Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 09:11 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,237,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Holy Philip k Dick and George Orwell. Nypd wants to use a mobile weapon scanner a technology similar to metal detectors and scan predestrians for guns while in the comfort of a squad car or van. Since stop and frisk created a lot legal trouble between the nypd and the frisked males of mostly AA descet, it seems the next stop to catch people with guns is to scan them instead of frisking. This mobile scanned is being developed for the nypd on the behalf of the department of defense. A device like this is going to target mostly poor and black areas of the city where most gun play takes even middle class ones too. Where did you get this from or is this only your opinion? The article makes no mention who or where their target is. Would this scanner violate the protection of ones rights if any? If getting p.o.s. criminals off the streets is a violation of my rights, then let me be the 1st to get scanned. The article says they can scan passerby's on the street. They are not randomly pulling people aside and scanning them. Why are we more worried about personal rights rather than applauding an attempt to get illegal guns and repeated criminals off the street?

New York police getting mobile weapon scanner for street sweeps | DVICE
And this isn't happening for at least another 3 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 09:15 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Unreasonable search. Unconstitutional.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:18 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times
" It is a police state, and anyone who thinks otherwise should come see me."

Right - you lived in Moscow in the 70's or Chile in the 80's right?

You know all about a police state. Give me a break. Why is it that so many native NYers think they can make such statements without the context of ever having actually lived anywhere else.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
We live in such Orwellian dyostopian state here in nyc. Sheesh I don't know these townies enjoy and assume nyc is a utopia with starbucks and apple stores all over the place while our rights are being pushed aside.

I work in a large financial building. Years ago we were under high alert and had military outside the building. Do you know what it's like going to work with a soldier standing outside the door holding a machine gun? We were checked BEFORE we even walked into the building. If you had a laptop, it was getting checked. Then when you got inside the building, handbags, laptop bags, briefcases, etc, had to go through a scanner. You know what? Certain people were complaining about "how ridiculous" it was. Really? Those are the people I'd be very leery of. I bet if something DID happen, they'd be the first to b*tch about it. Making sure I'm safe and more importantly, ALIVE seems pretty important to me.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Punisher View Post
I find this an intrusion & violation of my rights. I don't want some cop scanning me at random for somthing I might be doing. Our civil rights continue to be pushed aside.
How so? Did you read the article? It would pick up shapes so the police can spot armed passerbys.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlushingRepresenter View Post
This is just another gimmick to increase their "lawful" claim to stopping and frisking people.

This mobile weapon scanner will be used by officers who will claim a person is in possession of a weapon and then stop and frisk them and hope to find drugs. Did you read a different article because not one time did I see the word marijuana.

Just a big ploy to "justifiably" keep tabs on people.

Giant blots will be confused as guns/knives/bombs and the person will be frisked and booked for possession of marijuana.

The prison industrial complex is BIG, BIG, BIG business.

Read the article. It picks up shapes like the scanner at the airport.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:36 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times
Is it an intrusion of your rights if the police look at you using his eyes while you are walking down the street?
Looking involves the policeman collecting electromagnetic radiation (ie light) reflected off you using his retinas (his eyes). If you're carrying a gun openly - he can detect it using his eye-system and stop you.

So now he's got an enhanced EM device that can see if you're hiding a gun under your jacket. If you have one, he can detect it and stop you.

Now all hold up the hem of your skirts about 1984, civil rights that have been fought and died for, an violation of the constitutional right to not be looked at etc.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:47 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,137,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
And this isn't happening for at least another 3 years.
It's while away, As the defense dept created this tech. They want to increase it's effectiveness to 75 feet.

My concern is it's error rate. Will my wallet in my side pocket get me stopped? Maybe. Ultimately, if you have done nothing wrong it is off little concern. i can see the other side of the coin with people not liking being scanned against their will. Interestingly enough, I got stopped twice last year when I had never been stopped before. Both cases, They said i "fit a description" The first one I was dressed up to go out, And they asked to see my arms for tattoos. I have none. They said have a good night and left. No I.d. or search. the second, 3 WEEKS later...same thing. Same exact thing. I guess they can do what they want ultimately. i was surprised they did not check for I.D. at least.

I don't know anymore.....

Old 01-18-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
It's while away, As the defense dept created this tech. They want to increase it's effectiveness to 75 feet.

My concern is it's error rate. Will my wallet in my side pocket get me stopped? Is your wallet shaped like a gun? Maybe. Ultimately, if you have done nothing wrong it is off little concern. i can see the other side of the coin with people not liking being scanned against their will. No one is being pulled aside to be scanned. The way I read the article, the police can just scan people as they're passing by. My thing is this-how do you accurately scan 56 people on a crowded sidewalk? There is no way each person can be scanned. It has it's good points but as for accuracy, who knows? Interestingly enough, I got stopped twice last year when I had never been stopped before. Both cases, They said i "fit a description" The first one I was dressed up to go out, And they asked to see my arms for tattoos. I have none. They said have a good night and left. No I.d. or search. the second, 3 WEEKS later...same thing. Umm, maybe you just have one of those faces? LOL Same exact thing. I guess they can do what they want ultimately. i was surprised they did not check for I.D. at least.

I don't know anymore.....
I don't have a problem with it. If it means people's safety then go ahead and violate me

Old 01-18-2012, 01:31 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,137,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
I don't have a problem with it. If it means people's safety then go ahead and violate me
If it is effective in getting guns out of the hands of criminals, Then good. Every day in the paper somewhere there is a report of a shooting.

I don't think i have one of those faces. The opposite actually, I am always approached for directions, Loose change, winning lotto numbers etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City