Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 03:29 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Your post makes no sense. iPad 2 will not become magically obsolete just because the 3 is out. It's still a solid tablet. 3 will just have more/better features. Such is the progress of technology.

And where'd you get 9 months from? They historically release a new iPad early in March every year.

Just like the Windows Phone? LOL

If you want to bash Apple, at least back a decent OS: Android.

Haters gonna hate.
Lol at windows phone, are you smoking? Windows mango update blows away ios5 offering and has equal footing with androids icecream sandwich. The iphone is only popular due to the device being a cultural pop Icon. Also the iphone and other apple devices are simple and easy to use any from a baby to an old person who is about to die can use ios. Ios sucks the os looks the same after 5 years. Android and windows phone both look futuristic and bleeds technology. Why would I want a phone that is only used by old people, Asian Americans, soccer moms, homosexuals, hipsters, thugs, and icult. I have nothing against these people but ios feels old. Also with iphone and others apple devices a User has a great chance of becoming a victim of robbery or burglary due to apples highs resale of its devicezls
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2011, 08:53 PM

877 posts, read 2,013,238 times
Tacky. I honestly think of Grand Central as one of the very few landmarks from way back. Obviously since they started turning the whole place with non-essential shops, it just ruins the whole atmosphere.

Old 12-12-2011, 02:38 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,292,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOReverxpeace View Post
Tacky. I honestly think of Grand Central as one of the very few landmarks from way back. Obviously since they started turning the whole place with non-essential shops, it just ruins the whole atmosphere.
It's basically turning into Penn Station.

Old 12-12-2011, 07:36 PM

3,454 posts, read 3,378,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latikeriii View Post
Off topic but my grandmother lived about 2 blocks from that station and it's always been a load of s**t. Still can't believe they haven't modernized it along with the gentrifrication over there.
Amen, latiker!

Old 12-12-2011, 09:21 PM

21,758 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American_Psycho View Post
Ipad 2 will be obsolete when 3 comes out. Go buy and Ipad 1 at the Apple website. Call me old school but i want a device that can last more than a year. Apple and other companies are doing this yearly same device with a new chips inside, new os, etc. With all the Apple stores, they should have a phone upgrade where they open your phone and put the new parts inside. Apple releases new of the same every year.

Look at gaming systems. Playstation 1 1994, P2 2000, P3 2006, P3 Redesigned 2009. 6 Years.
You can't compare gaming systems with tablets. The hardware jumps are much, much bigger and, aside from very limited backwards compatibility, the software is proprietary to the hardware version. Dell makes new laptops every 6 months. Does that make the 6 month old one obsolete? It's only obsolete when it can't run new software. The iPad 1 will still run 99% of what the iPad 2 will run. There's absolutely no reason to think iPad 2 will be obsolete. Only in your own head.

Apple's not the only tablet company to release a new tablet every year. Motorola, Samsung, etc. do it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Lol at windows phone, are you smoking? Windows mango update blows away ios5 offering and has equal footing with androids icecream sandwich. The iphone is only popular due to the device being a cultural pop Icon. Also the iphone and other apple devices are simple and easy to use any from a baby to an old person who is about to die can use ios. Ios sucks the os looks the same after 5 years. Android and windows phone both look futuristic and bleeds technology. Why would I want a phone that is only used by old people, Asian Americans, soccer moms, homosexuals, hipsters, thugs, and icult. I have nothing against these people but ios feels old. Also with iphone and others apple devices a User has a great chance of becoming a victim of robbery or burglary due to apples highs resale of its devicezls
Real intelligent post there, buddy.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:09 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
We have a technology forum for discussions of various devices sold by Apple, and other competing manufacturers. This thread refers to a specific Apple Store in Manhattan. Please confine discussions to the impact of the new store in Grand Central, not on the products sold, and whether or not one likes them. Thank you.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 12-13-2011, 03:37 AM

1,494 posts, read 2,722,498 times
Ah good, another store. Maybe my annoying co-workers can go there for customer instead of bugging me when their computer illiteracy causes incidental problems:

them: "WAAAHH! My ipad won't check my email.." *pouts* *stomps foot* *shoves ipad under my nose* "Fix it!!!"

me: "Looks like you haven't configured your email server settings. Do you know if your email server uses SMTP or POP3 protocol?"

them: *vacant stare* "What does POP3 mean? Is it like, a soda?"

So I will cross my fingers and hope the new store opening will lessen scenarios like that.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:22 PM

9,763 posts, read 7,475,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K 22 View Post
It's basically turning into Penn Station.

Minus it being open all night.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:43 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,297,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOReverxpeace View Post
The atmosphere of what? A waiting room? What's the problem with having a mixed use building? It creates a diversity of users and revenue sources and makes the entire complex more viable. They've restored one of the architectural treasures of the city and made it more vibrant than ever.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:04 AM

140 posts, read 269,090 times
Why all the resentment towards Apple and Apple users? You do realize that if it wasn't for Apple, OSs such as Windows and Android would not event exist or would be significantly worse than they are now, right? Even something like Windows Phone Mango, which looks and works very differently than iOS, would not exist.

About the Apple Store, the ones on Fifth Avenue and the UWS have been great additions to those areas and I expect the new one to do the same for GCT. I'm not enamored of huge corporations wanting to sell you stuff you don't really need - and Apple, like all its competitors, are admittedly just that - but there's no denying that the Apple Store concept is pure genius. Where else can you go to get your computer fixed and catch a jazz concert simultaneously? Yes, you guessed correctly. You can do that at some Apple Stores. I've been to a couple of jazz concerts at the UWS one. How can you not love a concept like that, even if you loathe consumerism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City