Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 02:22 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,702,074 times

Advertisements

I agree with the other fellow NYers. Take a taxi You will experienced the traffic that other NYers experience everyday
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 01:40 PM

991 posts, read 1,770,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JockColeman View Post
How much does it cost for a taxi into Manhattan (W 54th Street) If theres two travelling at $15 each is the taxi any more expensive??
Its roughly $55 including tips.

Depending on where you are on W 54th St you could easily do the Airtrain to Jamaica and the E to 53rd and 7th. That's $14.50 for the both of you (saving $40). Its easily doable if you each have one rolling suitcase with the main problem being getting onto and off the subway platform.

The other alternative is a private shuttle into town which is around $40 or the New York Airport Service bus which is $30 plus tip with a free shuttle service to hotels from Grand Central.

Old 09-22-2009, 01:41 PM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
never took the airtrain to jamaica before, but at howard beach, there are escalators and elevators at the transfer point between the airtrain and A train. so you're not exactly catching a hernia hoisting your luggage up a flight of steps. i've done the airtrain a few times, and i must say it actually feels good to not be able to depend on somebody to drop you off or pick you up from the airport. and picking someone up from jfk in a car is hell. the port authority cops are quick to give you a ticket, and parking is like 6 bucks an hour.
In Jamaica the transfer between the subway and the Airtrain is very convenient. There are elevators, escalators and a moving sidewalk (on the bridge crossing over the LIRR platforms). I was referring to the fact that most subway stations at the other end (either your starting point or destination depending if you are coming or going to JFK) there are no elevators/escalators and you have to carry heavy bags up or down stairs (again depending in which direction you are traveling).

Old 09-22-2009, 05:02 PM

90 posts, read 286,061 times
Hmm, seems like 'real New Yorkers' are softer than I thought... What's up with all the snide comments about 'real NYers' never take public trans to JFK.

I find the public trans in NY to be super convenient. I take public trans every time I travel between JFK and midtown east side where I live, it's fairly easy and very reliable. I travel on average once or twice a month mostly on weekends, so being stuck in a cab during rush hour stressing out about missing my flight is not my idea of fun. I'd rather take a much more reliable subway which isn't affected by traffic.

There are many ways to get to JFK and save tons of money on cab fare. I don't know about 45 per trip (is this including toll?, no way), but I was never able to to get that, it's more like 60 that they'd quote to you. also, it's a looong ride, it's not like you'll be saving time and if there is traffic you can be in worse situation than those taking subway.

If you travel very rarely and have heavy luggage taking a cab does make sense, especially if there is more than one of you. If you always travel direction/time of heavy subway traffic, I can see why getting stuck with your luggage on a crowded subway is a pain. But if you travel light on weekend trips and travel very often cab fares are quite a nasty addition to your airfare that you can easily avoid.

Really, taking subway (esp E line) to Airtran is fairly straightforward and very convenient with carry-on. the transition between subway and Airtran (using either Howard Beach or Jamaica Station ) is seamless. You have to just heave you bag up and down subway stairs, when you get to Airtran there are escalators and elevators everywhere.

It takes me betw 1 hr to 1.5 hr and that includes 10 min hike to the nearest subway (L train). when I come back which is usually late Sunday night, I take E train instead and then take a cab to my place. I usually get a seat on all my subway rides without any problem. Broadway Junction (which is the station I had to transfer from L to A) is not a fun place to be at night, I can see why ppl think it's sketchy, so, I take E train instead. But during the rush hour it's so packed, it really is nothing to be worried about, I don't think it's scary at all.

If you live not too close to subway and the weather is particularly nasty, take a cab to the E line or A line nearest station. It shouldn't be expensive, for me it's less than 7 bucks to get to E line.

I save tons of money on cab fare and I always know exactly how much time I need to get the airport without worrying about traffic. I guess I am not a 'real NYer'.. oh well.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:59 AM

1 posts, read 4,216 times
So, sounds like the shuttle is the best idea! If not the Super Shuttle which?
There'll be 4 of us with 4 suitcases. Would a taxi take 4? How much?

Old 09-11-2011, 01:58 PM

1 posts, read 3,066 times
Hi guys, I'm new at the site, I'm going to NY on December, I have a stop of 8 hours and I'm thinking about visiting a little of Manhattan, which way would be the best of going to, according to you?. thanks a lot.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:36 AM

5,999 posts, read 7,100,891 times
I'm currently in the airport in Greenville, SC. I'll get into JFK around 2:00pm and am staying at the Residence Inn Times Square. I have 1 big suitcase, any suggestions other than a really expensive cab would be great. Lugging a big suitcase through the subway sounds daunting. Thanks

Old 04-05-2012, 07:57 AM

5,999 posts, read 7,100,891 times
I just booked Super Shuttle online. I found a $3 coupon online and my total including tip was $20 door to door. I'm happy.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:39 PM

80 posts, read 308,354 times
I've always found the Airtran + LIRR to be the best. Especially with some luggage, the LIRR has space to store it (especially at off hours). There are frequent trains even at the strangest hours, and is really pretty cheap. I think taking the Supershuttle FROM the airport is fine - but I hear so many horror stories about taking them TO the airport, which is obviously much more time sensitive. You might consider the LIRR for your return trip
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City