Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2011, 09:39 AM

4 posts, read 13,683 times

Advertisements

Hello I bought a condo in brooklyn with a mezzanine as the top floor. I extended one part of the mezzanine by around 4 ft by 6 ft. The contractor (recommended by friend) assured me that I don't need a building permit because it is such a small project. I trusted him. Now I found out that I might need a building permit. Do I need a permit? Will the Brooklyn dept of building track my phone number if I call to ask. This is my first condo and I am really afraid
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 09:53 PM

650 posts, read 1,812,186 times
You probably do need a permit. But since it's interior work, you could probably get away with it. Just as long as you do not disturb any tenants in the morning and you do not have any nosey neighbors.

Brooklyn DOB is not sophisticated enough to track your phone number. If you're that worried, then why not just file for a permit. Will cost you more money but it's peace of mind.

Old 11-11-2011, 01:39 AM

I see, does anyone know what is the fine for permit after the fact. The extension has been done and I am really thinking about just reversing the modeling to avoid the fine.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:25 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,580,539 times
You pretty much always need a permit unless the change is cosmetic (tiles/painting). If it's any other type of change to the physical space, you usually need a permit.

You should ask the contractor (who should have known and probably just didn't want to spend the time) whether you can apply for a permit after the fact. If you ever try to sell the place, the fact you didn't have a permit could come up in an inspection. You may have to pay MORE for the "after the fact" permit, if it is allowable.

Old 11-11-2011, 04:16 PM

650 posts, read 1,812,186 times
haha if it's already been done, just leave it. No one complained so no problem. Don't be so paranoid, the city is not this organized to pick up a tiny extension of a mezzanine. They would literally need to be in your house with a set of plans showing the dimenions of the mezzanine. And if they catch it, just say you bought the condo that way. Say it's the previous tenant's addition. But since the city has no reason to be at your place, you should be fine.

Old 11-12-2011, 06:50 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
What is a "mezzanine" in an apartment? (I know the term from the theater.)
Are you talking about a loft type bedroom that you have extended into the air above the living room?

If so, then I'm with nudetypist, you have nothing to gain by opening the can of worms after the work is all done. Mums the word.

Old 11-12-2011, 07:53 AM

Yes it's a loft type on top of the living room. I am thinking of just taking it down quietly without the condo board and city noticing?

Old 11-12-2011, 10:36 AM

Taking down your addition or taking down the entire loft space?

Old 11-12-2011, 11:20 AM

Taking down the addtion

Old 11-13-2011, 07:09 AM

Why do that if you like it?
The worst case 5% scenario is that eventually an objection to the extension will be made and you will be forced only to "take it down" as you are willing to do now? Why torment yourself and create an unholy amount of work and chaos when 95% of the time you will be able to keep and enjoy the extra space and never hear a word about it?

Of course if you HATE it, then that's another consideration entirely.

But really, don't do it unless someone makes you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City