Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 07:15 PM

277 posts, read 884,050 times

Advertisements

There are so many stops on the 7 train. I wish that I could accept your advice. In the meantime, the posters listed plenty of places for me to experience. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
I recommend Dominick's on Arthur Avenue. I go there probably once a year since when I was a kid.

And definitely make sure you go to the market. It's a great experience:
Arthur Avenue Retail Market - Belmont - Bronx, NY
I love markets. I'll be sure to visit this one! Thanks so much!

Old 02-08-2012, 10:15 AM

1,118 posts, read 2,287,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7035683216 View Post
There are so many stops on the 7 train. I wish that I could accept your advice. In the meantime, the posters listed plenty of places for me to experience. Thanks so much!

Most areas along the 7 are incredibly diverse, although Corona and Flushing in particular are well known for their Hispanic and Chinese populations, respectively. Woodside and Sunnyside also have high Indian, Thai, and Filipinio concentrations.

Old 02-08-2012, 02:41 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Nobody for Brooklyn?

Flatbush - West Indian enclave

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-08-2012, 02:48 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Nobody for Brooklyn?..........
There is an enclave of ethnic midwesterners in Williamsburg. Lots of ethnic shops,restaurants,bars,etc on Bedford Ave.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:02 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,917,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Nobody for Brooklyn?

Flatbush - West Indian enclave
Brighton Beach Avenue-Russian enclave.
8th Avenue in Sunset Park-Chinese
Borough Park and Midwood-Hasidic

Old 02-09-2012, 10:07 PM

961 posts, read 2,464,801 times
Flatbush and Crown Heights Brooklyn, very West Indian. I don't quite remember the name but this Jerk Chicken spot on Church and Flatbush that stays open until 3 or 4 am. And this Haitian spot called Kombit on Flatbush ave, more "Prospect Heights".

Washington Heights, Malencon a well known Dominican restaurant and Tropical in Harlem off w. 127th and Adam Clayton Powell.

The Soulspot? in Clinton Hill/ Fort Green, which still has a large African American population.

Nuyorican Poets Cafe in Alphabet city, this and the last neighborhood are changing demographically though.

Those are ethnic spots that reflect these neighborhood's flavor both past and present, but for all intense and purposes, I will breakdown Brooklyn enclaves the best I can.

Crown Heights, Flatbush, Canarsie and to a lesser extent Prospect Heights: West Indian (Caribbean)
Greenpoint: Polish
Fort Greene, Clinton Hill, Bed-Stuy, Brownsville and ENY: Afro-American
Southside Williamsburg, Bushwick, Sunset Park and ENY: PR & DR
Bushwick and Sunset Park: Mexican
Windsor Terrace, Kensington: Bengali, Pakistani and Indian
Bay Ridge and Boreum Hill (Atlantic Ave): Arab
Sunset Park and Bensonhurst: Chinese
Bensonhurst, Gravesend, Bay Ridge: Italian
South Williamsburg, Borough Park and Crown Heights (certain sections): Hasidic and Orthodox Jewish

I could keep going, but I'm sure I've done this already.

Last edited by twist07; 02-09-2012 at 10:27 PM..

Old 02-10-2012, 08:00 PM

Red face Enclaves?

Thanks for discussing these neighborhoods in Brooklyn. I will visit them as well to see if the culture is apparent from the street or subway stop. Although their are neighborhoods that contain a large percentage of immigrants from one country or culture, I would like to visit neighborhoods that have authentic restaurants, shops, museums, or any other celebration of their heritage.

That is one reason why I mentioned Little India. Although there is a high percentage of Indian people in this area, it is very interesting to see the clothing shops and restaurants!

Thanks again!

Old 02-11-2012, 08:27 PM

23 posts, read 50,147 times
Go to Veslo Restaurant in Astoria, Queens. Great Croatian food. There are a few other Croatian/Serbian options in the area as well as Greek

Old 02-12-2012, 09:32 AM

579 posts, read 945,817 times
Default Little Italy in the Bronx

I love to go to Arthur Avenue in the Bronx to shop. It is one of the best places to get authentic Italian foods and the prices are very reasonable. My 85 year old parents still make the trek there to shop. It's worth the trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City