to realize just how ripped off we'd be if we stayed in the Tri-State area to start a family.

Property taxes vary depend on the neighborhood and the value of the house. You may want to search for propery in Rockland County NY, filter for 3000-4000sf with 4brs and see what turns up. The property taxes should show up on the listing.

It looks like $5k a year is on the low end of the property tax spectrum for Orangeburg. I've seen homes in Putnam and Westchester (on the other side of the river) with taxes from $20k-$75k depending on the size and area. This is why the middle class is being pushed out of the tri-state. Even if you can afford the mortgage and the inflated cost of living, sometimes it is the taxes that will kill you.

Quote:
Are you saying that a salary of $100,000 won't sustain you if you live IN the city, or does that pertain to the outskirts, as well?

I am saying that $100k a year is not enough to support a family of 4 in either the suburbs or the city. To support and own property for a family of 4 in the city you need $500k a year or more, for the suburbs $350k a year or more.

$100k is enough to comfortably support one person renting in NYC, in the suburbs $100k is enough for a married couple with two modest cars, renting an apartment without kids.

But with kids, and to buy a house, pay for the property taxes, upkeep and a couple of cars it takes considerably more wealth. On $100k and a family of 4 you will be making enormous sacrifices to get by and I think you'd be much happier staying in Atlanta where the money goes a lot farther.

Quote:
I'm trying hard to gather as much information as I can so that we can make an informed decision that could greatly impact the rest of our lives. I don't want to get up there only to find that we're struggling to make ends meet. We have a pretty good life down here and I'd hate to give that up.
on $100k a year in the NYC suburbs you would need to give up your quality of life in order to squeak by. Money does not go very far in the tri-state, and a lot of people are shocked just how much it costs.

I am very sorry, but you will not be able to keep your quality of life the same on $100k a year in the NYC burbs.

IF it makes you feel any better, I think the tri-state is a rip off (I've lived in NYC all of my life) and I'm going to be relocating to Texas or Tennessee this year. You don't get anything in return for your hard earned money in NYC but small/crappy/expensive properties, mediocre schools, high taxes, bloated union contracts and a high cost of living to boot. I'd rather vote with my feet and move to the south, where I can have a big house with room for a couple of babies and guests, a large yard, better schools, plenty of shopping and low taxes.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:42 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
The person is moving to ORANGEBURG, not NYC. That's a big difference. Orangeburg is certainly not an urban area. Geez, it has a population of fewer than 4000 people.

No, you are not going to pay $6.00 for butter. Yes, you will find other Baptists/churches in that area, although Baptists aren't the No. 1 denomination the way they are in the south. There are other protestant churches, such as Presbyterians, and Bible/nondenominational churches. Here's a list I found of churches in Rockland County.

Churches and Synagogues of Rockland County, NY

A quick search on Realtor.com tells me that $380K will buy you about 1500-2000 square feet in Orangeburg itself. If your husband is working in Orangeburg and doesn't need to go to the city, why not search farther north from there--more into the country and the less populated areas? The further you go upstate from the city, obviously, the less expensive it will be. Remember that New York is a pretty big state, and 40% of the state population lives in the NY metro area--look on a map--that leaves a lot of space.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 10-27-2011 at 10:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City