Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 04:15 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,250,356 times

Advertisements

For a few months, my husband is going to have to commute from Clinton Hill to the South Bronx. The other day, I saw an official sign for a commuter van pick-up and I was wondering, does anyone know how to find out if there is a route from Brooklyn to the Bronx?

I've found it easy to take the vans from the GWB to parts of Jersey because they all start from a central location, but I'm clueless as to what Brooklyn neighborhood might need frequent service to the Bronx (like the vans going from Chinatown to Flushing).

Any suggestions to shorten his temporary commute will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 04:25 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,813,232 times
There is no such thing, and there is no Brooklyn neighborhood needing such service.

For a shorter commute, buy a car.

Transplants....

Old 02-13-2012, 06:15 PM

So wrong; no surprise there. The husband is a native.

And buying a car for a few months would be stupid.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:54 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,813,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpsonDowns View Post
And buying a car for a few months would be stupid.
So keep it for longer, and it is only as stupid as the commute is abhorrent.

It w/b worth it to me. I wouldn't travel to the South Bronx by public transport. I'd pay the cost to buy, rent, lease, or steal a vehicle!

It is all a matter of what you time and safety is worth to you, and what you can afford.

In life you pay for what you get.

Husband is a native and doesn't know there is no dmn dollar van to the Bronx???? Must be the offspring of a Transplant.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:39 PM

And now following the advice of those wiser than me.

Love that Ignore function.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:45 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,932 times
Most of the dollar vans are in the Flatbush/East Flatbush/Flatlands area. Some go into Downtown Brooklyn, but that's about it.

For a commute to the South Bronx, he'll have to drive or take the subway. I don't think a commute by subway is that bad, especially if his job is right by a station (if he has to take a bus from the subway station, it'll add some time).

He'll just have to make his way to the (2), (4), or (5) train, or maybe the (B) or (D) if those suit him better.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:54 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post

Husband is a native and doesn't know there is no dmn dollar van to the Bronx???? Must be the offspring of a Transplant.
Oh come on! There are a lot of natives that don't know about things because they've never needed to know about them...(that is, until a situation arises where they need to know). And how is an offspring of a transplant not a native? That's like saying all those city-born offspring of Caribbean transplants in places like Crown Heights aren't "natives" because their parents were born elsewhere...Crown Heights is about as real NYC as you can get. Also, it always amazes me that people forget the whole darn city was founded by "transplants"!

Anyway, OP the BK to BX subway really isn't that bad. Sure it'll be like one hour and involve a transfer, but really, it's not that bad ( just get a seat and a good book!)

Old 02-14-2012, 09:41 AM

Thanks for the helpful posts. Unfortunately, it's taking him about an hour and a half, but he loves his students and won't even think about leaving the kids mid-year. He'll just have to suck it up for a while.

(Imagine that - someone commuting to the South Bronx every day for eight years to teach in a public school. We aren't all money-grubbing scum.)

Old 02-14-2012, 09:50 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,610,796 times
I had to commute from Brooklyn to the South Bronx for a client 3 times a week. Occasionally I took the car I had at the time (which was an hour drive in rush hour traffic) or the train (which was an hour and a half). The commute isn't too bad actually, and I never felt nervous going through the South Bronx.

There's no commuter vans, but maybe he could check into car pooling?

Old 02-14-2012, 02:47 PM

279 posts, read 854,392 times
rent a zip car or similar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City