Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2013, 01:15 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
Castle Hill looks good. It makes sense how it fizzles as you go East.

In the Soundview area, I would shrink that purple to encompass the worst of it:

•Watson Ave corridor between Colgate Ave and the Bronx River Parkway should be purple. I would leave that area west of the BX River Parkway Red to White Plains Rd.

•Bronxdale, Monroe, Soundview, and Sack Wern Projects should all be purple.

Other Bronx purple corridors off the top of my head:

•East 163rd Street between the Bruckner Expressway and Westchester Ave. Lotta dudes selling, big groups roaming, jumpings. It's that strip and those dense little side blocks.

•Ave St John between Southern Blvd and Timpson Place. Always been a hot spot since it's out of the way, street goes perpendicular there. Lots of loitering, dealing, jumpings.

•Fox Street between Ave St John And Interval Ave. Lots of section 8 housing.

•Mitchell, Mott Haven and Paterson Projects. That little triangle has always been really hot.

•Moore Projects, again, a Lotta dudes posted up. Heavy gang activity.

•Betances Projects (the main campus at least, 142nd to 145th, Brook to St Anns). Robberies.

•E 141st between St Ann's and Jackson. That's always been really, really hot. It's like a rap video out there.

•The collection of PJs from E 168th St to E 171st St. Includes Butler and a few others. It's really nasty around there. Like real ugly and bad vibe.

•Might as Well throw Sedgewick, Morrisania Air Rights, Jackson, Melrose, John Adams, St Mary's Park, Forest, and McKinley Houses all the Twin Parks PJs in there too.

•E 165th, Westchester Ave to the Sheridan. Lotta dealing.

These areas are all noticeably more ratchet then the gritty surrounding areas. There's more areas that warrant purple, but I'll have to give my opinion next time I'm in those areas. A lot of West Bronx locations vicinity of the GC but I have to be sure which blocks exactly.
All of these are no-go areas at day or night? I am familiar with some of the areas described, especially whatever projects u listed. Those I can see as purple, but re-evaluate the other areas before we start making all of these purple hot spots.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 06:06 PM

573 posts, read 1,462,588 times
According to what I've read from various posters on this board, I don't know if the area directly east of Yankee Stadium (below 165 st, from River Ave to Morris) deserves to be a red zone, maybe y'all should reconsider that too, I don't know...

Old 06-02-2013, 06:50 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchy93 View Post
According to what I've read from various posters on this board, I don't know if the area directly east of Yankee Stadium (below 165 st, from River Ave to Morris) deserves to be a red zone, maybe y'all should reconsider that too, I don't know...
The whole area isn't red.It's orange from River Ave over to the Grand Concourse,then red East of The Concourse.

Old 06-04-2013, 05:53 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,168,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
All of these are no-go areas at day or night? I am familiar with some of the areas described, especially whatever projects u listed. Those I can see as purple, but re-evaluate the other areas before we start making all of these purple hot spots.
All those areas are unpleasant even during the day. Not to say you are guaranteed to get mugged (that's not the case anywhere), but a lot of unsavory types loitering around even during office hours. Geographically they are not large areas either, just pockets.

And correction:

•Watson Ave corridor between Colgate/Close Ave and the Bronx River Parkway should be purple. I would leave that area East of the BX River Parkway, Red, to White Plains Rd.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:20 AM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
I agree.
I would label the actual Castle Hill projects red, and everything East of White Plains Road, currently red should be orange. I would extend that orange East to Castle Hill Avenue, as far north as Westchester Ave. The rest should remain yellow to Zerega.
I agree with the current labeling, but out of curiosity, how was it labeled before? I could've sworn I had most of Castle Hill orange, not red. Or did I have west of Olmstead as red and east of Olmstead as orange (I know I didn't have any yellow in that area).

Also to your list, you might want to add West 183rd between Jerome and Grand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
The whole area isn't red.It's orange from River Ave over to the Grand Concourse,then red East of The Concourse.
He's saying some of the areas between the GC & Morris (south of 165th) should be orange, in addition to those west of the GC. It makes sense, and as I've said before, I do think more portions of the South Bronx should have a lower shading.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:09 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,050,733 times
I vouch for west 183rd between jerome and grand. That two block stretch is as bad as it gets. Crackheads, bums, and drug dealers. It was so unfriendly for buisness that mcdonalds on the corner of davidson went out of buisness.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:03 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,327,637 times
Also in Queens I think Electchester east of Parsons should be unshaded. Electchester is really innocent, especially compared to the next-door Pomonok

Old 06-07-2013, 10:00 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
I vouch for west 183rd between jerome and grand. That two block stretch is as bad as it gets. Crackheads, bums, and drug dealers. It was so unfriendly for buisness that mcdonalds on the corner of davidson went out of buisness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Also in Queens I think Electchester east of Parsons should be unshaded. Electchester is really innocent, especially compared to the next-door Pomonok
Both of those are updated now.

Old 06-25-2013, 03:31 PM

420 posts, read 698,040 times
Your Brooklyn map is not credible. I don't know what your real motive is but you should be ashamed of yourself.

Old 06-25-2013, 04:25 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROAM NYC View Post
Your Brooklyn map is not credible. I don't know what your real motive is but you should be ashamed of yourself.
The maps are a collaboration of dozens of CD users and the only motive has been accuracy.They have evolved with input from residents of each borough.If you read the thread you will see how various neighborhoods evolved to be what colors they are.

Actually,I think the Brooklyn map might be the most accurate of them all right now.Care to explain what you think is wrong with it ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City