Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 02:16 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Go with DUMBO...and a good pair of walking shoes.
(I'm going to St. Anne's Warehouse tonight.)

cool, let me know how it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 03:41 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhipster916 View Post
Im thinking about moving to New York City and there are a few neighborhoods on my radar that Im not sure are that safe so I thought Id come here and ask.

1. Fort Greene
2. Prospect Heights
3. Morningside Heights
4. DUMBO/Downtown Brooklyn
5. Bed-Stuy
6. Bushwick

Bushwick is the spottiest IMO but its the one getting most hyped as the next big thing...

Old 01-04-2012, 04:30 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,328,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Bushwick is the spottiest IMO but its the one getting most hyped as the next big thing...
My "issue" with Bushwick is that the housing stock isn't that attractive. That doesn't stop the hype (or hipsters) though...

Old 01-04-2012, 04:41 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,229,550 times
Quote:
along with those how about long island city?

I work in LIC and it's really not a bad area. There isn't much by the bridge but down by Vernon and the water it's really nice. Lots of restaurants and a few bars. There is no shopping at all though. The prices have considerably gone up because of all the luxury high-rises and you're just 1 stop from Manhattan.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:22 PM

242 posts, read 1,184,333 times
Fort Greene is a mini park slope nowadays. All young yuppie families and absurdly high rent. Never felt unsafe anywhere including by the projects- with all those new high rise residential buildings popping up by them the area is really rapidly changing.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:13 PM

25 posts, read 93,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Question: do you have a specific price range? DUMBO is going to be on the more expensive side (for this list). Also, if you are indeed a "black hipster" are you looking for an area that has a heavy black hipster element? I'd say that prize goes to Fort Greene. Natural hair and black rimmed glasses galore.
thats exactly what im looking for, but i hear the resturant scene in Fort Greene isnt as hot as other places in BK so my top 3 choices now are
1.Fort Greene
2.Dumbo
3.Caroll gardens

my only concern about caroll gardens is its diversity is it a mostly white neighborhood?

Old 01-04-2012, 11:40 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,125,537 times
Quote:
thats exactly what im looking for, but i hear the resturant scene in Fort Greene isnt as hot as other places in BK so my top 3 choices now are
1.Fort Greene
2.Dumbo
3.Caroll gardens

my only concern about caroll gardens is its diversity is it a mostly white neighborhood?
It's mostly White, with a few Hispanics here and there. (say, around 80% White, 15% Hispanic, 5% Black/Asian)

Old 01-05-2012, 06:24 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
cool, let me know how it is.

I thought it SUCKED, (Daniel Kitson): tedious and long winded one man show about two boring people.
And we FROZE waiting 1/2 hour for the #25 Bus coming home. That wind off the river is brutal when temps are in the teens.
AND the theater had it's heat turned off so the audience sat in parkas.
In the words of Ebenezer Scrooge: BAH, HUMBUG!

Old 01-05-2012, 07:54 AM

510 posts, read 2,243,421 times
Quote:
1.Fort Greene
2.Dumbo
3.Caroll gardens

I'd recommend Fort Greene based on your description and the restaurant scene is very good by Brooklyn standards. Plenty of choices along Lafayette/DeKalb/Fulton. The barbecue spot by the small triangle on Lafayette and Fulton is fantastic, 67 burger has excellent burgers, Mullanes is an unpretentious pub type of place with a diverse clientele, Shebeen Madiba (sp?) on DeKalb is an excellent South African restruant. There's a number of other random bistros and mid to up scale sit down restaurants throughout the neighborhood. There's a highbrow butcher/boutique type grocer on (I think) S. Portland and Fulton. On Myrtle there's some great delis (Farmer in the Deli makes the best, inexpensive subs in the city IMO), a soul food restaurant, bars that are catering to the young and hip from Pratt. The Alibi on DeKalb is one of my favorite dive bars in the city. I could go on and on.

I've lived in Fort Greene previously and if you can afford it I would whole-heartedly recommend it to anyone. Very, very nice neighborhood and getting better every year. If you can live walking distance to the Atlantic Ave. transit hub you have some of the best transit options in the city.

Go for it!

Old 01-05-2012, 09:25 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,328,482 times
Quote:
1.Fort Greene
2.Dumbo
3.Caroll gardens

I consider Carroll Gardens and DUMBO "white" and Fort Greene "diverse". No statistical or census data to back that up, just IMO. Also, Fort Greene does have a fair amount of restaurants. I mean, it's not to the density of someplace like Williamsburg but still decent. During the summer, lots of people out and about sidewalk dinning, concerts and events in the park, all around good vibes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City