Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 11:51 PM

5 posts, read 8,999 times

Advertisements

Never been to NY and now taking spouse and 2 young kids in July '12 on a budget trip for few days. Will be taking M60 from LGA to 125st and walk to hotel around 8:30/9:00 PM so I feel OK with that. But return flight is from JFK at 7:45 AM. Thinking of leaving hotel at 4:00 AM to catch the A line to Howard Beach and then take Airtrain from there to Terminal 8.

Kind of worried about dragging luggage (hopefully only 1 carry on each from hotel to 125th A/B/C subway near the Chase Bank/McDs at 4:00 AM from safety point of view. Any kind suggestions appreciated... Thx..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 12:22 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,813,232 times
Take a TAXI!!

Both from LGA and especially to JFK!

It really isn't intelligent to take public transportation with 2 little kids and a luggage to JFK. Nobody and I mean nobody does it. There simply is no way to justify it, considering convenience and/or crime risk.

Also, why book a hotel in Harlem with 2 little white kids in tow, presuming you to be white?

I'm black and wouldn't do it. I also wouldn't wouldn't bring my family to NYC on a *budget* which does not include taxi fare. NYC on a budget just creates too much inconvenience and risk to my children. JMO.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:41 AM

35 posts, read 64,458 times
Harlem resident here:
the M60 should be ok from LGA to Aloft, but a taxi may only run you $25-$30 including tip, so for 2 adults and 2 children it seems worth it.

For the way home via jfk, please take a taxi or the blue van shuttle for the reasons jcoltrane stated above. It will be too early in the morning to be going so far away with two children. Let us know what you decide to do.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:01 AM

340 posts, read 1,185,766 times
I dont know why u would come on "vacation" to nyc but stay in a hotel in harlem. that is stupid. I think next time I go visit chicago Ill stay in a hotel on the west side.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:39 AM

455 posts, read 651,867 times
Why don't you use the super shuttle bus or a taxi for both trips? I would not want to take public transportation with luggage and little kids to a place that i never been to before.

Harlem in the summertime is HOT. (and i am not taking about the weather)

Old 02-23-2012, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeRrYcRaCk View Post
I dont know why u would come on "vacation" to nyc but stay in a hotel in harlem. that is stupid. I think next time I go visit chicago Ill stay in a hotel on the west side.
I can understand staying at Aloft; it's a pretty swanky hotel right next to the A & D trains so it will be very convenient for sight seeing. And if they walk down the street between 123-116 Streets they will find a number of cafes/restaurants and "white" people (along with various other shades of human beings). That particular section of Harlem has changed a lot and is very nice imo.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:55 AM

142 posts, read 259,732 times
Apparently, it is still 1977 in Harlem. Your hotel will probably turn out to be a shooting gallery. Best skip it and book a trip to the Poconos instead, but definitely still make sure you don't expose your children to the horrors of public transportation.

On the way in, I'd take the taxi just to get there and be done with it. Lots of time later to drag the kids around on the subway and bus without luggage and whatnot.

On the way back, I'd be paranoid about something going wrong and missing the flight. You're talking about a haul on the subway with lots of walking and some waiting between connections. I did a similar trip by myself once, during the day, it was such a pita that I ended up wishing I'd just taken the shuttle. I basically came to the conclusion that the airtrain is for people who work at the airport and are used to the routine of it.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:11 AM

Hieronymus Bosch yes I totally agree, there are people who haven't been to Harlem in years and have no idea what it's like now.

Yes that "train to the plane" to JFK is a beast of a trip, trains, buses, just too much. But in the case of the M60, it is such a good bus route. No transfers and these folks will probably get into their hotel in 20-30 minutes door to door. But even knowing this sometimes when I fly into LGA I just hop into a cab, especially if it's raining or something because LGA is so close and the cab fare is relatively cheap for the convenience.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:19 AM

455 posts, read 651,867 times
I have taken the M60 from LGA to Harlem A train. It is no picnic especially during the hr that they are going to take it. The bus will be packed with people and their suitcases then you add the regular folks along queen and east harlem who hop on the bus to get to their destination. Have fun!

Old 02-23-2012, 06:42 AM

632 posts, read 1,071,109 times
From experience...last week was my first time in NYC. I flew into Laguardia at about 8am Saturday morning, and took the M60 to 125/Lexington, then the (4 I think?) line down to Grand Central. Trip went well up until Monday afternoon when I had to get back to LGA for a 8:30 flight back to Pittsburgh. I was down in Soho...looking to take the (6?) line up to Grand Central so I could go back the same way I came. Problem was, the line I was looking to take had all the Uptown stations closed. I walked about 8 blocks and each one was roped off. Eventually took a taxi up to Grand Central and was ready to hop back onto the 4 to head up to the M60 and there was an announcement that a bunch of the stops up towards Harlem were closed. Long story short - I took one of hte Airport shuttles parked outside Grand Central. For 10$ its not a bad deal at all especially if, like me, you had no idea wtf was going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: