Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 12:46 PM

6 posts, read 24,798 times

Advertisements

I live in Williamsburg and am looking to buy a townhouse.
Williamsburg is too expensive for my price range ($1million), not to mention the schools are not that great. I don't have kids yet, but hope to soon.

I would like to be able to take the subway into Manhattan and was told that Forest Hills or Astoria might be good neighborhoods. Does anyone know what the towns are like? I know Astoria is pretty greek, but are the people moving there yuppies? I like Williamsburg b/c of the young people,artists, cafes and shops that are around. Can you recommend a town that might be a good move for me?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 01:01 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
What do you consider a yuppie? I can't answer that part of your question because that is subjective.

Astoria has a lot of Greek people, but it has become quite popular amongst young professionals in recent years.

Forest Hills is less ethnic, a lot of young professionals and a lot of senior citizens as well.

As far as I know neither has much of an art scene.

I believe out of the two, Astoria is more affordable.

They both have very good reputations and are both very close to Manhattan.

You really should just go check out these neighborhoods yourself. That is the only way you really get a feel for a place.

Old 09-04-2007, 01:33 PM

thank you and i think you're right about checking out the neighborhoods for myself.

Old 09-04-2007, 02:16 PM

19 posts, read 32,675 times
Hi,

I've lived in Astoria for about 6 months now, having lived in Brooklyn my whole life, and I couldn't be happier with it.

It's a very safe neighborhood, and the access to Manhattan is about the same as you have now in W'burg. Forest Hills would be a little bit of a longer commute.

Old 09-04-2007, 03:02 PM

314 posts, read 492,279 times
everyone here knows how much i love my neighborhoods (old and new). having said that, astoria is one of the only places that i would truly like to move to. i love astoria. greeks are fantastic people.

Old 09-05-2007, 09:09 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
check out astorians.com for a feel of the neighborhood. not sure about schools but there is a highly active young adult scene. Forest Hills is very nice but it lacks that hip factor/European flavor that Astoria has. You might enjoy both though.

Old 09-05-2007, 10:50 AM

thanks for your advice! i think i'm leaning towards astoria now.
i checked out some real estate and there are some beautiful homes there.
i can't wait to check out astorians.com to get another feel for it.
i think i'll go check the town soon too.

Old 09-06-2007, 02:21 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,670,391 times
Astoria has the best Greek restaurants in the city.

My favorite is Elias Corner. Also Taverna Kyclades.

Forest Hills has beautiful, treelined houses. And Austin street has a few shops and restaurants.

Astoria is more affordable, though, but probably not for long.

Old 09-10-2007, 09:39 PM

91 posts, read 473,821 times
I lived in Astoria from 2001-2004 and have lived in Forest Hills since. In the 1million range I would definately go to forest hills. The reason being that you can get a great town house in forest hills gardens at that price range....if you have not seen the gardens area of forest hills you will be amazed how nice it is. Astoria is definately more affordable, most town houses for 1million will be multi-family larger townhouses like 3 family. If you are looking for a single family townhouse for 1million then definately forest hills (but look in the gardens if possible, although near the gardens is also really nice!!).

Here is a photo tour Forest Hills Gardens: Neighborhood Photos

Forest Hills Gardens

Old 09-11-2007, 02:13 PM

52 posts, read 181,330 times
forest hills! why? bc i live there, haha.

but seriously. i walk down the street after dinner and i can smell the fresh flowers in people's front yards, and all i can hear is crickets. sometimes i cant believe i'm in the middle of queens. the express train will get you into midtown as fast as an astoria subway can. only negative is the 2am cab ride home that costs over $25.

visit, walk the streets, talk to some people. good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: