Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2011, 09:35 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,689,401 times

Advertisements

I have already posted this on the auto board thought i'd also ask here

Around the holidays I plan to fly to Atlanta Ga to pick up my brother's car which is registered under his name and has Ga plates. I am going to bring it up here to Riverdale Bronx and take it to the NY DMV to register it

I currently have a car under my name with NY plates and a NY drivers license

I will be keeping my current car's insurance active until i get rid of it after the replacement car is registered

From what i've been told so far i have to:

get my brother to sign a DTF 802 section 6 from NY DMV and have him transfer the original title to me

I then take the 802 and title up to NY where I go to DMV with those plus an MV 82 to register the car in my name here in NY

i would be driving up here under my brother's insurance

when do i have to insure the car with my insurance? before registering?

when do i inspect the car here in NY? before or after registering in NY?

and I have 30 days to register the car?

second scenario(see below)

I want to register the car to me here in NY before leaving for Ga. I send my brother the 802 which he signs section 6 and returns to me. he also sends the original title transfer to me. I then go to NY DMV with those 2 plus the MV 82 and i register and insure the car before going to Ga

at what point do i have to do the NY inspection, 10 days from when i register the car?

i have already spoken to the DMV which has helped but i am seeking someone who also knows how this works

can i use a private company who can do this for me so I don't have to?

sorry to sound dumb but i always had the dealers register my car with the DMV in the past and my folks are no longer around to assist me with this so i'm not used to this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 11:42 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Sorry, I've had a drink so the question makes me dizzy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City