Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 04:16 PM

17 posts, read 28,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Twoand a Half Men country is California I believe, I live in Nebraska. As for the Luvver part of my Gunluvver2 handle originally it was Gunlover but when i changed my ISP I couldn't reuse it.

Most of my ancestors came across on the Mayflower (Standish) and the other side of the family settled in the Carolinas before the revolutionary war. However like the ancestors that had the good sense to leave Europe a few centuries ago the later ancestors had the good sense to go West during the 1800's.

I am sure most of the Founding Fathers read Voltaire and Franklin, Adams and Jefferson may have met him while they visited in Europe. They all were familir with the writings of Locke. However in 1776 I doubt if any of them knew of Kant.

It is too bad you have such contempt for NASCAR. It is a great sport. I suppose I should apologize for my I.Q of 76 comment. I may have been off a point or two. However I was probably close because anyone with a brain has to appreciate NASCAR.

GL2

And yes, some of my ancestors were New England Quakers - not the Mayflower, since they settled New Hampshire and not Massachusetts. But really, all meanness aside, it's a large country. Just because the people in one region behave differently or believe (or aren't perceived as having the same beliefs) as another - it doesn't make them bad or wrong - just different. It's one of the reasons we have statehood in the first place, probably. And, for the OP to get their panties in such a bunch over New York's gun laws just seems ridiculous to me. It has no effect on his gun ownership in Texas. I don't see why the Founders would not have known about Kant - he was an eighteenth century (1724 – 1804) Enlightenment philosopher. Considering that both Franklin and Jefferson lived in Europe for a decade or more, I'm almost certain they knew about him. The quip about NASCAR - it's a joke, son. It's not that popular in the Northeast, but I don't think it's from looking down our noses at the rest of the country. It's very densely populated and driving is not something one does for enjoyment here. I think the last thing someone here wants to do when they don't have to drive somewhere is to have to think about driving at all - even watching other people do it. Also NFL football, Baseball, Hockey and Basketball are very big here and there's only so much time someone can devote to watching sports.

Old 01-13-2012, 04:49 PM

126 posts, read 78,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergus75 View Post
I don't understand why you people in New York have laid down like sheep and won't fight for your rights.

Your state has some of the most anti-American, unConstitutional gun control laws imaginable, and you're content to live with them.

You people ever heard of the 2nd Amendment? Why do you elect legislators who impose these kind of laws?

Here's a link to a story that ought to make every New Yorker ashamed.

Marine | New York Gun Law | Prison Sentence | The Daily Caller

If you people in "The Empire State" had enough courage to fight for your God-given rights, this kind of nonsense wouldn't happen.

What's wrong with you people in New York?

You're a bunch of sheep...

mistergus75
Houston, TX
The moron drones here are so brainwashed by the NYT and other pieces of trash that an original thought cannot enter their brain unless it is surgically implanted.

Try explaining facts about guns to a NYer, they just start squiriming as if you are twisting the head wiring on a Borg drone, it is just not comprehensible to them that guns are good and SAVE lives.

But that notion has been crushed by many big city mayors who, under the thumb of the police unions in their cities, do not want the police to have to worry about having complete and total control over the populace.

Old 01-13-2012, 05:51 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiellgood View Post
The moron drones here are so brainwashed by the NYT and other pieces of trash that an original thought cannot enter their brain unless it is surgically implanted.

Try explaining facts about guns to a NYer, they just start squiriming as if you are twisting the head wiring on a Borg drone, it is just not comprehensible to them that guns are good and SAVE lives.

But that notion has been crushed by many big city mayors who, under the thumb of the police unions in their cities, do not want the police to have to worry about having complete and total control over the populace.
Did Fox News tell you to say that? Cause their viewers tend to be the most uninformed.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:12 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,610,917 times
I think you're giving him too much credit by implying that he watches Fox News. That little rant reads as though he came up with it all by himself. His attempt to try and stir up New Yorkers died before he even got through with his commentary.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:22 PM

19,054 posts, read 13,973,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiellgood View Post
I try not to speak with broad strokes like this because it ALWAYS means there's someone out there that can make you look like a jackass.

I own 14-15 guns (off hand, not really sure), have fired more foreign weapons than most Americans (not NY'ers, Americans) will ever fire domestic weapons, never leave my house without a firearm, and can guarantee that I've been involved in more firearm-related incidents (a nice way of saying gunfights), than you have.

