Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 06:07 PM

1,526 posts, read 5,604,202 times

Advertisements

SuperMario:

3 am, yes. Not wise to wander around at that hour. But as I said, I live here. I'm aware of the good and bad.

I had the impression that you don't live here, but are inquiring re; 'hoods. Thus, the same criteria applies: if you haven't lived it, you don't really know it.

Old 09-10-2007, 06:12 PM

1,526 posts, read 5,604,202 times
Hustla, that was a very interesting post. I think you are basically a pessimist about life in general, so this thread is just an extension of that. But considering your experiences, which I can't fully imagine, I can't say I blame you.

Old 09-10-2007, 06:47 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,050,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvira Black View Post
SuperMario:

3 am, yes. Not wise to wander around at that hour. But as I said, I live here. I'm aware of the good and bad.

I had the impression that you don't live here, but are inquiring re; 'hoods. Thus, the same criteria applies: if you haven't lived it, you don't really know it.
Umm what are you talking about?

I live in the South Bronx...so how don't I know it? Im also a hispanic which means those "thugs" are my peoples. Meaning that I chill with them on the block. You shouldn't talk about the hood because you dont live in the 'hood part of the Bronx from what I can gather.

Old 09-10-2007, 06:48 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,800,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briarwood View Post
"Huddled Masses"? Hardley. The poor in this country live like the rich in the third world. LES hasn't been "huddled" since the 1920s. Did you have to share bathrooms like the immigrants did? Or live 3-4 to a room? Don't think so.
I would have to disagree with this statement.

With todays high housing cost, the poor in NYC do live 3-4 to a room. In fact it's always been that way. Only more extreme today then it has been for decades. Bathrooms are not shared, only becuase of advances in tecnology. A lot cheaper to make bathrooms and get the parts needed. It's also more sanitary, shared tiolets lead to diesese. It effects more then just the poor. The rich in the third world live like the rich in the USA. The poor in the 3rd world are a mix between our homeless and lower income people. Our poor have the advantage of welfare programs. Also the opportunity to climb out of poverty. Not all will, but the chance is there for most. The biggest difference is an almost non existant middle class in the 3rd world.

As for the hyped hoods. Harlem and parts of Brooklyn were and are not hype. Areas like Cambria Heights are unfairly classified by many (Lumped in with the undesireable sections of southeastern Queens), but Bed-stuy, place is the hood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
It depends on the area you live in. Some (very few) areas of The Bronx are nice, suburban, quiet, clean etc etc. If you lived anywhere in the South Bronx you would know that the dangers are real. For example, yesterday I heard gun shots at 3 am on W 183rd street and Andrews Ave. Now some of the people in the neighborhood just fire shots to fire. Or it could of been a drug related crime etc etc. If you live in The Bronx you have to be aware of your sorroundings. Just cause people appear "nice", doesn't mean that they really are. Whatever you do, don't let your guard down.
Very true. The Bronx has it's serious ghettos like that neighborhood, but there are decent areas like anywhere else. Riverdale, Country Club, Throgs Neck, ect... Unfortunately the Bronx has a lot more undesireable areas packed within a smaller distance then most places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvira Black View Post
Hustla, that was a very interesting post. I think you are basically a pessimist about life in general, so this thread is just an extension of that. But considering your experiences, which I can't fully imagine, I can't say I blame you.
Negative. Ask anyone from the ghetto. Any male Black or Puerto Rican. They will tell you the EXACT same thing. I'm not a passimist. It honestly doesn't bother me. You just asked. I deal with it. I just feel the rent is a rip off for what I get. Of course it would drive most crazy if they were suddenly thrown into this world. So unless they want to deal with this bull****, and most don't, I don't recommend these ghetto neighborhoods. They drag you down anyway.

You are a White female. We may live in the same city, but our worlds are completely different.

Old 09-10-2007, 07:00 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,202,996 times
Thread closed as it was turning into more than prejudice issues but race
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City