Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 12:09 PM

357 posts, read 727,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
I agree SeventhFloor. After-school gets the rowdy kids, And weekends as well. I worked there for 7 years..Avoid Burger King and McDonalds in there. Used to see lots of fights, Some got pretty bad. Weekday evenings are calm.

Boy, This brings back memories. I worked right during the renovation in 2000. I remember the carousel and video arcade from back in the day as my grandma took me every week, Even before working their as an adult. The mall was always a little rowdy at times. I rarely go now unless to pickup a quick shirt/tie for work. To me, it's like a fun ex-girlfriend that I try to avoid seeing.
It's been awhile for you, I see.
No more Burger King.
No more movie theater.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 12:51 PM

Ideal spot for a date?
A mall? LOL

Never heard of paying to park?
Welcome to New York City.

Queens Center : Visitor Info : Parking
Kings Plaza - General Information

Is it "ghetto"?
I don't know what that means, or what this question implies.
Simplify, please.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:27 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,139,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackconverse View Post
Ideal spot for a date?

Is it "ghetto"?
I don't know what that means, or what this question implies.
Simplify, please.
I guess you've never ridden the subway at 3pm when schools are letting out, and there are crowds of kids cursing, yelling, swinging from the poles, arguing, fighting, hassling each other, sucking their teeth, spitting, shoving, wearing clothes that are three sizes too small or jeans that are eight sizes too big, etc?

Ghetto behavior is color blind. Anyone who behaves with no class can be "ghetto."

Old 11-27-2011, 02:28 PM

I've seen it plenty of times.
I don't call it 'ghetto', nor 'ghetto' behavior.

Old 11-27-2011, 02:39 PM

34,098 posts, read 47,316,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
I agree SeventhFloor. After-school gets the rowdy kids, And weekends as well. I worked there for 7 years..Avoid Burger King and McDonalds in there. Used to see lots of fights, Some got pretty bad. Weekday evenings are calm.

Boy, This brings back memories. I worked right during the renovation in 2000. I remember the carousel and video arcade from back in the day as my grandma took me every week, Even before working their as an adult. The mall was always a little rowdy at times. I rarely go now unless to pickup a quick shirt/tie for work. To me, it's like a fun ex-girlfriend that I try to avoid seeing.
I'm an old man I remember when they had a small model of Brooklyn on the 1st floor in a glass box. Mini replica of the Brooklyn Bridge n all that.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-27-2011, 02:47 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,139,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackconverse View Post
I've seen it plenty of times.
I don't call it 'ghetto', nor 'ghetto' behavior.
Others do.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:09 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,919,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsx21 View Post
Would it be an ideal spot for a date?

I have never been to NYC/Brooklyn and my boyfriend wants to take me there on a date and to hang out.

I have been reading online some people say it's bad others says it's decent and others claim it's a great mall to shop at. Is the surrounding area ghetto?

Is Queens Center Mall any better?
Thanks for any suggestions.
The surrounding area around Kings Plaza [Mill Basin, Marine Park etc.] is very nice, and the mall itself surprising isn't too bad. But I wouldn't recommend going there for a date, ditto with Queens Center.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:49 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,141,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
The surrounding area around Kings Plaza [Mill Basin, Marine Park etc.] is very nice, and the mall itself surprising isn't too bad. But I wouldn't recommend going there for a date, ditto with Queens Center.
These areas are great. Also further up is Bergen beach..A place that feels small town and tucked away. I would move here or Mill Basin in a heartbeat, But the transportation to midtown might be cumbersome....

Old 11-30-2011, 11:16 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,815,585 times
The OP is a troll.

How the heck is he going on a date at Kings Plaza from Atlanta....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
Most people I know think it's very ghetto. That's why a lot of people from Brooklyn come to the SI Mall. I have only been there once, and don't really remember it being that bad but that was a long time ago.
People?

What "people" do you know? How narrow is your world?

You mean a lot of prejudiced white ethnics!

Why can't 'people' be straight?

Kings Plaza, oh yeah, shootings, rapes, muggings, smash and grabs, cars broken into, cars stolen, drugs sold, snorted shot, snd smoked, in every stairwell. It is not a mall its Hell in a controlled environment.

Ridiculous!

The only difference between KP back in the day and now is two things, yesterday the majority was white, today the majority is black. The racial makeup reflecting racial change in all of Flatbush and the surronding area. The economic makeup however remains the same, mostly lower and middle class blacks and whites. The overwhelming majority of whom are home owners and arrive at the mall by car.

Not a lot of so-thought 'ghetto dwellers' frequent the mall for a number of reasons: too far from so-callled 'ghettoe' neighborhoods; while KP is not upscale, their are few 'discount' stores, the shopping districts of downtown Brooklyn, Pitkin, Fulton and Flatbush are closer and more tradational shooping places; no subway, though there is bus service.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:17 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,013,265 times
YES, but King's Plaza itself is ghetto, the surrounding nieghborhood is descent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City