Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 02:17 AM

133 posts, read 236,561 times

Advertisements

Hey there. Before I jump into this I'm going to give you guys some background information. I'd prefer it if you could hold back on any the smart ass remarks, I'm in a serious situation.

I am working part time as a dietary aide in Jersey City, I've been stuck there ever since I graduated HS (Graduated in 2010, I'm 19). I make more than minimum wage, but the job doesn't offer any full time positions. I tried going to school to be a practical nurse, but my home life has been rough, and I haven't been doing well in school at all- I lack the money and support. I basically lost all interest in nursing all together and starting feeling depressed about all sorts of things (I was kind of pushed into doing it by my mother anyway).. My real passion is photography, but I now that's not a promising career goal. I've booked modeling jobs in the city a few times (nothing major, and it probably won't happen again)... I feel like I'm stuck, broke, and now I'm my mom is putting me out of the house.
Since I've basically dropped out of school, on days I'm supposed to have class, I take the Path into the city and endlessly explore it as much as I can. I'm kind of a loner in a sense.. But I just love NYC.

I moved 11 times between NJ and FL and back to NJ before the age of 18. I never really had the chance to gain long lasting relationships with anybody, I'm pretty reserved. I'm also gay if that matters, fresh out of the closet. No car either and i don't really want one anytime soon.

Anyway, before I start rambling anymore... Is it possible to rent a 1 bedroom anywhere decent in NYC for $900/mo max? That's assuming I land a full time job that pays (hourly) just as much or more than what I make now. Your idea of "dangerous" may be diff from mine, I've lived in Paterson, Atlantic City, and Fort Myers (FM has some country hoods, let me tell you), but obviously i don't want to be in the middle of Brownville (I'm white btw).. My brother will be renting with for a while until I can get a proper roomie (he's moving to FL in the next 6 months or so)
There's studios in Newark that go for 700-800.... but .... I want to live in NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 04:53 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
It is possible to rent a studio apt. in a decent area for approx. $1000 a month.

Old 11-20-2011, 06:57 AM

1,409 posts, read 5,250,356 times
Move into a roommate situation with someone who is already established - preferably in a rent-stabilized place. One of your biggest obstacles will be getting together first/last/security. Also, moving into someone else's place gives you more flexibility. You need to keep your costs low so you can work fewer hours and get more education.

Sorry to be all mom on you, but I want you to make it in NYC.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:59 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpsonDowns View Post
Move into a roommate situation with someone who is already established - preferably in a rent-stabilized place. One of your biggest obstacles will be getting together first/last/security. Also, moving into someone else's place gives you more flexibility. You need to keep your costs low so you can work fewer hours and get more education.

Sorry to be all mom on you, but I want you to make it in NYC.
This would be the right way to start. Your young, So use the energy to really build a future, A foundation. Go to college. I was on my own about this age, not by choice. Worked 2 jobs, And never went the full 4 years. Always thought I should have gone back when i got more stable. Took a long time before i got a job that I enjoy that pays reasonably well.

Stay fit, Too.You need to physically well and have abundant energy. I did not start this till much later in life-Wish i did. Don't get carried away with vices...The years roll by fast, And the days faster. Do have fun and give yourself a break from time to time but stay focused.

Youth is the best time to spread the wings and find your path.

Old 11-20-2011, 01:59 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
It may be possible to find a 1BR for $900, but first, you shouldn't be moving here without a good chunk of money saved up, and second, if you're expecting to have a 1BR at the age of 19, I think you may have unrealistic expectations of NYC.

Old 11-20-2011, 02:00 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
It may be possible to find a 1BR for $900, but first, you shouldn't be moving here without a good chunk of money saved up, and second, if you're plannng to have a 1BR at the age of 19, I think you may have unrealistic expectations of NYC.

Old 11-20-2011, 09:43 PM

thanks guys!
Well I'll be renting with my brother. He works in Manhattan already but he hasn't left the nest yet (he's been commuting from Bayonne). We won't be moving until Jan/Feb ish. I have some money saved, as does my bro.. We can do $1000/mo but I'd prefer 900.
I don't really feel comfortable moving in with someone I do not know. Is there good ways to go about this? Websites? Newspaper? Can someone explain?
Can anyone suggest me some areas in BX/BK? I know Manhattan well enough. I can do areas like Harlem, Inwood, and Wash Heights. THANKS AGAIN!

Moderator cut: Orphaned comment

Last edited by bmwguydc; 11-22-2011 at 11:57 AM.. Reason: The comment refers to a post that has been deleted.

Old 11-20-2011, 09:58 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,813,926 times
How is Brownsville a different story?

Explain that.
Seriously...what does that even mean?

Last edited by bmwguydc; 11-22-2011 at 11:57 AM.. Reason: Orphaned quote

Old 11-20-2011, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
How is Brownsville a different story?

Explain that.
Seriously...what does that even mean?
The worst neighborhoods in NYC= Brownsville, East NY, South Bronx etc... If you think Harlem is on their level, that's on you.
Now stick to what you said and be done with me. I need positive input.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 11-22-2011 at 11:58 AM.. Reason: Edited quoted text

Old 11-21-2011, 12:18 PM

87 posts, read 236,271 times
Moderator cut: Orphaned comment

why not keep your job in jersey city and commute until you have something locked down in the city?

Last edited by bmwguydc; 11-22-2011 at 12:00 PM.. Reason: Orphaned comment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City