Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2012, 10:15 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyzo View Post
I am moving to Myrlte and Marcy across from the G train myrtle-willoughby stop in BedStuy. i am a 25 yr old woman. I sometimes getting home after 3am. Is is safe to ride a bike, take the train, or walk in that neighborhood. What are the pros and cons of this particular location in BedSty Thanks
The area is very heavily Hasidic to the north and west (literally one block west and two blocks north it's all Hasidic ) but also has a small mixture of "new" residents (meaning hipsters). Marcy Houses is in that area too. It stretches north from Marcy ave to Flushing ave and west to Nostrand, so fair warning about your proximity to them, although near those projects are popular bars and restaurants full of "new" residents (one of the bars is even called Project Parlor!). My personal sentiment about your specific block; I wouldn't want to live a stones throw from a very large housing project...but I would characterize that overall area as a mix of hood, Hasidim, and hipsters-probably in that order.

As for taking the train at 3AM...I'm a young, single, woman and avoid taking the train very late at night anywhere in the city. Yes, sometimes I end up going home on the train after midnight but as a general rule, if I know ahead of time I'm going to be out late I drive or have enough money with me for a cab.

The questions asking about walking, riding a bike, etc are getting tired (someone once even asked if it's OK to drive in an area...seriously, WTF!?) If you already live in NYC you need to take yourself down to the area you are tinkling of living in during a few different times of the day/night, and walk around to see how you feel. That's what I did.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 12:19 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyzo View Post
I am moving to Myrlte and Marcy across from the G train myrtle-willoughby stop in BedStuy. i am a 25 yr old woman. I sometimes getting home after 3am. Is is safe to ride a bike, take the train, or walk in that neighborhood. What are the pros and cons of this particular location in BedSty Thanks
Knew friends who lived there; the Marcy Houses were across the street. They didn't feel it was that safe at night, at least alone. The train was safe, but the walk from the train station to apartment not so much. If it's a very short walk might be ok. Early at night might be fine but not after midnight.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:21 PM

93 posts, read 194,357 times
ya u'll be safe. that part of bed stuy is good.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:33 PM

961 posts, read 2,464,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
from South williamsburg to Park Slope near Grand Army Plaza - probable route down Classon to Lafayette across Lafayette to I think it was Vanderbilt, and then down to GAP.

It will be day time, on a saturday, and the walkers will be two middle aged folks and one young woman, in clothing suitable for church/synagogue.

I don't mean to insult anyone by asking about safety, and yeah, I know its broad daylight, and bed stuy has changed, and all that, but still thought I would gather any wisdom people here have.
If you're walking down Classon you don't have to worry about anything.

Old 05-10-2012, 02:54 PM

242 posts, read 1,184,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
The area is very heavily Hasidic to the north and west (literally one block west and two blocks north it's all Hasidic ) but also has a small mixture of "new" residents (meaning hipsters). Marcy Houses is in that area too. It stretches north from Marcy ave to Flushing ave and west to Nostrand, so fair warning about your proximity to them, although near those projects are popular bars and restaurants full of "new" residents (one of the bars is even called Project Parlor!). My personal sentiment about your specific block; I wouldn't want to live a stones throw from a very large housing project...but I would characterize that overall area as a mix of hood, Hasidim, and hipsters-probably in that order.
Exactly what she said. It's a strange vibe over there with the clash of the cultures. Interesting though. You can absolutely find some really good deals on housing in that area right now. There's also a bunch of bars and a really cool huge kosher supermarket on Myrtle over there.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:14 PM

25 posts, read 99,157 times
My son is moving to Van Buren and Bushwick Ave. He will be biking through to Cobblehill area to work. It seems from reading this thread that Myrtle or DeKalb would be the route to take. I grew up in the Bronx but not that familiar with Brooklyn. I have been reading some of these threads and there is a lot of conflicting info as to red zones, orange and yellow, etc.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:54 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jett456 View Post
My son is moving to Van Buren and Bushwick Ave. He will be biking through to Cobblehill area to work. It seems from reading this thread that Myrtle or DeKalb would be the route to take. I grew up in the Bronx but not that familiar with Brooklyn. I have been reading some of these threads and there is a lot of conflicting info as to red zones, orange and yellow, etc.
It's a red zone. Hood through and through.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:14 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,813,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
from South williamsburg to Park Slope near Grand Army Plaza - probable route down Classon to Lafayette across Lafayette to I think it was Vanderbilt, and then down to GAP.

