Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 10:33 PM

2,965 posts, read 3,533,700 times

Advertisements

Do you exist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 11:23 PM

458 posts, read 616,486 times
Yes. Although technically (if we were to be using correct definitions) I'm a liberal, but people don't seem to know what political words mean these days anyway. The media is one of the worst offenders (calling a President who wants to increase regulations, expand government, and raise taxes "liberal" is simply incorrect). Most "liberals" are really progressives, and most "conservatives" are liberals. Today, liberals are more conservative than "conservatives."

Unless we're talking social liberal vs social conservative, in which case the traditional definitions are correct. But social conservatism is something I really don't understand. Society has always been getting more liberal, tolerant, and free - why should we stop now?

I'm liberal and vote mostly Republican or Libertarian. Most all of my friends, if they have political inclinations, are yellow-dog democrats. It's always mystified me why New Yorkers complain incessantly about their terrible politicians but keep voting in the same Democrats again and again.

Old 02-04-2012, 07:02 AM

2,517 posts, read 4,257,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester2138 View Post
Yes. Although technically (if we were to be using correct definitions) I'm a liberal, but people don't seem to know what political words mean these days anyway. The media is one of the worst offenders (calling a President who wants to increase regulations, expand government, and raise taxes "liberal" is simply incorrect). Most "liberals" are really progressives, and most "conservatives" are liberals. Today, liberals are more conservative than "conservatives."

Unless we're talking social liberal vs social conservative, in which case the traditional definitions are correct. But social conservatism is something I really don't understand. Society has always been getting more liberal, tolerant, and free - why should we stop now?

I'm liberal and vote mostly Republican or Libertarian. Most all of my friends, if they have political inclinations, are yellow-dog democrats. It's always mystified me why New Yorkers complain incessantly about their terrible politicians but keep voting in the same Democrats again and again.
Good point. I'm from the Bronx and I'm socially and financially conservative. Normally people associate the Bronx with democrats and social liberals but we have many down low conservatives.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:22 AM

824 posts, read 2,792,248 times
I grew up contemptuous of my upper west side liberal surroundings. It was the era of haughty Nixon haters, superior acting feminists, and the birth of the term limousine liberal. It forever turned me off to liberals (in the current sense of "liberal" as Jester2138 points out).

Old 02-04-2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctc7 View Post
I grew up contemptuous of my upper west side liberal surroundings. It was the era of haughty Nixon haters, superior acting feminists, and the birth of the term limousine liberal. It forever turned me off to liberals (in the current sense of "liberal" as Jester2138 points out).
I honestly blame the ideology and behavior of the socially liberals in NYC for the lack of quality of life NYC has had since the 60's. Its like anything goes for them. Hence the riff-raff and disrespect. I think the 60's was really the changing point and a changing of the guard from more old school traditional conservative values (which I support), to liberal anything goes, lifestyle and culture sparked by the hippie movement.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:16 AM

51 posts, read 166,346 times
yes we exist....but it also depends on what you mean by conservative. If you are talking about this new definition then no...

but if you are talking about limited small government, freedom of choice (social issues) then that is me...as long as you don't harm anyone in your intentions

Libertarianism I guess is the closest fit...but I do believe in some form of Government.

Old 02-05-2012, 01:13 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,111,265 times
Some parts of NYC (especially Staten Island) are very conservative and vote Republican by big margins. There are also some heavily conservative areas in Queens.

Old 02-05-2012, 06:40 PM

458 posts, read 616,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icon124 View Post
yes we exist....but it also depends on what you mean by conservative. If you are talking about this new definition then no...

but if you are talking about limited small government, freedom of choice (social issues) then that is me...as long as you don't harm anyone in your intentions

Libertarianism I guess is the closest fit...but I do believe in some form of Government.
While most people associate those ideas with conservatism or libertarianism, you are talking about, believe it or not, liberalism. It's just that terms are so screwed up nowadays it has nearly flipped in most peoples heads.

Quote:
Liberalism is the belief in the importance of liberty and equal rights... [Liberals support] ideas such as constitutionalism, liberal democracy, free and fair elections, human rights, capitalism, and freedom of religion.
Today, most people think of liberalism as:

Quote:
A political ideology advocating or favoring social, political, and economic reform or changes through the state.
Actually, that is progressivism.

Quote:
The term 'progressive' is today often used in place of 'liberal.' Although the two are related in some ways, they are separate and distinct political ideologies and should not be used interchangeably. In the US in particular, the term progressive tends to have the same value as the European term social democrat; which is scarcely used in American political language.
Liberalism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Progressivism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

^^^ All that is just to say that yes, there are LOTS of "conservatives," if what you mean by "conservative" is liberal

EDIT: To be even more precise, I'm a classical liberal:

Quote:
... the philosophy committed to the ideal of limited government, constitutionalism, rule of law, due process, and liberty of individuals including freedom of religion, speech, press, assembly, and free markets.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_liberalism

Old 02-06-2012, 05:37 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,093,283 times
Quote:
Do conservatives exist in NYC?
Just talk to any landlord, or venture into the Financial District, walk up Fifth or Park Avenues and you'll find PLENTY of them.

The shortage is the Progressive Left.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Just talk to any landlord, or venture into the Financial District, walk up Fifth or Park Avenues and you'll find PLENTY of them.

The shortage is the Progressive Left.
Progressive Left like you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City