Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2012, 12:25 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,567,299 times

Advertisements

"There are millions of us watching and taking notes."
Some of you even write rambling manifestos.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,041 times
I’ve read through most of the posts here…uggh. I am an ex New Yorker, college educated, worked hard to become an upper middle class white collar worker & NRA member : ) ( I say all this before those who are so fast to reply with a personal attack call me a “redneck”) Wow, there’s a lot of hatred on both sides here. NYC has a lot of good and bad to offer, but those in NYC who think the rest of the country is Fly over land is sorely mistaken.

To all the posts about how Gun’s don’t kill people, people kill people…I’d like to change that to “ Gun’s don’t kill people, lack of parenting kills people” The issue is not responsible people who want to exercise their right to own & enjoy guns. The issue is “ parents” who conceive a child, and then don’t actually parent and teach that child how to be a productive & responsible member of society.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:48 PM

1,068 posts, read 2,022,854 times
I don't believe in the right to bear arms but I do believe in common sense. This man clearly read some misleading information, was carrying $15,000 of jewellery and clearly believed that he had the right to carry a gun in New York otherwise he certainly wouldn't have asked a security guard where to hand his gun in.

Yes he was stupid but stupidity alone shouldn't equate to a harsh prison sentence, loss of liberty and a prison sentence that could ruin a man's life. Whatever you think of this man's behaviour he certainly deserves more leniency than a minimum two-three and half year sentence.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:49 PM

125 posts, read 239,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
...since the majority of NYCers actaully want gun control...
Do they?

I think there's another factor at work here.

New York City has largely turned into a welfare state. Every serious observer knows it.

When people become conditioned to looking to government to take care of them, they lose any spark of independence they might have had. They then will more easily accept loss of freedom in exchange for welfare checks.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:54 PM
bg7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergus75 View Post
Do they?

I think there's another factor at work here.

New York City has largely turned into a welfare state. Every serious observer knows it.

When people become conditioned to looking to government to take care of them, they lose any spark of independence they might have had. They then will more easily accept loss of freedom in exchange for welfare checks.

The gun users in NYC tend to be those on welfare. They are also tend to be the ones who covet guns. Along with pit-bulls and go-faster stripes on their cars.

I suppose you being a serious observer also know that NYC contributes more in federal income taxes than it gets back right?

Old 01-09-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
I suppose you being a serious observer also know that NYC contributes more in federal income taxes than it gets back right?
Ahh, but that's not the masses who do that (if true).

It's those evil rich people, the ones carrying the load for the welfare types who have the votes, expect their checks, and surrender their freedoms.

Add to that those who don't believe in individual liberty anyway, and...we have New York City.

Old 01-09-2012, 01:05 PM
bg7

I'd love to debate more but I gotta clean my sights and go stake out my car in case someone tries to steal it.

Old 01-09-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
I'd love to debate more but I gotta clean my sights and go stake out my car in case someone tries to steal it.
You bet.

If you need more instruction regarding the Constitution and individual liberty, I encourage you to listen to conservative talk radio.

You'll find that nationally, conservative talk radio dominates. Liberal talk radio has never done well, mainly because liberalism doesn't hold up well under discussion and scrutiny.

Old 01-09-2012, 01:26 PM

1,068 posts, read 2,022,854 times
Quote:
[mistergus75] Ahh, but that's not the masses who do that (if true).

It's those evil rich people, the ones carrying the load for the welfare types who have the votes, expect their checks, and surrender their freedoms.

Yes but it was the 'evil rich people' as you put it, who are the biggest welfare scroungers of the lot. The financial sector would have been eradicated if it had not been propped up by taxpayer's money and the federal Government that many Americans so clearly (and bizarrely) despise.

The lopsided wage growth in the upper echelons of the financial sector doesn't come without a cost either. It is subsidised by the working man and a stagnation in wage growth which has seen the middle-class in America diminish over the past decade. That's why the financial sector funds politics in America and controls the media establishment. To convince you all that it's the homeless and the welfare claimants that have taken your country to the cleaners. Yet there are far more generous benefit systems throughout the western world who have far healthier employment figures than America.

But as long as you've got your pitchfork and sawn off shotgun I'm sure you'll be able to keep the snarling wolves at bay. Good luck.

Old 01-09-2012, 01:33 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,871,444 times
[quote=urbanlife78;
". . .

Also, in NYC you can still have a gun, no one is taking away that right, there is just more checks with how one obtains a gun, but if you want one there, you can still have one.[/quote]

FYI UrbanLife and others that do not understand:
The Second Amendment says the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. Would you consider it an infringement on your right to free speech if you had to send in an application to make a speech and wait for several weeks/months for a public official to issue OR deny that permit?

It is an infringement to have to ASK for permission to exercise a right. WE THE PEOPLE DO NOT need to ask for permission to keep and bear arms according to the Constitution. Any law or ordinance forcing WE THE PEOPLE to ask permission to exercise a Constitutional right is committing treason.
\
GL2

GL2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City