Texas doesn't have an exclusive stranglehold on anything other than sending crappy presidents to the White House.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:08 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,869,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse615 View Post
And yes, some of my ancestors were New England Quakers - not the Mayflower, since they settled New Hampshire and not Massachusetts. But really, all meanness aside, it's a large country. Just because the people in one region behave differently or believe (or aren't perceived as having the same beliefs) as another - it doesn't make them bad or wrong - just different. It's one of the reasons we have statehood in the first place, probably. And, for the OP to get their panties in such a bunch over New York's gun laws just seems ridiculous to me. It has no effect on his gun ownership in Texas. I don't see why the Founders would not have known about Kant - he was an eighteenth century (1724 – 1804) Enlightenment philosopher. Considering that both Franklin and Jefferson lived in Europe for a decade or more, I'm almost certain they knew about him. The quip about NASCAR - it's a joke, son. It's not that popular in the Northeast, but I don't think it's from looking down our noses at the rest of the country. It's very densely populated and driving is not something one does for enjoyment here. I think the last thing someone here wants to do when they don't have to drive somewhere is to have to think about driving at all - even watching other people do it. Also NFL football, Baseball, Hockey and Basketball are very big here and there's only so much time someone can devote to watching sports.
Considering that Kants major work, the one with Reason in the title, wasn't published until 1780 or so, thus most of the Founding Fathers had not read anything by him until several years after the Declaration Of Independence. Some MAY have spoken with him when they traveled to Europe--- Franklin, Jefferson and Adams MAYBE, but there MAY have been others.

And FYI NASCAR has several races within a few hours of Boston, NYC, Philly and D.C. The Poconos, Martinsville, W.VA, Dover, DE, Watkins Glen and I think they still have one at Laconia but I am not sure. Funny thing. I have been at several events at those tracks and they were usually standing room only. I sure noticed a lot of Brooklyn, Boston and other accents. Not so many Southern accents LOL. Hell I have even attended Rodeo events at Madison Square Gardens. It don't get anymore Redneck than Bull Riding. In fact one of the top PBR riders several years ago was a cowboy from the Bronx. That USED to be in New York City right?

I stand by a statement I made on this forum earlier. . . I have the CONSTITUTIONAL right to keep and bear arms without infringement anywhere I go in the United States. Currently NYC, MA and some other jurisdictions may not recognize that right but they will someday.If ONE right can be infringed ALL of them can be.

GL2

Old 01-13-2012, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Considering that Kants major work, the one with Reason in the title, wasn't published until 1780 or so, thus most of the Founding Fathers had not read anything by him until several years after the Declaration Of Independence. Some MAY have spoken with him when they traveled to Europe--- Franklin, Jefferson and Adams MAYBE, but there MAY have been others.

And FYI NASCAR has several races within a few hours of Boston, NYC, Philly and D.C. The Poconos, Martinsville, W.VA, Dover, DE, Watkins Glen and I think they still have one at Laconia but I am not sure. Funny thing. I have been at several events at those tracks and they were usually standing room only. I sure noticed a lot of Brooklyn, Boston and other accents. Not so many Southern accents LOL. Hell I have even attended Rodeo events at Madison Square Gardens. It don't get anymore Redneck than Bull Riding. In fact one of the top PBR riders several years ago was a cowboy from the Bronx. That USED to be in New York City right?

I stand by a statement I made on this forum earlier. . . I have the CONSTITUTIONAL right to keep and bear arms without infringement anywhere I go in the United States. Currently NYC, MA and some other jurisdictions may not recognize that right but they will someday.If ONE right can be infringed ALL of them can be.

GL2
I hear people say this, then in the same sentence say things like gays can't marry or women shouldn't be allowed to have abortions or any control over their own bodies and so on...so yeah, when the rest of the country respects all rights, then I think we can seriously talk about gun rights.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:33 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,546,413 times
Jesus lovin' gun nuts from Texas crack me up ........ I'm so glad I moved from that "free state" to NY

Old 01-13-2012, 09:53 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,869,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I hear people say this, then in the same sentence say things like gays can't marry or women shouldn't be allowed to have abortions or any control over their own bodies and so on...so yeah, when the rest of the country respects all rights, then I think we can seriously talk about gun rights.
How about the right to be born? It takes two to tango and when a Male/Female have sex there is always a chance of a baby. If you aren't willing to face that responsibility keep your pecker in your pants. The CHOICE that matters was made a few minutes before conception. Abortion is not a legitimate RIGHT; it is using violence against a helpless human being.

As far as Gay marriage; you do what you want to do but don't expect society to give it the stamp of approval.

GL2

Old 01-14-2012, 12:04 AM

Quote:
How about the right to be born? It takes two to tango and when a Male/Female have sex there is always a chance of a baby. If you aren't willing to face that responsibility keep your pecker in your pants. The CHOICE that matters was made a few minutes before conception. Abortion is not a legitimate RIGHT; it is using violence against a helpless human being.

As far as Gay marriage; you do what you want to do but don't expect society to give it the stamp of approval.

GL2
Thank you for answering my point...we will talk about gun rights when you are willing to talk about other rights.

Clearly you have no idea what it is like to have something grow inside you that you have to give birth to, government should not be allowed to tell a woman what she can and cannot do with her body, plan and simple...unless you are trying to tell me "big government" is good. As for right to be born, that is the mother's body's choice to decide that, not society.

So you don't like gay marriage or society doesn't "approve" of it, so whatever deal with it? Right? Well way to go "big government" supporter, you are asking your government to decide who has the right to get married and who doesn't.

Yet you come in here and cry about your gun rights? Yeah, it is time for you to grow up and stop fighting for only the rights that seem attractive to yourself...unless you only care about a "free country" when it is in your own favor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City