It will be day time, on a saturday, and the walkers will be two middle aged folks and one young woman, in clothing suitable for church/synagogue.
In other words, looking like grandpa and grandma tourist with clothes on that scream 'mug me'. Cameras dangling around your necks and fanny packs too???

You will NOT blend in. There will not be a bunch of other tourists. You will look like what you are, and there is a 'risk' to that.

What I wonder is why, your sort wants to take such a walk? What are you looking for that you won't find elsewhere in Manhattan or Park Slope?

It is a stupid risk for little (and I would say purposeless) gain.

Note, I'm not trying to impy that there are raving lunatics waiting to attack the likes of you; but, rather, what is the point? No matter, how 'improved' NYC may be or appear, it ain't Candyland!!!

Think about it,Predator just happens to be lurking about, seeking a victim. His choice, hardened NYers, Transplant that have lived here for awhile, or 'you people'. Which do you think he chooses?

Btw, go to any NYC tourist advice site, and you will be advised to dress like NYers.

I guarantee, there will be no NYers along that route with white skin dressed for church or the synagauge!! They don't go to church!!! The only Jews headed to shul will be Hasidim!!

Old 07-09-2012, 11:41 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,813,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlushingRepresenter View Post

You are truly [add words which will get me banned]!!!

That scen shows what, precisely? Is meant to imply what, precisely?

That the extent of your knowledge and experienced is limited to the fantastic prejudice of your mind.

Have you posted a single post of any value, substance, truth or reality?

If so, that single post has escaped me.

The one thing that youtube video you discovered proved was that you can be a photographer and walk around in relative safety with thousands of dollars hanging around your neck.

Was that scene one where some Transplant had been assaulted? NO, simplly llocal on local crime. Perhaps the blacks and the hispanics got into it. Again, this shows what, precisely?

That some builder built some Transplant housing directly across the street? Is that your intent?

Was that an 'everyday' scene? Is everyday, some violence occuring, the police investigating, and people milling about attracted, as we all are, to the show?

Do you even live or frequent that area???

Nooooooooo YOU do not!

You simply did a yotube search and presented as representative of your prejudicial mind, lacking any substance what so ever!

You are not a NYer. You do NOT rrepresent Flushing. You don't know what you talk about. Even your comments re Flusing lack veracity. Poser is the word that comes to mind.

Obviously, I've had it with the nonsense you spout.

Oh, if you happen to be a 15 year old, then kid, growup! If you are an adult, then again, GROW UP! Or, go home!

Old 07-09-2012, 11:52 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
In other words, looking like grandpa and grandma tourist with clothes on that scream 'mug me'. Cameras dangling around your necks and fanny packs too???

You will NOT blend in. There will not be a bunch of other tourists. You will look like what you are, and there is a 'risk' to that.

What I wonder is why, your sort wants to take such a walk? What are you looking for that you won't find elsewhere in Manhattan or Park Slope?

It is a stupid risk for little (and I would say purposeless) gain.

Note, I'm not trying to impy that there are raving lunatics waiting to attack the likes of you; but, rather, what is the point? No matter, how 'improved' NYC may be or appear, it ain't Candyland!!!

Think about it,Predator just happens to be lurking about, seeking a victim. His choice, hardened NYers, Transplant that have lived here for awhile, or 'you people'. Which do you think he chooses?

Btw, go to any NYC tourist advice site, and you will be advised to dress like NYers.

I guarantee, there will be no NYers along that route with white skin dressed for church or the synagauge!! They don't go to church!!! The only Jews headed to shul will be Hasidim!!
Ummm your rant is misguided and you've missed the point that the OP (who asked this question months ago) is a Jewish (Brooklynite??) that planned to walk to synagog in Park Slope form S. Williamsburg on a Saturday morning. In passing from S. Williamsburg through this N. Bed-Stuy section there would be many Hasidic Jews, with very white skin, headed to a synagog too...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City