Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 07:47 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,632,729 times

Advertisements

He said he saw that it happened - I don't think that he witnessed it. Probably happened in the middle of the night anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 07:51 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,689,401 times
sorry to mislead everyone i meant i saw the story on Bronx 12 news online

bxguyanese Bainbridge and 198th at one time was Irish? I know the area above Mosholu Pkwy along Bainbridge was in the 80's (204th to 207th) but it extended down to 198th?

Old 11-07-2011, 11:01 AM

770 posts, read 1,131,483 times
Default Yes, it was Irish and Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post

bxguyanese Bainbridge and 198th at one time was Irish? I know the area above Mosholu Pkwy along Bainbridge was in the 80's (204th to 207th) but it extended down to 198th?

A lot of the Irish were on both sides of Mosholu, mostly on the north side. But from Mosholu to about 194 st, there was a mix of Irish, Italian, Polish and Jewish. Don't forget Villa Ave, just off Mosholu and near Jerome, was almost 100% Italians.

Things started changing around 1969. But up until 1980, the area around Mt. St. Urusla was nice and safe. I dated a girl that went there.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:44 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,780,689 times
Quote:

I was at Fordham University from 83 to 87 and yes, from roughly 197th or so and up, it was still Irish.

Old 11-07-2011, 01:11 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,050,733 times
Quote:
i heard also that someone who lived on W 190th street who was moving out due to drugs in the area was killed because the bad guys feared he might say something to police about their activities

and on the 2700 block of Morris Avenue (around E 196th) someone was also gunned down

but is this resident guy on Bainbridge interviewed is he really telling the truth that the area is quiet and safe or is he just saying that for whatever reason?
Well, E. 198th st is very close to Bedford Park Blvd, which is not that terrible an area. The guy may be talking about the general area, and not on E. 198th in particular. Look at it this way, if the person usually hangs out north of E. 198th st, the area is going to look good. I very much doubt he hangs out much below E. 198th st, because there is no way anyone can be shocked with a shooting occurring there. Shootings and murders have been going on in Fordham-Bedford for 20-25 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel
I walk through the area on the way to the library pretty frequently. I'm not crazy about 198th St so I tend to avoid it- it just looks so run down (with the exception of Mt. St. Ursula). I actually prefer 196th St., although I've heard it's actually higher crime. 196th has been really calm and quiet every time I've been there. The whole area seems quieter than it used to, but I don't know if that translates into safety improvements. When walking through, I don't see much hanging out, etc. Maybe at night it's different? I really don't know.
E 196th and Valentine/Creston/Morris/GC look incredibly run down, maybe you pass some good avenues. Anyways, looks can be deceiving. There are places in UH that look very nice but are actually among the most dangerous blocks.

Quote:
Supermario - I really don't remember many discussions about University Heights for whatever reason. I do have the impression that you're frequently mentioning how dangerous it is though.
Not really. I always talk about how the South Bronx and Fordham-Bedford are more dangerous. Nobody want's to believe me. Even though facts are in their face.

ANd Bronxguyanese, River Park Towers are in Morris Heights.

Old 11-07-2011, 01:44 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
I don't get why anyone would be surprised at this particular murder.

First of all I don't think a murder in almost any neighborhood in NY is really surprising.

This particular murder happened at 4 am and witnesses say that the victim had been involved in an argument with several other men when he was shot. Surprising ? No, the circumstances sound very familiar.Sounds like the same circumstances that surround most murders in NYC.

As many of us have pointed out repeatedly in other threads,Bedford Park Boulevard has long been the demarcation line in that area.North of BPB is a decent neighborhood,South of it is not.It is quite common almost everywhere in NYC for there to be rather drastic changes in neighborhoods within a few blocks.It has always been this way.If it had happened around 204th St I might have been somewhat surprised.

The bludgeoning murder of the guy on 190th St was surprising to me because of the age of the victim and the nature and time of the crime but the shooting on Bainbridge and 198th St @ 4 AM after an argument is not.

Last edited by bluedog2; 11-07-2011 at 02:21 PM..

Old 11-07-2011, 03:43 PM

great input everyone. i often express curiosity about these borderline areas because they're ...well...close to the border. since they are technically below the demarcation line where things improve but above the area where things are seriously bad (like E 183rd street) and like bluedog mentioned, a street's looks can be deceiving, i get very curious.

also since most Bronx talk amongst the older generation that had to do with egg creams and ice cream parlors and delis had to do with the areas at or below Fordham but not above it (i've never heard my parents relatives or friends talk of the E 190's or 200's), it makes the area look mysterious and makes me wonder what went on here decades ago before it changed. i've often wondered who lived on this curvy street Minerva Place decades ago. or why someone today would move to Fordham Bedford as opposed to further down. if they got an apartment in the 190's does it mean they are "better off" than someone who got a place in the 180's?

Old 11-07-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:
great input everyone. i often express curiosity about these borderline areas because they're ...well...close to the border. since they are technically below the demarcation line where things improve but above the area where things are seriously bad (like E 183rd street) and like bluedog mentioned, a street's looks can be deceiving, i get very curious.

also since most Bronx talk amongst the older generation that had to do with egg creams and ice cream parlors and delis had to do with the areas at or below Fordham but not above it (i've never heard my parents relatives or friends talk of the E 190's or 200's), it makes the area look mysterious and makes me wonder what went on here decades ago before it changed. i've often wondered who lived on this curvy street Minerva Place decades ago. or why someone today would move to Fordham Bedford as opposed to further down. if they got an apartment in the 190's does it mean they are "better off" than someone who got a place in the 180's?
I don't necessarily think it makes a difference. E. 183rd street is overrated nowadays. At least between Jerome and GC. W. 183rd street on the other side of the elevated is worse. No cameras on the west side.

But E. 194th is as bad as anything you'd find on E. 183rd. Take it from me, I've been to both areas. I actually am way more nervous on E. 194th.

Both neighborhoods are bad. Bad is bad. Both have drug problems, both have population which rely heavily on public assistance. I guess you can say that the 180's have been worse for longer, since they are comfortably south of Fordham, and maybe as a result have a little bit more poverty when taken as a whole than ones north. However the difference is minimal.

If you had to choose...then the 180's are probably a little bit worse overall than the 190's. Remember, there are some KILLER 180 blocks in Fordham, East Tremont, and West Farms...while the high 190's (197th-200th) are mixed blocks. Some good and some sketchy.

But lower 190's = 180's.

BTW, streets like 204 in Norwood are pretty drug ridden. Lets not act like everything is all gravy north of Bedford Park. Some Norwood blocks can get pretty hot.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:13 PM

Interesting fact that one of my favorite posters, who was a former cop (Baylovers) dropped on me a few years back.

"The Fordham-Bedford neighborhood had the highest concentration of ex-cons and parolees in the city of NY."

Old 11-07-2011, 08:28 PM

I was reading in the Norwood news a few years ago that Perry Ave and 205th is drug ridden and like the S Bronx

I do remember Baylovers he might have been the one said they left FB in 1977 because of crime
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City