Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 03:41 PM

842 posts, read 4,309,547 times

Advertisements

A New York City Police Officer has been shot in Mt. Hope at 174th St. and Jerome Ave. He was rushed to St. Barnabas Hospital, his condition is unknown. More on this as it develops
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2007, 04:16 PM

564 posts, read 1,727,141 times
Well, I mean, it IS Mount Hope. When I read Jerome Avenue I feared it happened by the Tracey Towers/Norwood area, a relatively safe part of the Bronx.

Old 09-07-2007, 04:44 PM

216 posts, read 993,015 times
ive actually seen mt hope marketed as 'up and coming'. amazing...

Old 09-07-2007, 04:48 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,554,172 times
Officer is female and 1 person died at the station.

Old 09-07-2007, 05:25 PM

842 posts, read 4,309,547 times
Transit Officer Shot In The Bronx

(CBS) BRONX A female transit officer was shot in the foot. The shooting occurred at the # 4 train's West 176th Street station, near Jerome Avenue, in the Mount Hope section of the Bronx. The officer was taken to St. Barnabas hospital for treatment.

Another person, believed to be the perpetrator was also shot, and had died. CBS 2 has learned the officer's injuries are not life threatening.

wcbstv.com - Transit Officer Shot In The Bronx (broken link)

Old 09-08-2007, 02:20 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,800,049 times
Technically this station is right on the boarder of Mount Hope (AKA Tremont) and Morris Heights. One of the nastiest blocks you can imagine is right up the hill from that station. W 176th Street and Davidson Avenue. HORRIBLE block. Wouldn't be surprised if the perps were from or coming from that street. A lot of really nasty blocks in those South Bronx neighborhoods.

Anyway, the cop is a female and she is okay. Stable. I belive she was shot once in the foot, and once in the stomach (I belive this round may have hit her vest). One perp is DOA. It went down in the subway station. She is a transit cop so she was most likely alone.

Nothing unusual though. Not the first or last time a cop has been shot in that neighborhood. Another cop was shot in the area a few months back, and a cop killed last year. You just have to watch your back.

Old 09-08-2007, 05:44 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,674,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
Technically this station is right on the boarder of Mount Hope (AKA Tremont) and Morris Heights. One of the nastiest blocks you can imagine is right up the hill from that station. W 176th Street and Davidson Avenue. HORRIBLE block. Wouldn't be surprised if the perps were from or coming from that street. A lot of really nasty blocks in those South Bronx neighborhoods.

Anyway, the cop is a female and she is okay. Stable. I belive she was shot once in the foot, and once in the stomach (I belive this round may have hit her vest). One perp is DOA. It went down in the subway station. She is a transit cop so she was most likely alone.

Nothing unusual though. Not the first or last time a cop has been shot in that neighborhood. Another cop was shot in the area a few months back, and a cop killed last year. You just have to watch your back.
So the policy of NYPD Blue is to have a female cop on lone patrol in that area. Beautiful policy, isn't it?

Old 09-08-2007, 07:56 AM

314 posts, read 492,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
So the policy of NYPD Blue is to have a female cop on lone patrol in that area. Beautiful policy, isn't it?
can you imagine the discrimination lawsuit against the nypd if it required female cops to have patrol partners in dangerous areas as opposed to their male counterparts or if it recognized a policy of assigning female cops to safer beats? some feminazi group would have a field day with that one and the city would have to pay an ungodly amount in damages....no matter how much sense your suggestion makes.

Old 09-08-2007, 08:02 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
Plus I hate to bring this up, but have you seen the size of a lot of female cops? Let's just say they aren't exactly dainty. I'm pretty sure they could handle themselves.

Old 09-08-2007, 08:13 AM

314 posts, read 492,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Plus I hate to bring this up, but have you seen the size of a lot of female cops? Let's just say they aren't exactly dainty. I'm pretty sure they could handle themselves.
yeah, i've seen the size of them, grossly overweighty. it's despicable. i could smoke a pack of reds and out-run all of them. i've heard that there are no physical fitness tests for nypd after they graduate the academy. if this is true, it is extremely disturbing. when i was in the army, we took physical fitness tests every 6 months. passing was considered substandard. most units demanded that soldiers earn no fewer than 240 pts (max. 300....passing is 180). those who did not were forced to do extra physical training.

cops should have even higher and stricter standards. most soldiers are placed in situations that will demand peak physical performance only once in a blue moon. cops routinely face situations that may demand peak physical performance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City