Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2012, 04:30 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,561,831 times

Advertisements

This is specifically for Seventh Floor, I've been wondering how Far Rock was able to have a black majority pop or what made black people move there in the first place cause it's not like Harlem or Bed Stuy, which have been a long standing black communities, nor is like many various neighborhoods in BK or BX that went through white flight. From what I understand, Far Rock was largely underdeveloped so was it the PJs alone that made it a black majority?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 05:14 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,698,340 times
My family has lived in the area since the 19th century. Far Rockaway always had development and commerce. It was originally part of Long Island,not NYC. There are still many homes there from the 1920s. After WWII, the area became predominantly Jewish. A large number of African-Americans came into the area during the late 60s when low income developments were built and "urban renewal" projects displaced many people. I would say that Far Rock did not become "majority" Black until the end of the 70s. Yes, it was mostly white flight that caused the shift in demographics.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:36 PM

34,080 posts, read 47,269,417 times
Coney nailed it....Majority of first people believe it or not in Arverne Houses were Jewish. Majority of Nordeck (where I live now) was Jewish when it was first built in 1960. Some people still have mezzizahs (sp) by their front door in here. Even Edgemere Houses was majority white in 1961 when they were first built. It was White flight that changed the demographic. Aslo the Arverne Urban Renewal. Edgemere Avenue and Beach 35th Street used to be the hangout strip back in the day for the Jewish. Every store lined Beach 35th Street from the ocean to the bay. All the buildings were razed in the early 60s.

I heard that one of the big events that occurred during the early 1970s was that Ocean Village was supposed to be kind of on the same level as a Mitchell Lama development, but there was a big fire in some housing project in Brooklyn, so they moved them all out to Ocean Village, and as a result, Ocean Village today is more dangerous than a lot of NYCHA, even though it is not NYCHA. I have not been able to find any documentation on this. Coney, have you ever heard of this story?

Bayswater still has a sizeable Jewish population FYI.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-02-2012, 08:40 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,561,831 times
Wow, didn't know that Far Rock had a huge Jewish population in the past, though I remember reading that Bayswater has a good number of Jewish people. So I guess Far Rock went through the same process as other neighborhoods in NYC with tearing down old buildings and replacing it with projects. I guessed that Far Rock was underdevelopment cause from the little I've seen, it came off to me that it some houses built, some projects built, and the rest was left vacant. Thanks for the info, both of you.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:07 AM

10 posts, read 95,550 times
Thanks for this good history tidbit on Far Rockaway.

Besides "The Bungalows of Rockaway", does anyone know any other good documentary on Far Rockaway history?

Old 03-02-2012, 03:20 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,127,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Some people still have mezzizahs (sp) by their front door in here.
Just throwing it out there, but it's "mezuzah"

Old 03-02-2012, 03:32 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,039,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
Wow, didn't know that Far Rock had a huge Jewish population in the past, though I remember reading that Bayswater has a good number of Jewish people. So I guess Far Rock went through the same process as other neighborhoods in NYC with tearing down old buildings and replacing it with projects. I guessed that Far Rock was underdevelopment cause from the little I've seen, it came off to me that it some houses built, some projects built, and the rest was left vacant. Thanks for the info, both of you.
If I'm not mistaken according to wikipedia there is still a sizablec presence in the area.

Far Rockaway, Queens - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-02-2012, 04:22 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,698,340 times
There's a sizable prescence of secular and Orthodox Jews in Bayswater and a community of non-Hassidic very Orthodox Jews in an area that became known as West Lawrence (but really Far Rockaway) during the 80s.

SeventhFloor, I didn't know you were in Nordeck. I used to have friends there before they left to get married. Nice apartments. I do remember when Ocean Village was built it was supposed to operate like a Mitchell Lama, but don't know anything about a fire. I'll ask some ex-Far Rock friends who are now spread throughout the US and my older brother, who remembers more about the area than me, about this topic.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
Edgemere Houses - previous site of the Rockaway airport
Arverne Houses - vacant
Beach 41st Street Houses - vacant
Redfern Houses - former slum
Hammels Houses - former slum
Carleton Manor - vacant i believe

Old 03-03-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
There's a sizable prescence of secular and Orthodox Jews in Bayswater and a community of non-Hassidic very Orthodox Jews in an area that became known as West Lawrence (but really Far Rockaway) during the 80s.

SeventhFloor, I didn't know you were in Nordeck. I used to have friends there before they left to get married. Nice apartments. I do remember when Ocean Village was built it was supposed to operate like a Mitchell Lama, but don't know anything about a fire. I'll ask some ex-Far Rock friends who are now spread throughout the US and my older brother, who remembers more about the area than me, about this topic.
If you could thanks....Also I heard that it was supposed to have way more buildings than it was supposed to now. One more odd thing - the towers have a Shore Front Parkway address but we know Shore Front Parkway doesnt run that far down, how odd....

And yeah, thats the view from my living room window in my profile pic.

Last edited by SeventhFloor; 03-04-2012 at 07:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City