Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 01:59 AM

30 posts, read 116,868 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I am another one of those "generic hipster wanna be's" that would LOVE to have the city and all she has to offer. (Well, the jury is still out on the hipster bit, but you know..) ANYWAY.. I am from TN originally, have lived in PA, been to NYC many many times throughout my life, and even spent a summer in Queens when I was 13. Now, I am soon to be 33, and am going to use the next year to plan, save, get school finished, and plot my way... I am single, no kids, and have always been drawn to this magical city. Am I too old? I've always been a bit of a dreamer, so am I aiming too high?

I know I have many other relevant and realistic questions, but I would love to get any thoughts first. I know this is something that 20 year olds do with glee, but I am not keen on living the roach coach roommate bent...

Thanks!

Amanda
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 03:40 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,809,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliasSpiff View Post
...but I am not keen on living the roach coach roommate bent...
This is the only relevant factor regarding age. You could be 70 and move to NYC. Its done all the time.

The first question for you is what lifestyle do you need at age 34 (which is YOUNG).

34 probably only feels older from a TN perspective, where most people marry young, and fall into a sedentary lifestyle. In NYC, widly guessing, more than half the 34 year olds are not married, and aren't even thinking about it. Too much to do!!

The second question is what lifestyle can you afford?

Without more info on your education, bacground and earning potential, it will be difficult to advise realistically.

You are young and unencumbered. Go for it! Yet, pricesly what are your expections of life in NYC?

Old 01-06-2012, 08:09 AM

1,322 posts, read 4,236,259 times
wow, dont call yourself a wannabe!! you are who you are. and besides the point, as far as we all know, we have 1 live to live. sounds like you have every reason to go for it. your single without kids. shouldnt be too hard. youd probably be surprised how many people are single in their 30's in NYC. im 31 and have a pretty stable life in the phila metro area, but plan to move to san diego in a year or so. but im also a homeowner, husband, and soon to father in may....so its alittle more complicated for me. but anyways, its good to hear that there are other people in their 30's that still have dreams. best of luck.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:21 AM

221 posts, read 525,274 times
Sorry ..nyc age limit is 28

Old 01-06-2012, 08:40 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,806,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surftb15 View Post
Sorry ..nyc age limit is 28
LOL...

Old 01-06-2012, 09:32 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,328,482 times
A 30 something single hipster in NYC? You will be one of many...

Old 01-06-2012, 06:33 PM

349 posts, read 781,307 times
I'm surprised the posters have been so gentle. If any place is more accepting of older single people it's NY. If you have nothing tying you down I say go for it. You only live once. Just know that a studio/1 BR in the outer boroughs will cost you around $1500 minimum most likely. Also the job market is very competitive so make sure you have a degree or a skill. Additionly open your search up to Hoboken and Jersey City, NJ. Neither are necessarily cheap but they offer urban living with easy 24/7 access to NYC. Just another area to look in. Good luck to you.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:29 PM

749 posts, read 2,454,248 times
Just try to make at least $80k and you can live in nice 1 BR in NJ, Queens or Brooklyn close to the city, in a safe neighborhood without roommates. You'll be able to live well, travel and save on that salary.

34 isn't old, and especially not in NYC. There are very young at heart, hip, interesting 40 and 50 year olds in NYC. You'll be like a kid to them. The city keeps them young because they're active and always exploring new stuff - restaurants, exhibits, shows, just walking in the park on a nice day. You only start to get old when you give up on life. You can be 60 and still exude youth if you have that thirst for life, which so many New Yorkers have.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:45 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,246,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliasSpiff View Post
Hi All,

I am another one of those "generic hipster wanna be's" that would LOVE to have the city and all she has to offer. (Well, the jury is still out on the hipster bit, but you know..) ANYWAY.. I am from TN originally, have lived in PA, been to NYC many many times throughout my life, and even spent a summer in Queens when I was 13. Now, I am soon to be 33, and am going to use the next year to plan, save, get school finished, and plot my way... I am single, no kids, and have always been drawn to this magical city. Am I too old? I've always been a bit of a dreamer, so am I aiming too high?

I know I have many other relevant and realistic questions, but I would love to get any thoughts first. I know this is something that 20 year olds do with glee, but I am not keen on living the roach coach roommate bent...

Thanks!

Amanda
Knoxville is a beautiful city with the median age of 32.7 so stay where you are.

Old 01-07-2012, 05:38 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:
Am I too old?

Of course not, you are in your PRIME.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City