Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 06:26 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,734 times

Advertisements

To me, in a way, New Yorkers are some of the nicest people I've ever met. Being open and honest is a good thing, something that should be celebrated! When I'm in other parts of the country now I have trouble interacting with others now that are 'fake nice'. It's hard to have to modify yourself like that, and it feels very fake and uncomfortable. I think about moving back all the time and miss the real attitude terribly at times... how could a place be so bad if I find myself longing for it like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 09:50 PM

684 posts, read 1,820,543 times
New Yorkers aren't rude...this stereotype is so played. Some people are just too damn sensitive....

Old 02-05-2012, 08:20 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,384,671 times
I like how showing simple common courtesy is now somehow being construed as being fake nice. If someone thanks you for holding the door for them or says excuse me instead of knocking your aside is being "fake nice" then I'll take the "fake nice" people any day.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:22 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
When nyc sports team win a championship our attitude, and lewdness really comes out like today when the giants won the Superbowl.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:21 PM

110 posts, read 222,183 times
I've only ever visited NYC for a couple of weeks but during that time everyone I encountered was as nice, if not nicer, than those I've met in other parts of the world and the USA. People went out of their way to offer assistance on and around the subway, locals in bars were great and some female members of the wider NYC community were particularly friendly.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:16 PM

13 posts, read 14,138 times
I'm an Aussie who visited the US for work in 2010 and holiday in 2011. My 2010 trip took me to Missouri, Alabama, Louisiana, Texas and Kentucky; my 2011 trip took me to San Fran, Chicago, Boston and New York. While the "southern hospitality" I experienced on my first trip was noticable and a (nice) novelty I can honestly say that at no time on more recent trip did I find anyone - including New Yorkers - to be rude. I have no doubt that there are exceptions to the rule but wherever I went I found people to be genuinely interested in me, eager to help if I asked and nothing but welcoming.

That said, I also didn't stand on the middle of the sidewalk of 5th avenue rubber-necking, made an effort to work things out myself before asking for help and tried to have a solid understanding of how the city worked and was laid out - like anyone should before travelling anywhere!

I'm sure there are plenty of rude people in New York. There are plenty of rude people where I live too. I'd go as far as guessing there are 9 times as many rude people in New York as my city as New York is 9 times the size! For that reason people will always think the worst of the city's rudeness as more people = more exposure = more opportunity for dumb magazine editors to write these sorts of articles or have these sorts of poles!

Old 02-08-2012, 10:40 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
You need to ask yourself when visiting nyc or moving to nyc are you guys and gals are around everyday typical new yorkers or around many people who moved to nyc from other homogeneous American hell holes?

Old 02-08-2012, 10:42 PM

835 posts, read 1,040,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny123 View Post
New York has been named America's rudest city (http://news.yahoo.com/fuggedaboutit-ny-named-rudest-us-city-224543758.html - broken link) by Travel and Leisure magazine.

These are just articles.

In another one, Boston was named rudest city.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:37 AM

11 posts, read 24,138 times
Idk- I figure that a city so big- the way we perceive anyone/anywhere really is based on personal experience and is very bias to say that a city as a whole is rude.

One person spills their coffee on ya and all of a sudden- BAM- city is full or jerks. People

Old 02-09-2012, 07:11 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,669,503 times
I lived in New York most of my life, and I do agree many New Yorkers are rude.

Just riding the subway, no one says excuse me, or even walking in the street if you ask for directions, many people keep walking or look at you if you are crazy.
And New Yorkers see people passed out on the street and do nothing but walk by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City