Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 04:42 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times

Advertisements

I'm with Fred here. The POST will amplify anything that sounds like GOVERNMENT IS AWFUL or PUBLIC HOUSING IS AWFUL or even veiled references to THE POOR ARE AWFUL or BLACK PEOPLE ARE AWFUL
Hey. Rupert Murdoch is the owner.

In fact, from CityHired.com:
Quote:
The average salary for nycha jobs is $34,000. Average nycha salaries can vary greatly due to company, location, industry, experience and benefits.
Quite a cry from that $180K plumber. (Perhaps he was the made-up JOE THE PLUMBER the GOP made up last election?)

But remember nothing beats the POST for kitty litter as long as your cat cannot read the drivel.

Last edited by Kefir King; 02-06-2012 at 05:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 04:50 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,266,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I agree with you, I think that is very important to have government accountability, I am just saying we shouldn't say just because something isn't functioning right we should get rid of it for the other option. Unions can easily function as a protector of worker rights and monitored to protect from greed, it just requires proper over sight which I am sure plenty of Republicans would just cry that it is an expansion of the government when it is just a checkpoint to keep things honest.
How would government oversight help this situation? The union negotiated a very unfair contract in their favor. They gleefully overcharge for services and probably convince themselves that there are no victims.

The ironic thing is, when organized labor behaves in this way they actually weaken the union over the long term -- but the members are sometimes so greedy and short sighted they don't see or don't care. A union that protects workers rights should also negotiate fair contracts and make sure workers are efficient at what they do. There is no shortage of press surrounding workers being overpaid or paid to sit around "on call".

Unions used to be responsible organizations. Now it seems the point is to get paid as much as possible to do as little work as possible. I don't want unions to die, but they must get their act together or the public is going to turn against them and we'll all be at the mercy of however our employers wish to treat us.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:52 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
How would government oversight help this situation? The union negotiated a very unfair contract in their favor. They gleefully overcharge for services and probably convince themselves that there are no victims.

The ironic thing is, when organized labor behaves in this way they actually weaken the union over the long term -- but the members are sometimes so greedy and short sighted they don't see or don't care. A union that protects workers rights should also negotiate fair contracts and make sure workers are efficient at what they do. There is no shortage of press surrounding workers being overpaid or paid to sit around "on call".

Unions used to be responsible organizations. Now it seems the point is to get paid as much as possible to do as little work as possible. I don't want unions to die, but they must get their act together or the public is going to turn against them and we'll all be at the mercy of however our employers wish to treat us.
You answered your own question, how would government oversight help? Read your last paragraph.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:24 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,256,500 times
Quote:
Wouldn't that just translate to more homeless people living in the city?
No not really. There are options such as the Section 8 person moving in with family members or friends. Ultimately if all avenues have been exhausted, the City will rightfully displace them to some other city via a one-way plane ticket to a family member in Georgia or somewhere down south. Not even joking, the city really does that and I'm all for it. Love the idea.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
No not really. There are options such as the Section 8 person moving in with family members or friends. Ultimately if all avenues have been exhausted, the City will rightfully displace them to some other city via a one-way plane ticket to a family member in Georgia or somewhere down south. Not even joking, the city really does that and I'm all for it. Love the idea.
That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard....welp, lets send our problems elsewhere rather than fixing the problem...reshuffling poverty is never a good idea, but I guess if it is gonna be done, might as well shuffle the poor off to the Republican states I guess.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:38 AM

2,517 posts, read 4,256,500 times
Quote:
That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard....welp, lets send our problems elsewhere rather than fixing the problem...reshuffling poverty is never a good idea, but I guess if it is gonna be done, might as well shuffle the poor off to the Republican states I guess.
I don't care where they go as long as they leave NY and stay out of my back yard. Let them ruin someone else's neighborhood, not mine. The less Section 8 people roaming NY streets, the better quality of life NY will have.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:17 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
Barkomatic said it correctly...unions can be fair and accountable but too many are undermining their own goals of protecting workers and fairness by greed and corruption. Negotiating purposefully unfair contracts (to guarantee votes) and then looking the other way when employees actively exploit them is exactly the greed/corruption unions were originally fighting in private business remember?

I don't think we need to kill unions, but they are clearly incapable of policing themselves and there is no accountability = backlash against them and their influence is waning. When Americans generally play fairly, and they hear about a group (unions) secretly and sometimes blatantly gaming the system and getting fat with no repercussions...you will have the backlash you see today.

I believe unions used to serve a purpose, but they are now just another pig at the trough. And I do not believe any union labor should be allowed in the public sector for the reasons we see today...no accountability, corruption, peddling of votes, and monumental abuses..none of which are ever corrected. It is 2012 and we are still talking about the same fleecings from 1980....and we will be talking about them in 2030....and the unions are laughing all the way to the bank.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
I don't care where they go as long as they leave NY and stay out of my back yard. Let them ruin someone else's neighborhood, not mine. The less Section 8 people roaming NY streets, the better quality of life NY will have.
That still doesn't fix any problems, that just shuffles people around...heck, I would be happy with shipping every Republican to Texas and fencing it off, but that wouldn't actually fix any problems.

The idea is to fix the root of the problem, not the produce of the problem. Removing the Section 8 housing isn't going to make the problem go away, it is just going to make the problem look different.

Also, I am gonna go off a limb and say you are generalizing everyone that lives in Section 8 housing, which also is a problem with defining what the root of the problem is....but that is a common mistake because it is understandable that people just want the problem to go away without actually putting in the effort to deal with the problem at hand....kind of the American Way if you think about it.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:45 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,266,898 times
Quote:
You answered your own question, how would government oversight help? Read your last paragraph.
I don't think government oversight of unions will help. What I believe and hope will happen someday is that unions will begin to recognize the credibility problems they have and start to police themselves and their members a bit more.

Many Americans are out of work or underemployed in positions that don't pay the bills. An electrician that makes almost as much as the most senior executive at the organization he works for smacks of corruption and general unfairness.

These types of stories make it really easy for certain politicians to turn public opinion against unions in general. I think workers need an advocate in a society that does not guarantee medical care or housing.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
I don't think government oversight of unions will help. What I believe and hope will happen someday is that unions will begin to recognize the credibility problems they have and start to police themselves and their members a bit more.

Many Americans are out of work or underemployed in positions that don't pay the bills. An electrician that makes almost as much as the most senior executive at the organization he works for smacks of corruption and general unfairness.

These types of stories make it really easy for certain politicians to turn public opinion against unions in general. I think workers need an advocate in a society that does not guarantee medical care or housing.
Well to be fair you are arguing over a small number of people these days, most Americans are not in unions, and the ones that are in unions that are within the government should have government oversight, obviously.

But if you are hoping for something to police itself, that is like hoping Wall Street can police itself and not steal and bet against the country....which we know ain't ever gonna stop unless the government makes them stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City