Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 03:34 PM

221 posts, read 525,496 times

Advertisements

I live in a co-op. The owner got a huge offer for someone to buy it.
He is offering me $5,000 to move out by Friday plus will give me the rent of December bac in full and pay all moving expenses.

I really like the place, but I can line something up for January 01 and live in a nice hotel until then. Plus, good xmas gifts for family.
So . would you do it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 03:37 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,722,498 times
It depends on how difficult it would be to find a replacement apartment of equal value (space, location, rent) and how long your existing lease is.

Old 12-06-2011, 03:38 PM

i lived in the place for only 3 weeks, LOL.

Old 12-06-2011, 03:38 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,238,729 times
I would because you will have to move out eventually when your lease is up if the owner is looking to sell. So why not just move early and make some $$$. It's NYC, you probably could have a new apartment by Friday if you really wanted to.

Old 12-06-2011, 03:40 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,792,973 times
Sounds like a good deal. It seems like the landlord is desperate for you to accept his offer. If 5K was his first offer I'll bet you could barter for more.

Old 12-06-2011, 03:52 PM

I might just rent a cheap studio and wait until there is more on the market. The landlord told ne hes broke just now and needs to sell. Time to get out.

Old 12-06-2011, 04:47 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
Living there for only three weeks, I would take the deal, for certain. You are right about getting out if you have a distressed landlord, since you would not want any proceedings by the board against the unit, or a foreclosure if there is an outstanding mortgage.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 12-06-2011, 05:17 PM

Yea, I think I am going to take the offer. The guy is in vet school not even in NYC, so its impossible to speak to him. I spoke to the co-op board and he does have some maintence fees past due. It is best just to leave and take the $.

I found a small place for almost have the price. Available as a month to month. I might just do that, put the big stuff in storage, and wait to find a real nice place in April.

Old 12-06-2011, 05:22 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,238,729 times
Just make sure you get a certified check before you move out.

Old 12-06-2011, 05:57 PM

I asked for cash. I also asked for the guy to spend the $ to pay for my moving expenses. This is the letter I emailed him:

Hello,

Thank you for this offer. Times are rough for many others, but I don't share an ounce of sympathy towards your plight. We entered into a contract, went through board approval (which was costly), and I moved into your unit ready to start my new life in NYC. You should have been more prudent and thought things through. If you know you can't afford a mortgage payment, don't look to find a tenant. Similarly, if you can't afford paying the monthly co-op dues, $1,500, look to sell immediately. Finding a tenant is not an ends to a mean, it only further compounds the problem.

With that being said, just because a person made an offer on this unit (a person who works for the same company in which I am employed), don't ASSUME you will reach closing. if things fall through, don't call me to rerent. The damage is done and landlord - tenant trust, something I value, is gone. The co-op contract states (although I doubt you read it) that any tenants that move in after I vacate must first contact me first before going through board approval. Don't expect me to sweep these issues under the rug. I am a real person, upfront in all aspects of my life.

It may sound harsh, but be responsible. You are a homeowner (co-op owner), a place many would like to be. Act like one. Don't have someone move in and then ask to move out. It's almost as if you acted very impulsively, which is irritating and frustrating As you know, I moved furniture into this apartment. Expensive furniture nevertheless. If I move out, I need to store the furniture until I find a big residence. While I am accepting your offer of $5,000 (I won't pursue legal action once I receive the moneys), I am asking you to cover any and all moving expenses. I will provide all receipts for your convenience. I estimate these fees to total around $1,000, plus storage expenses until I am able to find a suitable residence.

Until them, I am going to move into a small studio on the 15 of December. The studio may be cheap, but I also work and think things through. I don't enter contracts that I can't expect to fulfill. I wish you the best of luck, good luck in school, and we will be in touch on Friday.

Beijos,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City