Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 04:30 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,051,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rose View Post
Pittsburgh is slightly colder than Boston, despite being located south of New York City, due to distance from the ocean and elevation. If it were at the same latitude, but closer to sea level and the ocean, it could possibly be classified as subtropical, although still not really.
Philly is humid subtropical. So is the Jersey shore.

Interestingly so is Cincinnati.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 05:13 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,945,953 times
Answer to this query is plainly seen and felt over this summer.

We may hot have had days of record setting heat; but NYC, Jersey Shore and other coastal areas of the region have had days upon days of humid/damp weather. The gulf stream may not be bringing much in the way of rain, but it sure is propelling damp our way.

Old 10-29-2017, 09:50 AM

1 posts, read 1,517 times
Default New York City considered subtropical?

I am in fact very pleased and happy that New York City is classified as a humid subtropical climate. This means that we have got milder/comfortable winters. Tourists can enjoy the city more and don't have to worry about snow and cold during the holiday seasons.

Old 10-29-2017, 11:12 AM

31,897 posts, read 26,945,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish_patnaik01 View Post
I am in fact very pleased and happy that New York City is classified as a humid subtropical climate. This means that we have got milder/comfortable winters. Tourists can enjoy the city more and don't have to worry about snow and cold during the holiday seasons.

That is a recent occurrence, and may be due to climate change or whatever.

Grew up in NYC and am here to tell you it once was downright chilly in October and certainly cold by November. Know this because had to walk to school on those cold mornings. It surely was not 65F or 70F on Thanksgiving or Christmas like we've been having the past few years.

Old 10-29-2017, 12:20 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,038,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
That is a recent occurrence, and may be due to climate change or whatever.

Grew up in NYC and am here to tell you it once was downright chilly in October and certainly cold by November. Know this because had to walk to school on those cold mornings. It surely was not 65F or 70F on Thanksgiving or Christmas like we've been having the past few years.
I agree. I remember as a child in many of my October. Leaves would start falling. By the end of October leaves would be mostly down. Now October is almost over and November is a few days away, leaves are still green on still on the tree. This is not good, and I find it scary. I remember in October I used to wear a jacket and it would be cold. During this whole month the landlord did not put on the heat at all. Past few Octobers it has been seasonably warm.

Old 10-29-2017, 01:59 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,473,423 times
with the amount of mosquitoes we should be going toward subtropical.

Old 10-30-2017, 11:04 AM

977 posts, read 567,083 times
NYC falls into the Koppen classification Cfa. This is objective fact based on objective measures of average monthly temperatures and rainfall patterns. This is referred to in some places as "subtropical". Whether you want to call it subtropical or not is up for debate. What is not up for debate is the objective classification of NYC's climate under the Koppen scheme. It has no months where the monthly average temperature is below 0C, so it is Cfa, which is the same climate classification as many cities further south (Richmond, Atlanta, Savannah, Charlotte, etc.)

Old 10-31-2017, 10:00 AM

782 posts, read 858,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I agree. I remember as a child in many of my October. Leaves would start falling. By the end of October leaves would be mostly down. Now October is almost over and November is a few days away, leaves are still green on still on the tree. This is not good, and I find it scary. I remember in October I used to wear a jacket and it would be cold. During this whole month the landlord did not put on the heat at all. Past few Octobers it has been seasonably warm.

A normal (based on average temps) October starts off with days near 70 and drops down to days just under 60 by end of the month. October is not supposed to be cold here, its normally pretty mild. Also...leaves normally start turning yellow late October but don't actually fall until November. Yourmemory of Octobers of your childhood is seriously skewed.

Old 11-01-2017, 04:29 PM

86 posts, read 104,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stremba View Post
NYC falls into the Koppen classification Cfa. This is objective fact based on objective measures of average monthly temperatures and rainfall patterns. This is referred to in some places as "subtropical". Whether you want to call it subtropical or not is up for debate. What is not up for debate is the objective classification of NYC's climate under the Koppen scheme. It has no months where the monthly average temperature is below 0C, so it is Cfa, which is the same climate classification as many cities further south (Richmond, Atlanta, Savannah, Charlotte, etc.)
Good Point. However it should be noted that during NYC's coldest month of the year, January to be exact, the monthly average is around 32.6 F (or 0.3 C). So objectively, yes NYC is technically humid subtropical.

However, there are a few major indications that are keen when analyzing this.

First, its the mere fact that NYC is relatively close to the Atlantic Ocean, which thus helps moderate temperatures.

Second, the urban heat phenomenon that is prevalent in the city due to an immense population density.

Finally, is the city's lower altitude (borderline on sea level), being relatively far from the inland and much higher altitudes of the Appalachian Mountains.

When you take all of these factors into consideration, the mere fact that NYC winters (typically) still could maintain monthly averages within the early-mid 30's is actually pretty remarkable.

On top of that, for argument's sake, when you compare NYC to your typical Humid Continental American City (so lets use Chicago in IL as an example, which is about 789 Miles away from NYC) and your typical Humid Subtropical American City (Lets go with Raleigh in NC, which is about 503 Miles away from NYC) the monthly average of NYC is slightly more comparable to Chicago (which is 24.8 F) than it is to Raleigh (41 F). This is also not taking into account the fact that both NYC & Chicago typically see yearly snowfall amounts in the double digits (26 inches for NY, 37 for Chic, only 6 for Ral), with this of course varying from year to year. Funny enough, NYC had more snowfall last season, aka 2016-17', then Chicago did with NYC having 30.2 inches and Chicago 18.3 inches. Also NYC & Chic typically see temps dip into teens or 20's, this not so much the case for Ral.

For more info you could read these:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_City#Climate

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago#Climate

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raleig...rolina#Climate

https://www.weather.gov/media/okx/Cl...alsnowfall.pdf

https://www.weather.gov/media/okx/Cl...alsnowfall.pdf

So a better question I would ask is, should there be further objective divisions among various Koppen Climate definitions? NYC is objectively Humid Subtropical due to even during the coldest month of the year the average monthly temp is higher than 32 F, I am not objecting to that. But even then it is only merely above the the 32 F mark by only about .6 points. Is it more suitable to distinguish within various Koppen definitions (I.e maybe put NYC, DC, Philly in a distinguishable climate definition within the Cfa zone from say Houston, New Orleans, or Dallas)? Perhaps that would probably sufficiently solve this issue. But I'm no expert on this topic, just a random New Jerseyan with basic climatology knowledge throwing my two cents in .

Old 11-01-2017, 04:56 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,038,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funcrusher3000 View Post
A normal (based on average temps) October starts off with days near 70 and drops down to days just under 60 by end of the month. October is not supposed to be cold here, its normally pretty mild. Also...leaves normally start turning yellow late October but don't actually fall until November. Yourmemory of Octobers of your childhood is seriously skewed.
It got skewed because I smelled your explosive methane infused fart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City