Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 09:24 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,357,309 times

Advertisements

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/01/ed...&smid=fb-share

All were offered seats based on their merits alone, having scored high enough on the SHSAT exam. Congratulations to all.

I attribute the shift (the first since 2007) to some advocacy work being done at the community level. People informing each other of the existence of these schools and telling parents to get their kids studying early.

I encourage ALL NYC residents to prepare their kids for the SHSAT exam as an option because getting an education at one of these 8 schools is FREE and respected nationwide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 01:43 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,491,371 times
Great news!

Old 03-10-2012, 03:01 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,812,951 times
This is a great post... I truly hope that this trend continues. thank you for posting

Old 03-10-2012, 06:05 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,924,214 times
This is probably due to the fact that many poor black/hispanics are leaving, and many middle class ones are replacing them.

Old 03-10-2012, 06:24 PM

423 posts, read 1,281,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
This is probably due to the fact that many poor black/hispanics are leaving, and many middle class ones are replacing them.
Or it could also be due to the influx of new hispanics in the 80s/90s. (ecuadorians, colombians, mexicans, dominicans). Many are children to recent immigrants, and just like the carribean blacks and eastern europeans, many value education.

Old 03-10-2012, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
I don't think so. I think it is because people found out about the schools and knew they had to prepare for the exam. Actually, in the case of African American/blacks, the reverse of what you've stated above has happened.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:41 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,095,470 times
This is good news but all the kids from my school ....all...in the last 5 years .....have been kids of immigrant parents,from Africa and Central America.Sometimes it feels like if they don't make it in the first generation it gets immeasurably more difficult because they become too influenced by the prevailing culture which places no value on education.

Let's hope the trend continues and expands.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:03 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,361,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
I don't think so. I think it is because people found out about the schools and knew they had to prepare for the exam. Actually, in the case of African American/blacks, the reverse of what you've stated above has happened.
This is not it.

I can only speak for Brooklyn but I'd bet the vast majority of Black students who made it were of west Indian/Carribean heritage. West Indian/Carribean black folks have a sizable middle class in Brooklyn. They are either self employed in small businesses or work for the City.

If I had to guess, I'd say that if you looked at the immigration patterns the influx of West Indian/Carribean Blacks started sometime in the mid 90's.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:39 AM

93 posts, read 331,631 times
That's great. It is posts such as these that keeps race issues alive. You most likely were just making an innocent post, but what does it matter what nationality/race they are. They are doing better as a group of KIDS so just leave it at that.

I don't understand why certain races have to be pointed out. people are people, kids are kids. Not black or latino kids....

Old 03-12-2012, 11:38 AM

I point out race because that change downward was so dramatic and even we who are alumni didn't realize. We started doing advocacy and suddenly the needle moved. Maybe just slightly but it is a cause for us to rejoice. We want every kid in NYC to get a top notch education, and our teams of alums spoke with every parent or child who came to our table at the HS fair regardless of their race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City