Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 06:44 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,162,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discouragedcitizen View Post
Catch a Matinée.

For example, at all AMC Lowes before 12pm, it is $6 a ticket, no tax.
I didn't think that applied to Manhattan AMC's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 06:46 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,162,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyQueens View Post
No admission price over $10 at Kew Gardens Cinemas, which shows halfway decent movies, too.

I believe all shows before 7 are $5. Or maybe it's $7 before 5? Either way, it's a good deal.
I believe Douglaston does a similar thing.
Parking is a nightmare there now however, since they opened up a Fairway store next door.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:14 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
I find that an audience is usually more of a minus than a plus.
How about a crowded little theater (like the QUAD) with a 300 pounder sitting next to you hogging the armrail forcing you to sit cockeyed for 90 minutes and have your back scream at you the next day. Or some dimwith behind you laughing loudly at EVERY line...like badly done canned laughter. And the last minute arrival of a Knicks player who takes the seat in front of you?
Or the old dame aside you wearing a quart of Shalimar?

Don't we all love the extended commercials for Coke and American Express, and Geico...that we paid $12 to watch?

How about that COLD we are going to catch from Sneezy in the front row whose viruses are recycled endlessly for 2 hours?

How about the thoughtless people at EVERY showing who try to "save" seats on either side of them. (They are worst at MOMA screenings...always crabby-assed old ladies.)

There's a REASON Netflix has 20 million Americans mailing them a monthly check.

(Do we all remember the bedbug infestation that closed the 42nd St. AMC Empire last year?)

Old 02-29-2012, 07:15 AM

155 posts, read 426,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlonaG View Post
I believe Douglaston does a similar thing.
Parking is a nightmare there now however, since they opened up a Fairway store next door.
How true. Even though the theater is on the lower level, it's best to park on the upper level and walk through Macy's to get there. What a disaster it is....

Old 02-29-2012, 10:18 AM

1,409 posts, read 5,250,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlonaG View Post
I didn't think that applied to Manhattan AMC's.
As of this summer, it applied to Manhattan AMCs. 34th St was our favorite - big screens and clean, but having all the bathrooms on one floor is one of the dumbest theater designs ever.

Kefir, I love watching movies at home too. But for movie lovers, nothing beats the fun of the group experience of seeing a big blockbuster fill your entire field of vision with gorgeous surround sound and the crackle of excitement from your fellow moviegoers. From the yips and hisses at the trailers to the gasps and squeals during the highs and lows of the drama of the main attraction, audiences can make or break a film.

You may prefer to stay in, but as someone who has spent decades looking for "big laughers" for screenings and have sat with other film professionals who are "too cool" to get swept up in a movie, I will say for myself and many others, the theater experience can't be beat. It's one of the reasons I was watching Harry Potter at the Ziegfeld on my due date, ha.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:47 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Quote:
Kefir, I love watching movies at home too. But for movie lovers, nothing beats the fun of the group experience of seeing a big blockbuster fill your entire field of vision with gorgeous surround sound and the crackle of excitement from your fellow moviegoers. From the yips and hisses at the trailers to the gasps and squeals during the highs and lows of the drama of the main attraction, audiences can make or break a film.
I was lured only ONCE in the last three years and that was for AVATAR...a terrific experience. And of course, the reason I had to drop $13 was the 3-D experience which was not possible for me at home.

Part of the reason for my Neflix obsession is the endless stream of really REALLY dreadful new movies coming out of Hollywood into the MegaPlexes. The one in two dozen that approaches watchability can easily wait 6 months, if ever.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:15 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,915,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
The Whitestone is safe. Its decently clean and it has a good size. No need for cops but it is what it is. I'm not gonna lie, crowd and staff are ghetto. It is not uncommon to hear babies crying and see people bring little kids to adult movies. Be prepared to suck your teeth a little in disgust...
Whitestone is pretty skeery these days - haven't been there in probably 20 years because my mother decided it wasn't worth it after a few shootings. 5 minutes away, but might as well be a world.

Vic, you may want to check out Bay Plaza - easy for you to get there via the Bx12, and it's not bad at all. Went with my mom and sister a few weeks ago and was really very pleasantly surprised.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:37 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,610,796 times
I know I went to a theatre on Queens Blvd. somewhere in Sunnyside that I think charged $7 or $8. It was on a Tuesday, so not sure if that made a difference.

We just stick to the free movie tickets on Tuesdays at Clearview Cinemas that are available for Cablevision customers. It doesn't get any cheaper than that!

Old 03-01-2012, 03:57 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizfromtheBronx View Post
Whitestone is pretty skeery these days - haven't been there in probably 20 years because my mother decided it wasn't worth it after a few shootings. 5 minutes away, but might as well be a world.

Vic, you may want to check out Bay Plaza - easy for you to get there via the Bx12, and it's not bad at all. Went with my mom and sister a few weeks ago and was really very pleasantly surprised.
Well I've been there quite a few times, never had any problems besides the ones I mentioned. Last movie I saw there was Immortals which sucked btw.

Old 03-02-2012, 05:35 AM

518 posts, read 1,580,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizfromtheBronx View Post

Thanks Liz. I was asking about this theatre. Was hoping it was decent.
Will check out now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City