Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 11:33 AM

1 posts, read 929 times

Advertisements

Hi there - I'm new to this site but a long-time writer/author and I'm "homegrown" in Staten Island; lived thru the good, the bad and the ugly. Wish they would bring back more community social centers for the "aging teenager". Would love to see more dance studios like Fred Astaire.

Thanks guys

Last edited by lori_b; 06-02-2012 at 11:34 AM.. Reason: Omitted the Thank you part
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 06:05 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,636,001 times
Wasap with Concord? Google shows the shortest commute time from there
And, what bout Arrochar, South Beach and Dongan Hills? They look nice. Seems like these are the neighborhoods I should be looking at for a decent commute to John Jay? Someone mentioned quite a few Russians live in those areas?

Last edited by OleSchoolFool; 06-03-2012 at 06:42 PM..

Old 06-03-2012, 07:00 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,130,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
Wasap with Concord? Google shows the shortest commute time from there
And, what bout Arrochar, South Beach and Dongan Hills? They look nice. Seems like these are the neighborhoods I should be looking at for a decent commute to John Jay? Someone mentioned quite a few Russians live in those areas?
It's alright. To the north, you have Park Hill, which is pretty bad (Personally, I've been there a few times without incident, but from what everybody says, it's still not too great).

The other areas are fine, but I think Dongan Hills is a little too far out (And I don't think it has a whole lot of Russians).

If you were traveling entirely during rush hour, you might be a little bit better off on the West Shore, since the buses go over the Goethals Bridge and through the Lincoln Tunnel, but that's only rush hours.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:07 PM

I'll prolly be starting my commute between 9-11am. I guess the rush hr is like at 7am? Too early prolly
Do I buy express bus tickets at a bus or somewhere else?

This is kinda offtopic, but it seems like there is quite a few Russian restaurants in SI, which is very good. Btw, anyone try Russian food? Far as I know, most of the people eating Russian food are of Russian descent, like you not gonna see any Americans there on a regular basis. That's what even the waiters told me. I wonder why is that. Americans chow all the other peoples' food without problems. Russian food is DA BOMB.

Last edited by OleSchoolFool; 06-03-2012 at 08:31 PM..

Old 06-27-2012, 09:17 AM

How's the commute from Staten Island to Midtown using express buses and then subway? (I'd need to go to John Jay)
Would like feedback from people who actually did it
How reliable are those buses? How crowded are they? Is this type of commute acceptable?

Old 06-27-2012, 04:37 PM

387 posts, read 680,436 times
Quote:
How's the commute from Staten Island to Midtown using express buses and then subway? (I'd need to go to John Jay)
Would like feedback from people who actually did it
How reliable are those buses? How crowded are they? Is this type of commute acceptable?
Again, thbis depends on where you catch the bus on SI. The closer to the bridge that you get on the shorter the ride will be, also what time of day are you going. I would say you are looking at an hour & 20 mins to an hour & 45 mins.

I know people who take the express bus, get off downtown & jump on the train to get to midtown & that takes almost 35 mins off the commute.

Old 06-27-2012, 04:38 PM

387 posts, read 680,436 times
Quote:
I'll prolly be starting my commute between 9-11am. I guess the rush hr is like at 7am? Too early prolly
Do I buy express bus tickets at a bus or somewhere else?

This is kinda offtopic, but it seems like there is quite a few Russian restaurants in SI, which is very good. Btw, anyone try Russian food? Far as I know, most of the people eating Russian food are of Russian descent, like you not gonna see any Americans there on a regular basis. That's what even the waiters told me. I wonder why is that. Americans chow all the other peoples' food without problems. Russian food is DA BOMB.
Those Russian returants aren't open to the public. They are fronts for the Russian mob.

Old 06-27-2012, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Punisher View Post
Again, thbis depends on where you catch the bus on SI. The closer to the bridge that you get on the shorter the ride will be, also what time of day are you going. I would say you are looking at an hour & 20 mins to an hour & 45 mins.

I know people who take the express bus, get off downtown & jump on the train to get to midtown & that takes almost 35 mins off the commute.
That's what I would be doing, google maps say I have to get off near rector st and take subway to columbus circle in order to get to John Jay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City