Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 09:59 PM

12 posts, read 18,923 times

Advertisements

HELLO ALL,

About me....

-30 year old single male - no children
-Current income of 70K per year
-Grew up in South. Hate the suburbs. Love the city

My dilemma...
-I currently live about 5 mins from my job (Highland Falls, NY) which is absolutely great. Surrounding area is absolutely dreadful to live in. There is zero nightlife and very few if any single ladies. Takes 25 minutes to get to nearest supermarket and everything shuts down at 7 p.m.

My question...
Would it be outrageous to even consider moving to nyc next year and doing a 1 hour reverse commute. I talked myself out of it last year but I am to the point that I cannot take the boredom. I need excitement. I need entertainment options. Please help.

I am considering inwood/washington heights areas since they are closer to GWB and Tappan Zee Bridge. I would even consider white plains if there was a place where there was decent night life.

Please tell me if I am crazy for even thinking about the commute. I would be happy to find a decent studio or even room with someone. I just can't take the boredom anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 11:21 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,824,000 times
Go ahead and bring that 70 large to the city.
You'll be homeless in Manhattan.
You'll be a superstar in The Boogie.

Take your pick.

Old 11-13-2011, 11:53 PM

12 posts, read 18,923 times
LOL!!!! Thanks for the insight. I am thinking of supplementing my income by teaching an adjunct class. What if I added another 4-6K to that? Is Inwood that expensive? I saw a few studios around the $1000 range on craigslist.

Old 11-14-2011, 12:05 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,824,000 times
You'll be killed then shot in Inwood.
In that order too.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:12 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,261,095 times
Go south young man, go south...to Philly.

Old 11-14-2011, 05:03 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,923,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpoindexter View Post
HELLO ALL,

About me....

-30 year old single male - no children
-Current income of 70K per year

My question...
Would it be outrageous to even consider moving to nyc next year and doing a 1 hour reverse commute. I talked myself out of it last year but I am to the point that I cannot take the boredom. I need excitement. I need entertainment options. Please help.

I am considering inwood/washington heights areas since they are closer to GWB and Tappan Zee Bridge. I would even consider white plains if there was a place where there was decent night life.

Please tell me if I am crazy for even thinking about the commute. I would be happy to find a decent studio or even room with someone. I just can't take the boredom anymore.
That commute might be a little longer than 1 hr with traffic. As far as Washington Heights, 176 to 193 West of Broadway is safe and nice. The neighborhood is predominatly Dominican with a few Jewish, Asian, Black, and White folks. You have lots of restaurants, grocery stores (bodegas), supermarkets, chinese eateries, etc. There are some clubs but they mostly cater to Spanish folks. (hip-hop/american music is played but the census is mostly Hispanic). A one bedroom can range from 1200 to 2000. You might also want to search Washington Heights in this Forum for more threads on the subject.

IMO, the 1hr+ commute followed by trying to find a parking spot in NYC will get tiresome for you. Let's say you get out of work at 6pm, you will get to the heights around 7;20 to 7;30 (8pm the latest) and then you will have to find parking. Then hop on the train to the bars/clubs in UWS, Midtown, Village, etc.

With your salary 70K, you will have no problem living in Washington Heights. The commute, parking spot, traffic etc will be your only issue.

You should add Hoboken, NJ if you want nightlife/bar scene with lots of singles. It's 1hr 17 mins per google maps but you don't have to pay a toll. There are lots of bars, restaurants, parks, etc. You also benefit from the NJ tax rate. On the weekends, you can hop on the path train and be in NYC in less than 20 mins.

Why not find a job in the city and move here?

Old 11-14-2011, 05:17 AM

25,387 posts, read 37,130,658 times
Can I guess that you work for the government (in West Point?)
Why not stay put, life is great with a 5 minute commute but arrange for your weekends or off-days to be spent in NYC. The once-a-week long commute beats the daily one.

Try to hook up with someone living in the City.

Old 11-14-2011, 05:35 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,820,970 times
These people are screwing with you. You'll do fine on your income if you WANT to move to Washington Heights. Be prepared for DRAMATIC change!

I think a better option w/b to move to one of the close to Manhattan suburbs. Some place in Westchester or Bergen county perhaps. 30 minutes outside the city will make the most of your salary and be the easiest commute. Also, Manhattan is just 30 minutes or less away by car, commuter train, bus or taxi.

Old 11-14-2011, 05:38 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,923,935 times
I agree. I would kill for a 5 min work distance and 70K.

Have you tried Meetup or Match.com??

What about New Paltz? Have you tried the nightlife over there??

Old 11-14-2011, 06:39 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,430,151 times
Don't forget city resident income tax in factoring your decision. Lower Westchester would avoid that tax, and it can be as convenient as parts of Upper Manhattan, via MNRR. Westchester also removes much of the parking hassle you the city as well. If you do want the city, consider Riverdale as it is easier you park, closer to major transportation routes, and will afford a better apartment on $70k.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City